What's new

Apple TV 4K official (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, unfortunately, it's not just new customer, but new household/family, if shared.

I might try doing it w/ a different account that's not linked to the family (just for my new ATV4K) and see if that works -- no big deal, if not, since we'll probably be doing the Apple One family deal anyway... unless we find we don't like Apple Music...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
When I returned my ATV4K second generation units to Apple, I noticed that they didn't cancel my free 12 month ATV+ subscription. It's still active right now, though, I've only watched one movie when I first activated it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
By the way, it looks like CheapCharts app is having some issues with tvOS.
New Beta software update 15.0

Same results:(
The issue with the CheapCharts app not working is tied to this new Beta software update 15.0.

I don't have that issue with my other ATV4K units that don't have Beta turned on.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... I didn't even think to install CheapCharts on my ATV4K... Of course, not so useful unless I actually create a CheapCharts account so I can access the same user info (currently only on my phone) between multiple devices... :P

_Man_

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
At this point I don't know what to say, Tino. I don't have my ear as close to the ground for problems anymore due to the fact that other than the gapless audio playback for Atmos/High Res Lossless from Apple Music, mine seem to be working perfectly for the services I use.

I did pop in to the MacForums and Dev boards and I don't see people reporting the lack of 4K labeling for Netflix (which I'm certain a majority of them have a subscription to). So at this point it's either your one defective ATV (which would be odd given the relative straightforward nature of this device's design as opposed to an iPhone, iPad or Apple Computer) or your service has somehow been downgraded. Unfortunately the only way to know is to run the HUD and see what signal your ATV is actually receiving and outputting, and that would definitively show if you're not receiving HD from Netflix/Vudu or if your one of the few remaining people who are still having an incorrect display flag issue (which would be really, really weird given how there's only two iterations of the current device, the 32GB and 64GB and by all accounts just about everything else is the same, so the code should be affecting all of us pretty much equally).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Tino had this problem with multiple ATV units including a first generation one so I don't think the odds that all of them are defective is great. I'm with your thinking that I think it has to do with his service being downgraded somehow.

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Remember guys I’m getting Netflix 4K and VUDU 4K from my other providers like my PS5, XBOX SERIES X, the app on my LG OLED so it’s definitely an Apple issue, NOT Netflix.

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
Honestly at this point, the only solution is to find someone in your life (friend, family member, acquaintance you can bribe) who has a Mac laptop who could download XCode and enable the HUD. If we weren't 3000 miles apart hell I'd do it just to get to the bottom of this mystery lol.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If it's an Apple issue than how come it's not more widespread?
If it’s a Netflix issue, how come it’s not more widespread?

Over the years, it’s become clear to me that there are weird little problems that manifest for small percentages of owners. With the iPhone, small percents can amount to many many in absolute terms. With the AppleTV, that’s could still be a small number of people.

I’ve certainly had and have my weird, inexplicable, rarely noted by others, quirks with Apple Hardware.

For instance: my HomeKit Hub drops offline when I leave the house. Why? Who knows. I don’t see anyone commenting on this. But weird things happen.

Tino seems to be having some weird problem that affects some very small proportion of AppleTV and/or Netflix customers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
If it’s a Netflix issue, how come it’s not more widespread?
Because I knew people with similar Netflix account issues and ended up cancelling their subscription because of it. After a year they started their subscription again and those 4K playback issues disappeared.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Honestly at this point, the only solution is to find someone in your life (friend, family member, acquaintance you can bribe) who has a Mac laptop who could download XCode and enable the HUD. If we weren't 3000 miles apart hell I'd do it just to get to the bottom of this mystery lol.
I have to agree with you there!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Remember guys I’m getting Netflix 4K and VUDU 4K from my other providers like my PS5, XBOX SERIES X, the app on my LG OLED so it’s definitely an Apple issue, NOT Netflix.
Tino just to clarify, you're not getting Vudu in 4K along with not getting Netflix 4K on this second generation ATV4K unit? The same with your first generation 4K unit too?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
So bizarre, Tino! It sounds to me as if it's something else in your equipment chain. As others have mentioned, if it was an Apple issue it would be more widespread, as it would if it was a Netflix/Vudu issue. I haven't read back through the entire thread, but have you tried moving the ATV4K to a different input on your receiver (I assume you're HDMI switching your various sources through an AVR)? Have you tried connecting the ATV4K directly to your LG? Have you tried a different HDMI cable with it? I'm sure all of this has been touched on before. Just spitballing here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
normanbrewerjr
Recent bookmarks