What's new

Apple TV 4K official (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Have you tried connecting the ATV4K directly to your LG? Have you tried a different HDMI cable with it? I'm sure all of this has been touched on before. Just spitballing here.
I thought Tino tried that, but if he didn't, it's something he needs to do here.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So bizarre, Tino! It sounds to me as if it's something else in your equipment chain. As others have mentioned, if it was an Apple issue it would be more widespread, as it would if it was a Netflix/Vudu issue. I haven't read back through the entire thread, but have you tried moving the ATV4K to a different input on your receiver (I assume you're HDMI switching your various sources through an AVR)? Have you tried connecting the ATV4K directly to your LG? Have you tried a different HDMI cable with it? I'm sure all of this has been touched on before. Just spitballing here.
Tried all of that. No change.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I actually even brought it to my parents house in another town and tried it. Nope. :(

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
What do you mean nope? No that they wouldn’t do it or no that the HUD couldn’t be enabled? If the latter then something may be seriously wrong with your atv. Like broken, wrong.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
What do you mean nope? No that they wouldn’t do it or no that the HUD couldn’t be enabled? If the latter then something may be seriously wrong with your atv. Like broken, wrong.
Nope meaning no change after trying it at my parents home in their 4K tv.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
@Tino, have you tried a complete factory reset and then set it up directly connected to your LG 4K TV (before eventually moving back into the full HT system)? Maybe also have the Netflix app removed (perhaps before the reset) and reinstalled (after the reset).

No idea, but maybe some (erroneous) state info is just stuck in the ATV4K after it was set up (unintentionally, erroneously) to output HD for some apps like Netflix and Vudu.

_Man_

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
@Tino, have you tried a complete factory reset and then set it up directly connected to your LG 4K TV (before eventually moving back into the full HT system)? Maybe also have the Netflix app removed (perhaps before the reset) and reinstalled (after the reset).

No idea, but maybe some (erroneous) state info is just stuck in the ATV4K after it was set up (unintentionally, erroneously) to output HD for some apps like Netflix and Vudu.

_Man_
Yes. Have tried all that.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And thanks everyone for the suggestions. I really appreciate everyone trying to help. :)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Who is your internet provider?

Thing is his other methods of access seem fine... and this is happening in his parents' home too (although I suppose they might use the same ISP).

Doesn't seem likely isolated to his ISP (throttling only Netflix/Vudu access) or it'd likely impact a whole lot of NYers (and his other methods of access too)...

Would be kinda crazy if it's isolated to a combo of ATV4K+ISP (perhaps, only in NYC???)... but if he uses Spectrum in Brooklyn, I guess I can compare notes soon enough as that's me (but I won't have my 4K setup ready to test for another week or so)...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thing is his other methods of access seem fine... and this is happening in his parents' home too (although I suppose they might use the same ISP).

Doesn't seem likely isolated to his ISP (throttling only Netflix/Vudu access) or it'd likely impact a whole lot of NYers (and his other methods of access too)...

_Man_
Hell, we're just throwing out crap as Tino needs to get somebody with an Apple laptop to really figure out what's going on here.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
What would a Mac do for tino at someone else’s house?
Quite a few pages back I had posted instructions on how to enable the developer HUD in the ATV (requires a Mac with XCode connected to it). This then tells you the stream you're 1) receiving from your source, and 2) outputting to your TV.

The original problem that many suffered from was that their 4K programming wasn't labeled as 4K in the "swipe down menu". But looking at the HUD they were both receiving and displaying 4K, but the metadata that tells the menu to display 4K was broken. So they were getting 4K but it wasn't labeled as such. But you needed to look at the HUD information to confirm. Without that you're just trusting what the menu label says.

Apple fixed that in the recent beta builds, but Tino is still saying his only shows HD and not 4K. So he's literally one of the very few (I can't say only one, as there are millions of owners) who are still suffering from it. Even in the Apple Dev board and Macrumors forums, which were afire when this issue first hit, are now quiet.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
This probably won't help Tino in the slightest, but the devs just got a new beta build of tvOS15 so usually the public beta isn't far behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks