For those who have bought their Paradigms in Canada...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ernie Estrella, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Ernie Estrella

Ernie Estrella Stunt Coordinator

Ernie
    I know that this has been bounced around here on this forum but I want a firm idea of how much of a price break am I looking at? I'm looking at

CC-170 and Titans

or

CC-370 and Mini Monitors

I've heard about Luxury tax being big, duty tax, etc. Ultimately I want to know what my final price and any troubles I need to know in buying Paradigms in Canada vs. US. Also I know the exchange rate isn't what it used to be. I think $1.37CDN to $1US.

Just want to know how much is it really worth it to go over to the border (from ann arbor, Michigan) to save and basically if anyone can provide a quick guide in buying speakers in Canada and bringing them back in the US on the same day.

Quick replies are welcomed as I will be making a purchase this Saturday (27th) Thanks for those that can help.

2. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

There is no luxury tax (c'mon now [​IMG] ). The product should be duty-free as it is Made In Canada (per NAFTA it's not subject to duty).

From what I understand you can jump through a couple of hoops to get your GST and PST back. In other words, you *may* be able to get back without paying any (net) taxes.

Pricing? Well, list prices are higher here though I've not really seen many stores stick to list. Generally they'll lower prices to at least USD msrp (ie, if you're looking at $ 500 USD speakers, they'll be asking about $ 500 CAN which puts you up in exchange), and of course you can negotiate more.

Good luck.

3. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

I would say that for just $500 - it might not be worth all that hassle to do the duty free + rebate for remaining taxes. You should definitely go for Monitor and up.

Maybe you should forgo the CC if money is an issue and just use the extra amount to spend on a pair of quality fronts. Maybe even a pair of Studio 20s.

4. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Ernie, contact your local Customs office and just find out what your limit is for importing goods under NAFTA. Here is a few examples of what I've paid in the past.

2pr Mini Monitors/CC350: $986CDN/$720US
    Studio 20v3, 40v3, CC470: $2740CDN/$2000US(My new setup)

Taxes are not included since you get them back at the border and via mail. With the Studio's I also got some Premier S-series stands thrown in($240CDN).

Kevin

5. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Ernie, I mailed you back. If you're in AA tomorrow, we could always get together and talk about things [​IMG] I personally went through the effort to buy my Studio 40s there, and thought it was totally worth it. Saved about $175 at the time.

6. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

Ernie,

Make the drive to Windsor, it's worth the effort. Of course the more you buy the more you save. You will have to pay the GST and PST at the time of purchase. You will get one of them refunded at the duty free shop (I don't remember which one though) before you come back to the states. The other tax will be refunded to you by mail. All you have to do is send in a form with copies of your receipts, wait a couple of weeks, and you'll have your money back. You do not have to pay any duty or luxury tax because Paradigms are made in Canada. I purchased Studio 40's, Studio CC and Studio ADP's last fall from Live Wire. I saved quite a bit over the prices I was getting in Ann Arbor. Live Wire gave me all the paper work I needed to get the GST and PST taxes refunded. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. BTW, today's exchange rate is $1 US = $1.35 Canadian. Still not too shabby.

7. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

I think that the minis and cc370 are just over $400CDN each. I just bought the cc370 for $415, you can probably get the mon 3 for just over 500 cdn.