What's new

Apple TV 4K official (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
And I might add that the first 5 minutes sound freaking fantastic! Unfortunately, I’ve tried to watch Dune about a half dozen times and keep getting interrupted 5 minutes in and never get back to immediately finishing it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yaaaaasssss!
1403B61C-7C00-4CC0-9EA8-EE2C97C4ED0C.jpeg
(Quick check with Rogue One on D+ in 1080p)

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have the first gen ATV 4K. Often the screen goes briefly blank. This usually happens when I’m on somebody’s menu, either Apple’s or the streamer’s. On a rarer occasion it happens during playing a program. One time, restarting the ATV twice stoped it. This happened with my old LG LED and now occurs with my new LG OLED C1. It only happens with the ATV, not with my Oppo or my Tivo. It would seem to be an ATV issue and not a receiver issue. Of course it’s out of warranty.

Anyone else having this issue.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
1st gen aTV: is that steam powered? Or run off vacuum tubes? I legit thought it wasn’t supported anymore.

Haven’t had screen blanking problems with 4th gen and 5th gen Apple TV’s.

Sounds like video hardware is dying — HDMI syncing errors — in the aTV or in the box it’s connected to.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
1st gen aTV: is that steam powered? Or run off vacuum tubes? I legit thought it wasn’t supported anymore.

Haven’t had screen blanking problems with 4th gen and 5th gen Apple TV’s.

Sounds like video hardware is dying — HDMI syncing errors — in the aTV or in the box it’s connected to.
I think Johnny said it’s a 1st gen 4K TV, Dave, not a regular one. :P

I have seen the same thing on our living room display with two 3rd gen HD units as well as two 1st and two 2nd gen 4K TV units. Using a different hdmi cable and port didn’t make a difference. The display is a 12 year old Toshiba LCD and I figure it’s just an issue with the display or hdmi board. Our other three displays (2 Vizio LEDs and a Panny plasma) don’t have this issue.

Jason Goodmanson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I have the first gen ATV 4K. Often the screen goes briefly blank. This usually happens when I’m on somebody’s menu, either Apple’s or the streamer’s. On a rarer occasion it happens during playing a program. One time, restarting the ATV twice stoped it. This happened with my old LG LED and now occurs with my new LG OLED C1. It only happens with the ATV, not with my Oppo or my Tivo. It would seem to be an ATV issue and not a receiver issue. Of course it’s out of warranty.

Anyone else having this issue.
I actually have that issue. I have a Denon AVR and a new Vizio - ever since the new Vizio my AppleTV will drop signal while watching most apps - primarily Netflix and Hulu since those are longer shows (YouTube doesn't have this issue.) My TV will report no signal but I have audio coming from the receiver. It doesn't do this while watching movies on my bluray player - just AppleTV. Usually I can fix the issue by pressing menu enough times to get out of what we are watching and returning to the app's menu. I've replaced cords and updated all firmware. Not sure if it's the TV, the AppleTV, or the receiver. Not sure how to test it more so it's just an annoyance. I didn't have this issue with the old LG plasma we had (same AVR and AppleTV.)

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I actually have that issue. I have a Denon AVR and a new Vizio - ever since the new Vizio my AppleTV will drop signal while watching most apps - primarily Netflix and Hulu since those are longer shows (YouTube doesn't have this issue.) My TV will report no signal but I have audio coming from the receiver. It doesn't do this while watching movies on my bluray player - just AppleTV. Usually I can fix the issue by pressing menu enough times to get out of what we are watching and returning to the app's menu. I've replaced cords and updated all firmware. Not sure if it's the TV, the AppleTV, or the receiver. Not sure how to test it more so it's just an annoyance. I didn't have this issue with the old LG plasma we had (same AVR and AppleTV.)
What’s happening to you is similar but not the same. Mine are usually just brief black screens at a menu or transition point.

The ATV is a 4K.

Jason Goodmanson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I think my issue is strictly with Dolby Vision via my AppleTV. Video goes directly to AVR. I tried watching Shang-Chi and it was a disaster. So much of the blanks were flashing like crazy. Non-DV shows play just fine. I need to fire up my 4k bluray and see if any DV content does the same.

Vizio did just push a firmware update the other day (ATV asked if I wanted to use DV which was strange since it's always been set to yes; that's when I noticed the DV logo on the OSD for the TV was different) - maybe it works? I definitely don't remember it doing this before when I first got all the new gear.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Apple TV vs. OLED LG TV built in apps. At a friends house, they have brand new equivalent to ours OLED LG but they never connected their Apple TV to it. We watched on Netflix a 4K Dolby Vision movie that looked absolutely horrible (the daytime soup opera bright cheap video look). I am guessing that the LG TV Netflix app totally sucks compared to the Apple TV Netflix app. Has anyone ever done a face to face comparison?

Also, I never did any setup on our OLED LG — I plugged in our (first gen) 4K AppleTV and “it just worked” and looked perfect

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Apple TV vs. OLED LG TV built in apps. At a friends house, they have brand new equivalent to ours OLED LG but they never connected their Apple TV to it. We watched on Netflix a 4K Dolby Vision movie that looked absolutely horrible (the daytime soup opera bright cheap video look). I am guessing that the LG TV Netflix app totally sucks compared to the Apple TV Netflix app. Has anyone ever done a face to face comparison?

Also, I never did any setup on our OLED LG — I plugged in our (first gen) 4K AppleTV and “it just worked” and looked perfect
Your friend probably has poor video settings on the "apps" input for the display. With some adjusted settings, the picture quality would probably improve immensely.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

The apps (Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Disney, Paramount, HBO) are identical across LG, Sony Google, and AppleTV in my use.

I use LG‘s apps for my bedroom TV. Apps work well, and easier than having two remotes for TV and ATV in bedroom.

I’ve literally, as of yesterday, switched from AppleTV to Sony TV (Google) apps for the living room TV, thanks to new receiver supporting eARC. So far, it seems doable. The apps work fine.

Is the picture any different? <shrug> For casual viewing, definitely not. For critical viewing, maybe on the margins. If the TV’s streaming looks truly terrible, their TV isn’t setup right. Audio options, who knows, it’s still kinda Wild West for what service on what devices supports mono vs atmos.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
So my friend dug up their 4K AppleTV from the basement and hooked it up: as expected the picture vastly improved.

FWIW, the aTV sets up the stream to Dolby Vision by default when hooked up to a new device. The one thing I had to hunt for in the LG setting was to turn on CEC so that the aTV remote would power up the LG, and the LG would power down when the aTV powered down.

Best guess, the default for the LG is not Dolby Vision, no idea what what it is, I guarantee the my friends either left the picture on default or if they changed something in the settings, they didn't even know what they did

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just read that Netflix has implemented a Category Hub, but when I open the app on ATV4K, no hub. The app is apparently current because when I go to the App Store it say open and not download. Is this one more instance of Apple and Netflix not getting along?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
AppleTV 4K on sale this morning for $150 this morning, and I got the email in time, so ordered it. This will replace the HD unit connected to my 4K TV in the living room. I’ll finally have 4K streaming on one display in the house!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I just read that Netflix has implemented a Category Hub, but when I open the app on ATV4K, no hub. The app is apparently current because when I go to the App Store it say open and not download. Is this one more instance of Apple and Netflix not getting along?
I haven’t read that anywhere, though I’ve not been up on tech news this week and could have missed it. And I don’t have Netflix currently so can’t check directly.

Would be nice.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have verified that the category hub as been added to the app on my LG TV app. So just one more thing that Netflix doesn’t provide on the ATV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks