What's new

Anyone going to Canada to buy Paradigms? (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Steve, you should have posted about 5 days ago. I went on Friday to make a huge upgrade to my system.

I got a pair of Studio Reference 40's, a pair of 20's and a Studio CC all in Lt. Cherry as well as an Anthem MCA 5 amp all for $2600 US.

I would have been glad to get the Servo for you but I won't be going up there for a while now. The 11 hour round trip was brutal, but worth it. (Saved about $1400 off retail by my account).

Nick L

Second Unit
Evan can you email me or post what the prices were on your studio cc and 20's. I am thinking of making the trip myself.
Nick L
you can email me here

lpodoll

Grip
Real Name
Lee
I am looking for Pacific Northwest Paradigm folks who know of some recommended dealers in Vancouver, B.C. I too am considering running the border. How does duty and all that work though? If you have experience with some dealers in B.C. please let me know. Thanks, Lee

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Lee, here is how duty works.

Go to Canada and get your speakers. There are two taxes that are applied...GST (Goods and Services Tax) and PST (provincial tax). Some provinces reimburse you, some don't. For instance, I know Ontario reimburses while Quebec doesn't. All provinces reimburse the GST. What you do is make sure you buy all Canadian Manufacturers when you are up there (Paradigm, Tannoy, Breyston, Anthem, etc). Get three copies of your receipt from the dealer. When you get to the border, stop at the duty free shop and hand them one copy of the reciept and they will instantly reimburse you for the GST. Get the rebate form you will have to mail in for reimbursement of the PST. When you get to the US border patrol tell them you bought Canadian made speakers in Canada. As long as you bought canadian made stuff up there, you can bring in as much as you want without duty...That's what NAFTA is all about. If you buy a US or Foreign manufacturer in Canada, the US will charge you a 4% duty upon return. As long as you buy just Canadian stuff, you are all set. When you return home, mail in copy #2 of your receipt to the Canadian Govt. and in 4-6 weeks you will get back the PST, depending on British Columbia's policy on that. Keep receipt #3 for yourself.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
If you want to go to New Brunswick for your Paradigms, I can get you 25% off Canadian pricing. Email me if interested.

Gregg

Nick L

Second Unit
Is it possible to call the stereo shop in canada and buy them over the phone, and have them shipped to you?

Unfortunately, you can't call and have them shipped. :frowning:
Edited to add:
How much discount to retail is given in the U.S.? 20%? 25%?

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Paradigm's are sold through a dealer network. This is a guess and I could be wrong, but I don't think you can order over the phone and have them shipped because that would be taking business away from your local Paradigm dealer. If there is no local dealer in your area, I suppose you could try to figure out a way where they would make an exception, but I'm not sure how you would go about doing that. Most of the cost benefit of buying in Canada is due to the exchange rate and not the ability of Canadian dealers to cut closer to the wholesale price, IMO. Therefore, you have to get in your car and ride on up there.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
As Gregg said, I can also get a substantial discount on Paradigm (and Bryston) items. I presently have something in the works for Steve.
If anyone is interested in any new Paradigm or Bryston items, email me direct at:
[email protected]
Regards,
Herb Kane.

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
The advantage of buying Paradigm speakers in Canada has to do with the list prices not being equivalent to the exchange rate.

Studio 20 U.S. list price is $650 U.S

Studio 20 Cdn list price is $800 Cdn, which equals $512 U.S. (converted with the approximate exchange rate your credit card would use today).

Even better is if you can get 15% off the $800 Cdn list price. So $680 x .64 exchange rate = $435 U.S.

If driving across the Niagara Falls/Lewiston/Buffalo bridges.... you'll do much better if you keep driving past St. Catharines and head to Hamilton or Burlington for better prices on Paradigm. I recommend Fairview HiFi in Burlington. Ask for Larry, he's the owner.

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
You can buy other Canadian speakers and have them shipped to the US.
One speaker mfg that I know works this way is:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/
I know this won't be of help to you, Steve. But others who read may not know.
Good luck finding that Servo-15 in Canadian $$ from TX. :)

Marc H

Second Unit
If you do drive to Canada, please do give the Axioms a listen. A bargain for what they do.

I am shocked at the prices that Paradigms go for in the 'States.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks