What's new

Are Rotel Pre/Pro's any good? (1 Viewer)

george king

Supporting Actor
I was looking at the manual for the RSX 1065 and had one observation. The manual says that the 1065 does DPL II, and DTS matrix and discrete. It also does DD. However, the manual does not say if it does DD matrix. Was this an oversight, or doesn't it do the matrixed version of DD?

Thanks

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Earlier versions of the 991s and especially 993 amps (2x200 and 3x200) were known to heat-up and have the protection circuitry shut it down. When I had them, I ended up using 3 of the 5 channels of the 5x100 (985) amp since it put out about the same power (with only 3 channels driven) as the 993 without the problems.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for that info Grant. I hadn't heard of anyone experiencing problems with Rotel amps, only the pre/pro's and receivers.

I'll keep it in mind but I suspect that it falls under the heading of 'every manufacturer has a lemon or two'. I would have hated to be you in that situation though.

It's probably naive of me to think that separates are less likely to have problems compared to receivers.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I spoke with my dealer this morning. He says he should have the new rotel pre/pro in a few weeks(he's probably just very optomistic). I'd bet it's more like most of you say(around March).

He confirmed the $1499.00 price and said the model number is RSP-1066.

W

Will

I spoke to my Rotel dealer too and he said the new pre/pro has upgraded components compared to the RSX 1065, besides having new A/D's and D/A's and DPL 2 and DD EX, it has bass management crossover points that can vary like Lexicon's, in something like 10 Hz increments.

And, while the Rotel factory told him the pre/pro will be available in mid-February, my dealer says to NOT expect it to be available then. He has no idea when it will really be available. He'll wait until he gets 'em from the factory.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Ah, Will your killing me. Now I definately have to wait for the Rotel. Heck if I don't like it my dealer has a 30 day return policy and I don't have to mail anything back to the manufacturer(if you know what I mean).

Thanks for the info Will.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I'll tell you what, I've given Outlaw the benefit of the doubt all along, but I would give serious consideration to the Rotel if it indeed beats the Outlaw to the market. Otherwise, a 30 day money back guarantee will give Outlaw a chance if they come first. Let the race begin...gentlemen start your engines.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Well, the new Rotel certainly gets better with every post.:) I hope that it's well built and problem free. I looks like it's going to have all of the features that I consider important. The flexible bass management setting is a key feature for me so it's good to hear that it might be in 10hz increments.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Jim,

Flexible bass management is my #1 priority. The more I can fine tune my settings the better. If it really is in 10hz increments then that's just icing on my cake. I agree let's hope it sounds good. Is reliable. And has all these features and more being rumored.

W

Will

You can find a picture of the back of the RSP-1066 on page 20 of the PDF. It may or may not be too fuzzy to read all the inputs.

I suspect the RSP-1066 will have a pass-through capability since many people won't want to buy a pre/pro without the capability these days. I can't confirm or deny it however. I agree with you that if it turns out it didn't have a pass-through capability, that this would be a competitive disadvantage.

One thing I noticed the Rotel RSP-1066 doesn't have which Outlaw 950 does, is an 80 Hz analog high-pass filter for DVD-A and SACD. This is not a deal killer for me. Personally I would NOT want the pristine sound of DVD-A to be high-passed at 80 Hz. But others whose speakers don't go down much below 80 Hz, may want the 80 Hz analog high-pass for DVD-A.

george king

Supporting Actor
Matthew,

On pg. 7 of the pdf, in small print under the picture of the 1066 the brochure says it is compatible with DD EX.

Hope this helps.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Will,
YOU JUST MADE MY DAY:emoji_thumbsup:. Thanks for the link. I just sent an email to Rotel to check on the 2 channel pass thu and the direct audio inputs for DVD-A or SACD.
I'll let you guys know when I hear something.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for following up on the 2 channel pass-through Legairre. I'm looking forward to hearing what you find out.

Thanks for the link Will.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Talk about a fast response. I just got a reply back from Rotel. The conversation is below.
ME
Tim,
You've been so helpful in the past that I just could'nt resist bugging you with this question. I've seen the new pre/pro in the 2002 product catalog and I have a question. Does sthe RSP-1066 have the following features. I didn't notice them in the calalog anywhere.
1.) 2 Channel pass through.
2.) Direct audio inputs for DVD-A or SACD.
Thanks for all your help.
Rotel
Dear Legairre,
No problem! Actually, they're the same question. Yes, there is a 6.1 input of which the front left/right would be used as two channel pass through.
Best Regards,
Tim Wyatt
Technical Support Supervisor - [email protected]

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Legairre,

Did you notice that the power consumption for the RMB-1095 is still listed at 800w? Didn't your other thread (actual power consumption for the Rotel) contain information that stated the 800w listed was a typo and the real consumption was much higher? I would have thought that they'd fix that after it was pointed out. I wonder if the 800w rating for the 1075 is accurate.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Jim,

I noticed that too. The guy who gave the tru power consumption rating is the Tech Support Superviser. I guess either he didn't pass it along or the catalog already went to press. It's still very misleading. 800 watts is a long way from 1600 watts. you may want to write him and see what the 1075's figure is.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I think that I'll follow up with him. If you don't mind I'll mention your email exchange with him as the basis for my question. I'll wait to hear from you in case you do mind.

I'm planning on putting in a couple of 20 amp dedicated lines so I shouldn't have any problems even if the 1075 is 1600w. However, I still want to know what the actual consumption is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks