What's new

Are Rotel Pre/Pro's any good? (2 Viewers)

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Jim,

Go right ahead and mention it. I've had several emails back and forth with him over the last 2-3 months and he's always been very helpful. Let me know what you find out. I'm curious what he says about the 1075.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Larry, I thought the same thing.

If you are hooking up a multichannel SACD player to the Rotel, you would need the 6 analog connectors. What do you do for 2 channel pass through for Redbook? The Redbook comes out of the analog outs on my 555ES player and if there isn't a analog direct 2 channel input (ignoring the 6.1 inputs), then that's a huge mistake IMO. Even when playing a 2 channel SACD on the 555, I still use the direct analog outs. I don't touch the L&R outputs from the 6.1 outs.

Sounds like they cheated a bit there. No? Or am I just totally confused?

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
I took the time to type up the text for the Rotel pre/pro from the PDF brochure (cause I'm such a cool guy)

It seems nice but it has no tuner....oh well:

RSP-1066

The RSP-1066 Surround Processor/Preamplifier combines-as do all the 10 Series components-flexibility, superior performance, and easy operation.

The RSP-1066’s extraordinary flexibility begins with inputs and outputs to easily accommodate the most demanding system configuration. You can connect up to eight sources, five of them video-based, plus a CD player, external tuner, and an analog tape recorder. In addition, there are five assignable digital audio inputs, 3 coaxial and 2 optical. And a seven channel “Multi” Input keeps the RSP-1066 ahead of the “future-format” curve.

To increase your viewing pleasure, the RSP-1066 includes inputs and switching for composite, S-video, and component video sources. Custom ID capability lets users program the front panel display so that all the A/V inputs selections display the name of the selected component.

Advanced microprocessors from Crystal Semiconductor handle Dolby Digital (complete with dynamic range adjustments), dts, and Dolby Pro Logic II decoding. The RSP-1066 also automatically detects and decodes dts ES, dts ES Discrete, HDCD, and MP3-encoded audio. There’s also dts Neo:6 mode of cinema sound and music. Six other DSP modes (Music 1-4, 5 CH Stereo, and 7 CH Stereo) complement traditional two-channel stereo operation to make the RSP-1066 more than suitable for any source.

An adjustable subwoofer crossover (40 to 120Hz in 20 Hz increments and Off) lets you tune the RSP-1066’s response to perfectly match your preferences, too.

The RSP-1066 boasts two additional preamplifier outputs to feed, through appropriate amplification, an additional pair of speakers. This gives home theater enthusiast, particularly those with larger rooms, the spatial benefits of the newest surround formats. To full protect your investment, this advanced processor benefits from upgradable software, too.

To keep potential confusion at bay, you can link a processing mode to a particular input so that, for example, selecting “CD” automatically invokes two channel operation while “DVD” calls up Dolby Digital as the default setting.

The RSP-1066 easily integrates into the most advanced custom-designed systems. There’s an RS-232 computer interface, 12 volt “trigger” outputs, and discrete on/off remote control command codes. Multi-source/multi-zone operation even allows volume adjustment of the remote zone from the RSP-1066’s front panel. A fully programmable universal remote control makes operation of the RSP-1066 and up to nine other components fingertip-easy.

We’ve left for last what some regard as Rotel’s most salients point-sound quality. If any one thing distinguishes the RSP-1066 from its erstwhile competition, it is the exacting care in parts selection, circuit design with particular attention to the power supply, and extensive listening test, The result is clear audible superiority.

Typically flexible. Typically convenient. Typically Rotel

New-Full 7.1 Operation

Rotel XS (Expanded Surround) delivers full 7.1

Performance from 6.1 encodes discs. Simply add

A stereo amplifier to the extra back channel

outputs and enjoy greater depth and realism in

your movies compatible with dts ES and Dolby EX

Specs:

Audio

THD< 0.06%

IM Distortion (60Hz:7kHz)< 0.06%

Freq. Response10Hz –96kHz +/- 1dB (line level)

10Hz –20kHz +/- 0.3dB (digital level)

S/N ratio (IHF A-weighted)96dB (Stereo) Analog

92dB (Dolby Digital,dts) 0 dBFs

Input Sensitivity/Impedanceline level, 200mV/47 kohms

Tone controls (Bass, Treble)+/-8dB at 100kHz/10kHz

Preamp Output Level1.2V (200mV input)

Video

Freq. Response3Hz-10MHz, +/-3dB

S/N ratio45dB

Input Impedance75 Ohms

Output level1 Volt

General

Power Consumption40 Watts

Power Requirements (AC)115 volts. 60Hz (US version)

230 volts. 50Hz (CE version)

Weight7.6kg/16.7lbs

Dimensions (W x H x D)432 x 122 x 341mm

17” x 4 7/8” x 13 1/2"

Front Panel Height109mm/45/16”

(feet removed/for rack mount)

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Guys, I'm a simple 2 channel stereo guy for most of my music. OK, sometimes I like 5 channel stereo too. I love concerts on DVD, but don't plan on going to DVD-A or SACD anytime in the near future. By that I mean 3-5 years. Does the pass thru issue effect a guy like me?

Also the tuner thing is not an issue for me either. In the 3 years I've had my HT I've never once used the tuner on my receiver. I don't even have a wire for the antenna hooked up. I never realized it until now that I've never used the tuner. I guess because I listen to the radio on the drive to work and just want really good sound at home, so I ussually buy CDs for the songs I like.

Oh yeah, Kelly your a madman. Thanks for taking the time to type it up.

Rob Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Larry,
I'd be surprised if you couldn't get an Integra for say $3150 plus tax.
Not that that isn't a lot of money, but it isn't $4K either.
That is my second choice (RDC-7) behind the VW 950.
I'll leave it up to you to decide what VW stands for:D

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Sounds to me Legairre like you should be all set, but for someone like me who has an SACD player that uses 8 analog connections (6 for multichannel and 2 for Redbook), it seems like I'm screwed, In order to get straight pass through for my Redbook material, I would have to swap cables all around. I'm sorry but that's not going to work. In fact, just typing this it almost seems like somebody dropped the ball at Rotel. Why offer pass through on a medium almost nobody has right now (DVD-A or SACD) and NOT offer it for Redbook? I know most people who don't have this technology will hook up their Redbook players to the 6.1 inputs and be good to go, but if that's the case then the unit truly isn't "futureproof" because when these same customers get this technology, it will have to come at the expense of the Redbook 2 channel playback? (or use the DAC's in the Rotel if firewire has been approved). Will the Rotel even have firewire (my god I sound like Razvan!).
It really doesn't make any sence to me if you look at it carefully. You know, I was almost off the Outlaw bandwagon here. The Rotel even looked SOOO much better. What a shame!:thumbsdown:

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Thanks Evan,

It sounds like I'll still be all set. I agree though. It sounds like they cut corners and dropped the ball on this one. Probably to keep the price down. So far it seems to have everything I want/need for the forseable future. So for me it's either the AT P2000 or the Rotel. Both will suit my needs. I'll have to listen to both and see which one sounds best.

Larry,

I guess I didn't know DVD-A or SACD was also a 2 channel format. I must admit it's something I just haven't gotten into yet. I'm sure I'll be hooked once I do though.

Thanks

Legairre

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'm lucky that I don't have an SACD player. I currently use my DVD player for cd's and when I upgrade my DVD player it will be DVD-A capable.

I'm kind of new to the whole pass-through thing. Could someone please give me the 'quick and dirty' explanation for how I would connect the DVD-A player (say the RP-91)? Would I connect via digital coaxial for DVD playback AND the 6.1 connection for DVD-A? Is it one or the other? If it IS one or the other and I use the 6.1 connections then is DVD-V bass management done the same way as when connected via digital coaxial?

Sorry for the newbie question. I listen to a fair bit of 2 channel as well as 5 channel music. I want to make sure that I'm not limiting my options if I go with the new Rotel.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
When you use one of the high resolution formats (SACD/DVD-A), you need to use the analog outs for each channel (L,R,C,SR,SL,Sub) and cannot use a digital connection (for now). I've heard this is so because of the massive amounts of information that gets passed cannot be handled digitially due to bandwidth restritions (and copy protection issues from software manufacturers), but the technical aspects of why this is so I'm not entirely sure.

Anyway, you need to have 6 analog connections for DVD-A or multichannel SACD hooked up to the 6.1 analog inputs of today's top end receivers and pre/pros. The normal 2 channel operation (or two channel SACD) go through the main analog outputs of your CD/SACD player. DVD-A players use the digital coax or toslink for DVD-V playback of course.

If the Rotel only offers pass through for the 6.1 inputs, like Larry said, I would have DSP processing on my normal 2 channel Redbook operation. I don't want that.

My question is this. Why does pass through cost more money for the manufacturer? If no processing is done on the signal, and the unit basically takes the signal and passes it along to the volume control, why does this cost more money than if the unit has to react and process the signal. Seems like it would be cheaper the other way around.

george king

Supporting Actor
Hey guys, interesting conversation. I am a bit confused. I know that the DVD-A and SACD streams are sent through the 6 analog outputs. However, I was also under the impression that standard Redbook could also be output through the L and R outs used for DVD-A and SACD. Am I wrong?

If I am wrong, how good are the DACs in the 1066? I currently use an old Toshiba SD-2006 DVD player as a CD transport (to a Yamaha 995 used as a preamp, and a Rotel 1075 amp). Would the DACs in the 1066 be that much better than the 995?

Also, Legairre as to current draw on the 1075. I would be interested to know. The first 2 months I had the amp, I left it on 24/7. My electric bill jump $60 each month, and nothing else really changed all that much.

Thanks in advance

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
George, you can play 2 channel Redbook through the 6.1 outputs on the Sony I have, but the sound DRAMATICALLY improves if I use the main 2 channel analog outs. Again, why this is so, I'm not sure. Perhaps RicP can chime in with his thoughts...he's the SACD Sony master..him and KeithH.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
George,

Jim is checking on the current of the 1075. I have the 1095 and found out through Rotel that even though the manual states a power consumption of 800w it's actually more like 1600w. I use the 12v trigger on mine so it's in standy mode when not in use. When I turn on my receiver the amp comes on. When the amp is triggered my the receiver it gets only mildly warm. When it's in standby mode it's cold as ice just like it's not even plugged in so I'd guess I'm not using as much power in standy(at least that's how it should work). I 've only been using it since Christmas so I'm not sure about the utility bill yet. Besides during Christmas time my utility bill is always higher(too many Christmas lights). I'll have to compare January with maybe last October and November.

george king

Supporting Actor
Legairre,

Yes I read the other posts that Jim was checking on it. The 1075 never gets more than slightly warm, but I generally do not listen at high volumes. When not in use, but still on, it may be just a little warm, but definitely not cold. Unfortunately, the Yamaha 995 I am using as a preamp does not have 12V triggers, otherwise I would use that.

I remember reading somewhere that Class A amp designs can suck a lot of power if they just sit there, always on, so since the 1075 and 1095 are both Class A/B designs, it would make sense that it is sucking power. I was just kind of amazed that the bill jumped that much.

Maybe I can convince my wife that trading in the Yamaha for the Rotel preamp would pay for itself in a year through reduced energy costs by using the triggers.

Just a thought. Thanks for all of the info. This has been a great thread.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
George,
Does the 995 have a switched AC on the back? If it does you could do what I do(thanks to members here). Get a 12v radio shack adapter and plug it into the back of the receiver and run that to the 12v trigger on the 1075. Here's the one I have. It even comes with interchangable plugs for the amps 12v trigger. Works great.:emoji_thumbsup:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=273%2D1662

george king

Supporting Actor
Legairre,

You are great man. Yes, the 995 has a switched outlet. I will have to go get one tommorrow.

You are a life saver.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
George,

Make sure you connect the POS on the adaptaplug to the POS on the adapters end. And the NEG on the adaptaplug to the NEG on the adapters end. They don't mark them. You just have to try it both ways unless you get it right the first time. Otherwise it won't work. It's really simple but if you have a problem you can always email me.

Also don't forget to flip the switch on the back of the 1075 to enable the 12v trigger. I'm assuming the 1075 has a switch because the 1095 does.

W

Will

That leaves your 2 channel music to be processed through the DSP's without a direct path. Which would degrade 2 channel music if you've got a decent CD player.
I'm not sure I understand the problem. Can't we get analog passthrough, using 2 of the 6 DVD-A analog passthrough lines?
And if there's any sort of digital passthrough feature, for CD playback, all the better. Don't know if there is, though. I'd imagine the D/A's in the Rotel pre/pro are better than the D/A's in most CD players at whatever time the Rotel comes out. Although yes, I know later, in the future, newer CD players inevitably will have better D/A's. (Just as newer pre/pro's will as well).

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Legairre and George,

I didn't get a chance to fire off an email today so I won't have an answer on the 1075 power draw until tomorrow. I'll let you know when I hear back.

I would think that it would be less than the draw of the 1095 but I could be wrong.

Thanks to all for the explanation of DVD-A and SACD connection.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Will, YES, you can use two of the six analog pass through lines for 2 channel playback, but the problem comes if you have a DVD-A or SACD player that requires those 6 inputs to be used by the Hi-Rez player. Then what do you do for your regular 2 channel Redbook playback? Owners like that (me) are stuck.

My Sony will give me output in 2 channel through the 6.1 outputs, but it far underperforms the results I get when using the stereo L/R outputs specifically for 2 channel playback.

The Rotel should have offered pass through for ALL analog inputs, not just the 6.1 inputs....like Outlaw did. I hate to say it, but I will probably have to just wait (and wait) on Outlaw.

Can't we just put the Outlaw 950 in the Chassis of the Rotel? That would solve all my problems!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks