What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Apple TV 4K official (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I did a little comparison between Roamio and aTV for Netflix (with Bojack Horseman). I think I’ll switch to the aTV for Netflix. It’s much faster to get to full resolution and the interface is snappier, unsurprisingly. And the image might be crisper overall. Even for us mouth breathers still stuck with HD :)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Now that the ATV has progressed, I dont see using anything else for Amazon and Netflix. PQ is outstanding when scaling Amazon 1080p to the 75" 2160p, and its HDR 2160p Amazon and Netflix look GREAT.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m ready to switch once the Amazon software is finished. I’m not sure I’ll convince my wife to switch though. That “input 1” simplicity is a strong draw.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
So the HomePod has been officially released: preorders on Friday. Very curious about AppleTV support, a future sound bar version, etc. I am not a candidate- my 5.0 Swan Diva speakers are not getting replaced unless they die. But for friends and family this makes huge sense, and I'd love to see full on competition with Sonos

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
11.3 public beta is out now if you are on the public betas. One thing for sure is it enables playback of Dolby Vision to Sony displays that got the recent Dolby Vision update.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Updated and tested. DV passes with Netflix thru my Yamaha A3060 to the 940E, looks good too. Just had to adjust MotionFlow to my liking and set color temp to Expert 1. Also turned on Smooth Gradation. Yamaha on screen overlay even works fine in DV mode.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
At risk of double-posting, here’s the AppleTV section for the 6 Colors report card, which I linked in the MBP thread.

Apple TV

Grade: C+ (average score: 3.2, median score 3, last year: C-)

Our panel’s still pretty cranky about the Apple TV, but its scores rebounded this year when a new 4K model was announced and shipped.

“But at $180, [the 4K Apple TV is] ridiculously overpriced,” wrote Josh Centers. “To add insult to injury, the old model is still $150. tvOS hasn’t seen any appreciable advancement this year, and it definitely feels like Apple’s forgotten love child.”

“Adding 4K/HDR is the minimum necessary to keep up with the market, and that continues to be what Apple TV feels like much of the time,” wrote MacJournals’ Matt Deatherage.

“The Apple TV 4K seems like too little, too late, and too expensive,” wrote developer and writer Michael Tsai. “I don’t understand Apple’s strategy here. It’s disappointing that they haven’t fixed the design of the remote yet.”

“I’m not sure why I would recommend an Apple TV to anyone over a Roku or Amazon device or even Google’s equivalent,” wrote Jessica Dennis.

“The TV app evolving and starting to incorporate more streaming services has made it increasingly my go-to location,” wrote Glenn Fleishman. “I hope a future tvOS makes the TV app the primary navigation means, and apps are relegated down a notch.”
https://sixcolors.com/post/2018/01/apple-in-2017-the-six-colors-report-card/

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
To be fair, if it does bitstreaming -everything- will be covered.
Yes. That's the problem right now isn't it, the aTV doesn't bitstream Atmos? I assume that's what we're talking about. Not getting it to decode Atmos, which most people don't need (or want).

I want it to send all signals unadulterated to my AVR which will then show happy labels of Atmos and DTS:X on its display :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm wanting to get a second 4K ATV and wondered if anyone has used two of them in the same house. I'm sure Apple thought of this, but can the Siri remotes have problems only controlling the ATV in the same room?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
FWIW, B&H has the 32GB model for $170, and the refurb is $150. Since Apple charges sales tax, and for most people B&H doesn't, buying a new one from B&H only ends up being a few dollars more than a refurb.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
For those that are planning to buy 'Only the Brave' on standard Blu-ray, be aware that its HD digital copy code (which I redeemed at Movies Anywhere) shows up as 4K Dolby Vision on Apple TV 4K! Sweet!

If you aren't planning to buy 'Only the Brave', stop now and reconsider your decision! :) Terrific film!

Edit: Well, crap! Although Apple TV 4K shows 'Only the Brave' as 4K Dolby Vision, it is NOT playing in HDR (Dolby Vision or otherwise) and I believe it is playing in HD, not 4K. It would appear that Apple is linking the standard HD version on its servers.

Mark

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, I'm very happy with the 4K, even though I don't have any 4K stuff yet, so I ordered a second one. I'm not replacing my 3rd Gen 3 yet, because I pretty much only use that one to listen to podcasts, and I don't like how the current OS handles them. I hate it when something is "Improved" only to be less user friendly.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I found another title on my Apple TV 4K that shows I own the 4K version but it plays in standard HD and without any sort of of HDR:

The Dark Knight

I've sent a Feedback report to the Apple TV team. I suspect there are other titles with this problem. I guess I'm going to have to go one by one and try them.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks