What's new

Apple TV 4K official (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I found another title on my Apple TV 4K that shows I own the 4K version but it plays in standard HD and without any sort of of HDR:

The Dark Knight

I've sent a Feedback report to the Apple TV team. I suspect there are other titles with this problem. I guess I'm going to have to go one by one and try them.

Mark
My 4K version plays just fine. I also tried the other Nolan films that came out on 4K disc and they all played 4K except The Prestige which played in HD because there is no 4K version on iTunes.

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Major changes to the youtube app and I don't like it nearly as much as the old one.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
How can a bandwidth problem be the cause of iTunes not having the UHD version of The Prestige? iTunes doesn't have it for anyone not just Robert.
I'm not saying Robert is having a bandwidth problem or talking about The Prestige at all. If you read the line of discussion and look at the comment I was responding to, the original comment from Mark was that he wasn't getting The Dark Knight in 4K, then Robert said he was getting it in 4K just fine. Then I commented that (when one person is getting 4K and another isn't) indicates the person who ISN'T might be having a bandwidth problem.

Understand? They're consecutive comments, quoting the previous one. It's not that difficult to follow.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
How can a bandwidth problem be the cause of iTunes not having the UHD version of The Prestige? iTunes doesn't have it for anyone not just Robert.
I was never talking about the mother... prestige.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I found another title on my Apple TV 4K that shows I own the 4K version but it plays in standard HD and without any sort of of HDR:

The Dark Knight

I've sent a Feedback report to the Apple TV team. I suspect there are other titles with this problem. I guess I'm going to have to go one by one and try them.

Mark

Mark isn't getting The Dark Knight in 4K.

My 4K version plays just fine. I also tried the other Nolan films that came out on 4K disc and they all played 4K except The Prestige which played in HD because there is no 4K version on iTunes.
Robert is getting The Dark Knight in 4K just fine. He also happened to mention The Prestige is not 4K

Sounds like a bandwidth problem.
If Mark is not getting The Dark Knight in 4K and Robert is, and it says it's available in 4K, the most likely culprit is Mark has a bandwidth problem.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not saying Robert is having a bandwidth problem. If you read the line of discussion and look at the comment I was responding to, the original comment from Mark was that he wasn't getting The Dark Knight in 4K, then Robert said he was getting it in 4K just fine. Then I commented that (when one person is getting 4K and another isn't) indicates the person who ISN'T might be having a bandwidth problem.

Understand? They're consecutive comments, quoting the previous one. It's not that difficult to follow.
Obviously, it was for a couple of us until you clarified what you were responding to.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mark isn't getting The Dark Knight in 4K.

Robert is getting The Dark Knight in 4K just fine. He also happened to mention The Prestige is not 4K

If Mark is not getting The Dark Knight in 4K and Robert is, the most likely culprit is Mark has a bandwidth problem.
Got it! It's not that difficult now.:)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
For those that are planning to buy 'Only the Brave' on standard Blu-ray, be aware that its HD digital copy code (which I redeemed at Movies Anywhere) shows up as 4K Dolby Vision on Apple TV 4K! Sweet!

If you aren't planning to buy 'Only the Brave', stop now and reconsider your decision! :) Terrific film!

Edit: Well, crap! Although Apple TV 4K shows 'Only the Brave' as 4K Dolby Vision, it is NOT playing in HDR (Dolby Vision or otherwise) and I believe it is playing in HD, not 4K. It would appear that Apple is linking the standard HD version on its servers.

Mark

Hasn’t the iTunes 4k/not 4k issue been covered ad nauseum in these forums? If you BUY the title on iTunes you get 4K. If you redeem a code THROUGH ITUNES you get 4K. If you redeem a non-4k code anywhere else iTunes will NOT give you a free upgrade.

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Hasn’t the iTunes 4k/not 4k issue been covered ad nauseum in these forums? If you BUY the title on iTunes you get 4K. If you redeem a code THROUGH ITUNES you get 4K. If you redeem a non-4k code anywhere else iTunes will NOT give you a free upgrade.

Sorry to add nauseam to your day, Mark. :)

Since my post, I've researched the issue and you are, of course, correct. Apple clarified it to High Def Digest back in October (see update at the end of this article):

https://hdgear.highdefdigest.com/52427/moviesanywhere.html

This is something that Apple still needs to address. The Apple TV 4K should show users the version of the film they own, NOT the highest resolution available even if they don't own it. At the very least Apple could add a "Upgrade to 4K HDR" button on titles that are showing 4K at the top but you really only own in HD.

I have a few older digital films that I own only in standard definition. Even though an HD version is available the Apple TV 4K does NOT show HD at the top of those film's main page. It shows me what I own.

Apple is being inconsistent and causing unnecessary confusion.

Mark

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
One problem I have with my AppleTV 4K is that it does not recognize 4K or HDR on my Samsung 4K UHD set. Don't know if the fact that I have the Apple TV going through my Yamaha Aventage RX-A2060 receiver first. It's supposed to pass through the 4k HDR signal. My OPPO 203 goes directly to the Samsung TV and no problems with HDR.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Have you tried connecting the ATV directly to your display to see if the problem goes away? I'd be willing to bet it's either your receiver or your HDMI cables.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One problem I have with my AppleTV 4K is that it does not recognize 4K or HDR on my Samsung 4K UHD set. Don't know if the fact that I have the Apple TV going through my Yamaha Aventage RX-A2060 receiver first. It's supposed to pass through the 4k HDR signal. My OPPO 203 goes directly to the Samsung TV and no problems with HDR.
Raul,
I have no problems with the unit recognizing 4K or HDR on my LG OLED as it goes through my Yamaha 3060.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks