What's new

Apple TV 4K official (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Keep in mind that if your TV doesn't do HDR at 60hz the AppleTV will say it can't do it. If you set it up to match content source then it will display HDR correctly at 24hz.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Scale of 1-10 @Ted Todorov what would you consider the visual quality? Would you believe it wasn't a UHD disk (sound excepted)?
I'd give it a 10 in that it looked better than it had on the huge screen at the AMC 25 where I saw it originally. But I don't have a UHD player, and no particular desire to get one because I want to avoid buying any more spinning discs, and at any rate Criterion has no 4K - who know when they will, and hopefully at that point they will upgrade to 4K on iTunes as well.

But all this is relative - to what extent can I tell the difference on a 55" screen, I have no idea. The LG OLED is radically better than any home screen I've ever seen. There are clearly better than it experiences at movie theaters (the 70mm screening of Phantom Thread I saw recently was one example) - but fairly rare. I still prefer Walter Reade screening than home because I am not distracted - our schnauzers aren't there to want to play all the time - Lucy, the 9 month old puppy loves to bite my hands:
Lucy bites.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I still prefer Walter Reade screening than home because I am not distracted - our schnauzers aren't there to want to play all the time - Lucy, the 9 month old puppy loves to bite my hands

Man, can I relate to THAT!

I've got a 9-month old Golden Retriever pup at home...and the hand-biting thing is in full swing right now! :D (Not to mention the incessant jumping when I get home from anywhere!)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
8F301880-EE06-46B0-A0D3-8BD6388CB63F.jpeg
Love mini Schnauzers!! Lucy looks just like my dear departed Stewart.

We have Alistair now and he’s a pip!

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Is anyone else stuck in the app store? It says "welcome to the app store" then there is a button to continue, I press it and nothing happens.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
One thing that's NOT working is streaming ripped MKV files from my Plex server via the Plex ATV4K app. It sees my library just fine, but selecting anything in a MKV container results in a black screen with a spinner. I can stream music via Plex from the app, but my video library is inaccessible. Streaming from the same server on my MacBook Pro works, as does accessing the same MKV files from the same Plex library via the Infuse 5 app on the ATV4K. So the issue appears to be limited to the Plex app itself. There seems to be a lot of complaining about this online, and it was functioning a month ago, so it's a verified problem.

Last edited:

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
One thing that's NOT working is streaming ripped MKV files from my Plex server via the Plex ATV4K app. It sees my library just fine, but selecting anything in a MKV container results in a black screen with a spinner. I can stream music via Plex from the app, but my video library is inaccessible. Streaming from the same server on my MacBook Pro works, as does accessing the same MKV files from the same Plex library via the Infuse 5 app on the ATV4K. So the issue appears to be limited to the Plex app itself. There seems to be a lot of complaining about this online, and it was functioning a month ago, so it's a verified problem.

I’m a very happy Infuse user - so why not use it instead of Plex?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I’m a very happy Infuse user - so why not use it instead of Plex?

Just found out about Infuse this morning and installed it to test. I love the fact that it can connect directly to my Plex server now, and I'll probably be switching. The consensus online is that Plex doesn't seem to be very interested in fixing their ATV4K app.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I got it originally to be able to play on my iPad native MPEG 2/Dolby Digital recordings from EyeTV and TiVO (I have several TB of bands/singers from over a decade worth of talk shows and SNL on my MacPro). When I got the new AppleTV, I saw that Infuse Pro worked fine on my AppleTV as well. Basically I never wanted to waste the time & effort converting my material to MP4. And yes, Infuse also plays ripped DVDs & Blu-rays in their untouched native format, basically allowing you to play your entire DVD/BD collection on the AppleTV.

Infuse has frequent, dedicated upgrades and excellent customer support.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
So the NBC Sport app on the AppleTV has been a huge improvement over watching the Olympics on NBC over the air or cable: you get to see the alpine skiing races (which is what I’m interested in) live or reply, from beginning to end, no or very few commercials. No cutting off from an event to give you some bio, interview, etc.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Apple is nailing down the low latency Sony Dolby Vision, it is really looking great. Another interesting note, people with the same model Yamaha as me, running DV to an LG OLED, cannot use certain on-screen menu overlays, where my Yamaha acts normally with overlays and the low latency version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks