What's new

Apple TV 4K official (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I just ordered an Apple TV 4K today, using some Amazon credits to get it for free. My Roku Ultra has been an exercise in frustration since I got it, so I am going to try out the Apple device.

This will be going in my main system, connecting to a Denon X3300 receiver which will pass the 4K video on to my Vizio M70-D3 display, which supports Dolby Vision. Apps I use on Roku are Amazon Video, Hulu, Vudu, Google Play and NHL.tv, plus I will add iTunes.

Are there any particular configuration settings I need to be aware of? I don't want the device to apply HDR to all material - - only with actual HDR programming. I think that's possible now.

The device should be here on Tuesday. I have already programmed my Harmony 650 remote to add the device and have created a "Watch Apple TV" activity so I will be set after connecting the box. I have a spare Monoprice certified premium high speed 18Gbps HDMI cable, so I am set there.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
AFIAK that's how it is by default so there is nothing you need to do.
Thanks, Ted. I did check that option when I set up the player yesterday, but cannot remember what the default setting was. It was easy to find the option, though, so all is well there.

I did have a minor issue with the setup, but it was user error. One of the options was for which device handled audio -- the Apple TV or my Denon X3300 receiver (which the Apple TV detected automatically). Silly me thought it made sense to select the Denon option -- boy, was that a mistake! Playback of any video material resulted in a strange Denon screen being displayed instead of the actual material, although I could hear the audio. None of the Apple TV remote buttons would work, either, so I had to pull the power cord to get it to stop. Once I selected Apple TV as the audio option, all was well.

The only annoyance with the device is more of a limitation of my Denon receiver. With the Apple TV set to 4K UHD 60Hz Dolby Vision, my Denon's on screen display will not pass through to my Vizio display, so I cannot see the volume level when I change it. This is the first external device with Dolby Vision support I have connected to the Denon, and I do recall this being a limitation of the receiver (it works properly with HDR10). Once I start playing content, though (assuming it's not DV content), the volume level does display properly. I cannot see the Denon's built-in display from my seating position, so I rely on the on screen display for volume level and checking which audio processing is being used.

I was able to get Hulu, Vudu, Amazon Prime, iTunes and NHL.tv all setup without any issues. Before I think about moving the Roku Ultra to another room, though, I need to see if the Apple TV supports Amazon Prime's UHD content and if Google Play is available (I occasionally rent a movie there when they have a sale).

We did watch the UHD version of The Post last night, which I recently bought on sale on iTunes. It looked and sounded excellent for a stream, IMO. I also watched a couple of episodes of The Mary Tyler Moore Show on Hulu, and thought it looked better than it has via the Roku Ultra -- plus I didn't have to deal with the zoomed picture bug that I've been dealing with on the Hulu app with my two 4K Rokus.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well, the UHD content on Amazon Video is available, but there's no Google Play (I'm not surprised). That's not really a big deal, though, as I have only rented one or two films through Google and could always cast Google Play from my Android phone to my Vizio display if I need to.

I may eventually move the Roku Ultra to our bedroom to replace the Roku Premiere, which is 4K but does not support HDR. The Premiere would get moved to the exercise room, and I could then move the Roku Express from that room to a small TV I brought back from our South Carolina condo and plan on mounting near the bar in our basement recreation room. We have Comcast's Xfinity service, and there is an Xfinity app for Roku which we use in place of renting extra cable convertor boxes from Comcast. There is no such Xfinity app for Apple TV, even though there is an app which works on the iPad and iPhone.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Just heard that Canal Plus (the French equivalent to HBO) has started giving users an AppleTV with their app, to replace the satellite dishes they were using. I wonder if they are available here in the US?

Edited: a brief search on google says no: only Canada. Ironically HBO, Netflix, etc do play in France. The good news is that a few of the Canal + TV series are on Netflix here.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I can't believe how long the battery lasts on the remote. I've had mine about 6 1/2 months and finally charged it, for the first time since I got it. I even did it a little early.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I can't believe how long the battery lasts on the remote. I've had mine about 6 1/2 months and finally charged it, for the first time since I got it. I even did it a little early.
I haven't used the remote for mine since getting the device a month or so ago -- It's stored with all my other OEM remotes. I use my Harmony 650 universal remote instead. It works fine with the ATV4K. Is there any issue with that? I removed the batteries from all my other OEM remotes as they all use standard alkaline batteries, but that didn't appear possible with the ATV4K remote.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The ATV4K remote has in internal rechargeable Lithium battery. Mine lasts forever as well. I've only charged it once in 6 months.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I haven't used the remote for mine since getting the device a month or so ago -- It's stored with all my other OEM remotes. I use my Harmony 650 universal remote instead. It works fine with the ATV4K. Is there any issue with that? I removed the batteries from all my other OEM remotes as they all use standard alkaline batteries, but that didn't appear possible with the ATV4K remote.
You just don’t get the functions of the touchpad.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Is the Apple TV 4K compatible with 1080p displays?

I have an older AppleTV from circa 2012ish that is due for a replacement soon. My ecosystem at home is entirely 1080p, and I have no plans to upgrade to UHD in the foreseeable future, but it could start happening in a couple years. Does the AppleTV 4K work on 1080p devices, so that I can buy the 4K now for futureproofing, or will I be better off with the non-4K AppleTV that's also available now?

Other than 4K capability, is there any major difference between AppleTV 4K and AppleTV 4th Gen (HD)?

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I have an older AppleTV from circa 2012ish that is due for a replacement soon. My ecosystem at home is entirely 1080p, and I have no plans to upgrade to UHD in the foreseeable future, but it could start happening in a couple years. Does the AppleTV 4K work on 1080p devices, so that I can buy the 4K now for futureproofing, or will I be better off with the non-4K AppleTV that's also available now?

Other than 4K capability, is there any major difference between AppleTV 4K and AppleTV 4th Gen (HD)?

Yes, the ATV4K is compatible with 1080P displays Josh. Here's a handy ATV comparison chart as well:

https://www.lifewire.com/comparing-models-of-apple-tv-1999427

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

I'm fuzzy on details, as I have the 4th gen HD model. But Amazon Prime appears to supports 5.1 on the 4K model but only stereo on the HD model.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yes, the ATV4K is compatible with 1080P displays Josh. Here's a handy ATV comparison chart as well:

https://www.lifewire.com/comparing-models-of-apple-tv-1999427

Thanks Doug! What I can't tell from this article is, can you view content in native HD on the ATV4K? Or is it going to play the 4K HDR version and downconvert that to 1080p SDR as it goes? I've been reading in multiple places that sometimes the conversion of 4K UHD material to 1080p can get a little wonky, and I'd probably prefer to just watch a 1080p version that was genuinely 1080p, rather than dealing with the potential of inaccurate video conversion from 4K to 1080.

I'm fuzzy on details, as I have the 4th gen HD model. But Amazon Prime appears to supports 5.1 on the 4K model but only stereo on the HD model.

That's potentially a reason to consider the 4K over the HD. I very rarely use Amazon Prime streaming but since I'm paying for Amazon Prime anyway, I probably should check it out more often.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks Doug! What I can't tell from this article is, can you view content in native HD on the ATV4K? Or is it going to play the 4K HDR version and downconvert that to 1080p SDR as it goes? I've been reading in multiple places that sometimes the conversion of 4K UHD material to 1080p can get a little wonky, and I'd probably prefer to just watch a 1080p version that was genuinely 1080p, rather than dealing with the potential of inaccurate video conversion from 4K to 1080.

If you're talking about playing 4K UHD titles, something in the chain has to downconvert it to 1080P in order for a 1080P display to handle it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If you're talking about playing 4K UHD titles, something in the chain has to downconvert it to 1080P in order for a 1080P display to handle it.

I would like to use it to play non-4K UHD titles. So my question is, I guess, will it access an HD 1080p version of the movie that iTunes carries, or will it default to playing the UHD version and downconverting it? I'd much prefer that it go to the existing 1080 file rather than downconverting a 4K title and then potentially introducing artifacts or other downconversion errors.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Yes, I have ATV4K units in all three of my HT setups with only my main HT having a 4K display.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yes, I have ATV4 in all three of my HT setups with only my main HT having a 4K display.

And you haven't noticed any weird playback issues or had any issues with how content is displayed on your non-4K displays?

I've heard that sometimes players in general (not ATV specifically) have issues converting 4K HDR content to HD SDR format, where they end up looking worse than the regular HD copy, and I just don't want my purchases and digital redemptions to look poor on a regular HDTV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks