JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That’s good to hear. I have bought 3 versions of Apple TV. I want to buy this one but like others I’m waiting for atmos and dts-x.
I need to clarify. So far, I've mostly used it to play stuff on my server using iTunes, and that works just fine with an IR remote. I didn't really try out apps until now and I'm realizing that they don't seem to function as well, or fully, with an IR remote.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I need to clarify. So far, I've mostly used it to play stuff on my server using iTunes, and that works just fine with an IR remote. I didn't really try out apps until now and I'm realizing that they don't seem to function as well, or fully, with an IR remote.
Simple apps that need only cursor control play fine. But fast advance and jump-back can be problematic. So I admit to violating my “one remote”rule and using the iPhone with AppleTV app at times when using the device.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Amazon Prime app has definitely fixed their 5.1 bug - it is working fine, and the video is looking fine as well. Watched the last Mission: Impossible movie last night - my first perfect experience with Amazon Prime ever (and the movie is darn good as well - thanks to the Film Comment podcast for the recommendation): https://www.filmcomment.com/blog/film-comment-podcast-sleepover-comfort-movies/
Indeed there are a bunch of great suggestions from this podcast episode

Yes, Amazon Prime's app still has a bad UI, but you can simply use the TV app to play all their content

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I checked this on my Gen 3 ATV, and no go. Definitely still getting DPL. I tried the new Ben-Hur and specifically also tried Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation. Both DPL on the Gen 3. I checked for an update, restarted the ATV, same deal. I also confirmed I'm getting DD 5.1 on feeds from my server using iTunes.

I'll check my 4K ATV later today.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Amazon Prime app has definitely fixed their 5.1 bug - it is working fine, and the video is looking fine as well.
I can confirm this. There is no 5.1 on the Gen 3 ATV, but with the 4K (and presumably the Gen 4) there is definitely DD 5.1. One note, tonight's live stream of Monday Night Football is NOT 5.1.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK (duh) I looked at the software update page, and on 12/20 there was an update to the Amazon Prime app on the 4K ATV that says it has 5.1 on UHD content, currently only on the 4Kmodel. It says 5.1 is coming for HD and SD content on the 4K and Gen 4 models.

Note that you don't have to play content in UHD, it just has to be available in UHD. I have the 4K ATV, but no other 4K playback hardware. I tried a couple movies (Arrival and The Circle) and they played back with DD 5.1. I guess that would explain why the stream of MNF wasn't 5.1. It's not UHD.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Stuff I watched today on Amazon (1080p tv shows) seemed to all be 5.1 PCM, so I guess it is fixed. Some content is 2.0 anyways, but what should have been 5.1 was 5.1 so far.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So they haven’t fixed the bugs altogether - just some of them?

“Bugs”?

More probably “missing features obviously left out”

Features that are now incrementally being added. Thankfully, it’s happening seemingly on a faster than slower schedule.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Does the NBC app output 4K? Or, more specifically, will we be able to stream any of the Olympics in 4K?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Does the NBC app output 4K? Or, more specifically, will we be able to stream any of the Olympics in 4K?
Considering HBO & Showtime don’t have 4K, the chances that one of the over-the-air (1080i, not even p) networks will support 4K is next to non-existent. When & if HBO starts offering 4K, we can start hoping for others.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And TiVo is still my preferred streaming box. I tried out Amazon Prime on my 4th Gen aTV for a movie this week. Stereo only.

My antediluvian, underpowered Roamio does Prime video in 5.1.

I don't know why Amazon hates Apple or vice versa. But this continues to be a ridiculous state of affairs.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, I checked yesterday on my 4K model, and no update to the Prime app since 12/20/17. So, I guess still no 5.1 with anything other than the 4K. I watched a silly little romcom last night, and I admit, through the entire thing, I kept thinking "Watching this with 5.1 makes all the difference in the world."
:rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks