What's new

Apple TV 4K official (2 Viewers)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
For any of you with the previous generation ATV4K who want to grab the new remote, Verizon currently has it on sale for $49.97 with free shipping:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is the new AppleTV and/or tvOS anymore stable as a HomeKit hub? I have to reboot my AppleTV’s every few months when they silently fail in their HomeKit duties.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I still have to reboot my gen 1 AppleTV4K whenever I sync my AirPods with them for private listening. It inserts a 1-2 second audio delay and rebooting the box fixes it.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Back on page 69-70 when I was untangling all of the labeling issues by utilizing the XCode Dev HUD to show that I was actually getting a 4K (and DV when appropriate) stream when the swipe-down menus either incorrectly labeled it as HD (Netflix) or didn't support resolution labeling at all (Disney/HBO), I bemoaned the latter.

Well, it looks like at some point HBO updated their app to support swipe-down menu labeling of resolution and sound signal.
IMG_9012.JPG

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
It’s counter intuitive but your stuff is under library not movies or tv on non Apple device apps

Not sure that's what Crawdaddy's saying.

IIRC, he had an issue w/ a new ATV4K w/ the ATV app not showing anything in his library, and sounds like it might have never been resolved.

AFAIK, other than whatever bugs (and maybe extra little features of ATV4K), the ATV app works the same across all platforms. Certainly works the same in that respect on Roku...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not sure that's what Crawdaddy's saying.

IIRC, he had an issue w/ a new ATV4K w/ the ATV app not showing anything in his library, and sounds like it might have never been resolved.

AFAIK, other than whatever bugs (and maybe extra little features of ATV4K), the ATV app works the same across all platforms. Certainly works the same in that respect on Roku...

_Man_
That's what I'm saying, but it's with one of my first generation ATV4K units. After seeing that my 4K HDR library wasn't up to date on one unit, I tried that old trick in which you log out of your Apple account and then log back in to force an update. My digital library did not reappear on AppleTV+. Whenever, I click on my library it would have the message that "I haven't purchased any movies nor TV shows". Next, I tried what I called the "nuclear" option in which I reset that unit to the factory settings and then reloaded everything again using my iPad and iPhone. I got the same message that "I haven't purchased any movies nor TV shows".

Now, I can still access my purchased movies and TV shows using the two iTunes app for movies and TV Shows. However, I like having my digital library separated by movies, tv shows and 4K HDR on just one app.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
AppleTV 4k and 1080p display: will I get Atmos audio when available? Or do I have to have a 4K HDR display to get Atmos with an aTV 4k?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
AppleTV 4k and 1080p display: will I get Atmos audio when available? Or do I have to have a 4K HDR display to get Atmos with an aTV 4k?

Depends on who the provider of the content is.

Apple separates the audio and video for its iTunes content, allowing you to access the best possible in each for your system. If you have access to a 4K version of a title with Atmos through iTunes, but are viewing on an HD display, you’ll get HD video and Atmos audio.

Some other providers group their audio and video together in the same package. Vudu is an example. If you have access to a 4K version of a title on Vudu, they have the 4K video and Atmos audio encoded together, so that if you can’t get 4K video, it’ll drop down to HD, which they usually only bundle with non-Atmos audio.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm again uncertain about upgrading to a 4K projector. So I want to go ahead and upgrade my streaming boxes and services to get 4K and Atmos -- so replace my HD with 4K AppleTV boxes to get Atmos as possible for streaming shows and movies. And I can upgrade the living room which is a 4K HDR display (but only a 5.1 audio system).

I guess I'll have to see how it is service by service.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I purchased my 4K AppleTV box in advance of having any 4K equipment. My receiver is still limited to HD only, so even though the box is 4K capable, the receiver dumbs it down to HD so we end up seeing HD content on the 4K flat panel. My projector, my main viewing device, is HD only.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think it was TonyD that stated that on his 1080p display in which he has an Atmos setup, he couldn't get Atmos on his AppleTV 4K unit. Perhaps, I'm mis-remembering. @TonyD

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
You should. I am still rocking a Panasonic Plasma, and my 4K ATV sends Atmos to my Anthem 720.

That said, HDMI works in mysterious ways, so no guarantees.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It looks like Apple may be having a server issue on their end. I just lost connection to all content via the ATV app on both my Roku Ultra and Apple TV 4K, plus cannot load a movie via the Movies app on the ATV4K.
Don't get me started about their ATV+ app. That app keeps telling me I don't have any movies or tv shows in my library.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks