Best Sounding AVR+Source Player in Redbook CD Category under $3000?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jay_WJ, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Jay_WJ

Jay_WJ Auditioning

This question may not be easy to answer. But I hope some of you can make good suggestions based on experience.

What is the best solution to equipments (AVR+source player) for a mainly CD listening system under $3000 (when street prices apply)?

I know that CD has an inherent limitation in its format. But I also have to admit that my music collection is mostly in CDs. I wouldn't care about connection method---whether digital or analog---as long as better results can be obtained. This means that it doesn't matter whether I use DAC on AVR or on a CD (or DVD) player. The player can be either a universal or dedicated CD player. In case I end up choosing a CD player, I can buy a separate $200-$300 DVD player for HT use.

I'm going to use these for 70% music and 30% movie in 18x26 space. I'll match these with my current Wharfedale Pacific speakers, but will consider an upgrade later. Below is a list of models I found worth considering.

AVR:
    - Denon 3805,6 or 4806
    - Pioneer Elite VSX-56TXi or VSX-59TXi (or the new 74TXVi)
    - NAD T773 Receiver or T163/T973 pre-pro/power combo
    - Outlaw Audio 990 pre-pro and a power amp combo

Source player:
    - Denon DVD-2910 or 3910
    - Pioneer Elite DV-45A or DV-59AVi
    - NAD or Rotel's dedicated CD player
    - Other universal or CD players I'm not aware of

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Jay from Columbus, Ohio

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

My suggestion would be the Arcam AVR300 ($2K list) and the matching DV78 DVD/CD player ($1K list). Another solution would be to get the Jolida 100A tube CD player and pick up a cheaper DVD player for movies. The Jolida lists for $900 so with the various discounts I'm sure there would be room for a decent DVD player. I also sent you a PM.

3. Jay_WJ

Jay_WJ Auditioning

Thanks, Andrew. I read some good reviews on Arcam's AV receiver and universal player. And I know some of its CD players have been widely acclaimed. But actually I remember I was disappointed when I auditioned its entry-level integrated amplifier about 10 years ago. I don't know how good its current AVR model is. Is it that good? You probably have some experience with it, don't you?

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Yes I've spent some time with their line up and the new Arcam's are very well regarded...esp in Europe. For CD players though I'd lean towards the Jolida for a smoother sounding player but that's more personal preference. Sherwood-Newcastles R965 receiver is a beast as well that's well priced for the features it offers and its got the analog bypass mode that you'd need.