What's new

Anyone else need to give a Xmas present to the mailman? (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
When the mailperson does NOT have to get out of the vehicle because you have dogs, but decides to risk it because he likes you and wants to deliver your parcel.
When you were too cheap to buy a large enough box to hold the catalog items you're ALWAYS ordering...

A small token of appreciation would not be forgotton.

:)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I got a package today that had to weigh 40 pounds. It was something like 30 dollars to ship it parcel post. Still, I'm not leaving a damn thing for them :laugh:

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales

Okay, I NEVER said their job was easy, nor did I say I didn't respect them. I know postal work can be tough. FWIW, I do say hello and thanks on the occasions where I do run into the mailman. As for myself, I work in a service-related job which pretty much blows. Still, I'm paid a regular wage to do it and don't expect tips and gifts from customers. The only people I feel at least obligated to tip are those earning server wages (typically two bucks and some change). Besides, where do you stop? Do you tip the guy who reads your meter? Sorry, but I'm not rich and I've got enough family and friends to buy for without having to worry about getting something for that gas station attendant that I see once a week. And so on. If that makes me a Scrooge, then so be it.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I've given something to the postal carrier the last several years (after my volume of parcels increased due to online purchases). Sometimes food gifts, or movie tickets.

While I realize several carriers work the route, there's one whom I consider the "primary" carrier whom I've chatted with. I either personally give it to her, or drop it off at the post office with a gift tag with her name.

While it may be her job, I still appreciate her hard work.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
That's a tough call. The post man is someone who comes to your house more regularly than most and delivers your personal items...most of us know our post men so it's probably this reason why we 'tip' them during the holidays and not others.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Since my father did this by choice for many years(after being in private business) and hearing him talking about the crap he goes through ...OOOHHH!

OK

If you have ANY sort of personal relationship with the carrier ... give him/her something they'd like. NOBODY wants chocolates over a few bucks(ten is a nice amount), or a movie ticket.

If you RARELY get mail or are unable to buy DVDs because of a lack of funds give them a card with a SINCERE thank you.

Give the paper boy $5-6

If you don't have a regular postman, paperboy, OR your stuff gets thrown the driveway by a passing aircraft, give them nothing

Brent

OH, just so you know, after 20 years working for the postoffice in Canada my dad make LESS than 37Gs ....not exactly WELL paid!!!!

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Just an update, my mailman friend got $75 this Xmas from people leaving cards in their mailboxes. Another guy got over $160. He said mail carriers look forward to December every year for the tips!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
My dad never looks forward to December. With all the holiday cards and packages that are mailed each year, December is always his busiest month.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks