What's new

Anyone else need to give a Xmas present to the mailman? (1 Viewer)

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Yes, this is software-related.

I am posting this from work. My wife called a while ago to let me know that the mailman (actually our mail is delivered by a young woman) had left five packages of DVDs in addition to the usual letters, Christmas cards etc. Among that other mail was a notice to pick up another package of DVDs from the post office - the package must have been too large or too heavy to carry so I must pick it up myself. A few extra presents for myself. :emoji_thumbsup:

I wasn't really counting on those DVDs to arrive before Christmas - all the important packages (to be given as presents) were received earlier, and there have been more than a few those as well. Less than two weeks ago the poor young woman rang my doorbell and handed me two large packages from Amazon (TV boxsets) and a smaller one containing two DVDs. And another package arrived yesterday, although this was just one DVD so it wasn't heavy or difficult to carry. All of this only applies to R1 DVDs that I need to import - a couple of DVDs were bought locally.

Although it's certainly not out of the ordinary for the postal service during this time of year to carry extra mail, my wife was actually embarrassed by all this. If she hadn't been at home, the young lady would have needed to take some of the packages back to the post office with her because everything wouldn't fit in the mailbox. This happens all the time since we both work during the day. I need to pick up those packages from the post office myself which for me isn't a big deal - the post office is close and I can pick up packages during the daily commute. However, the young lady will have to carry them with her (or push them around in a cart) all day before returning to the post office at the end of her shift. My wife insists I need to give the young lady a Christmas present for all her troubles. :b

So, does anyone else on the Home Theater Forum think a box of chocolates is in order for the person who delivers your DVDs? I would think most people here buy many more discs than people in general, although I realize not everyone uses etailers.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
give the mailman cash.
they prefer it,trust me.

probably would be better in after hours.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I think something would be in order. Maybe a gift card to a restaurant. She's got to get hungry lugging all your boxes around :)

I buy most of my DVDs locally, so maybe I'll get something for the one Wal-Mart employee here who knows why widescreen is better and tries to educate people about it.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Okay, I'll say it first. Why do you feel the need to give the mail carrier anything? Delivering your mail is their job and it's not like they make a pittance doing it (and need I mention all the paid holidays they get?). Not only that, but do you only have the one mail carrier? It seems like ours changes on a regular basis. And as for large packages, it's not like they're carrying them around while they walk their route - they usually just drive up to our house and carry them the twenty feet to our door. Even then, such packages are never very heavy (I'm sure they have weight restrictions).

Sorry if I sound like a Scrooge, but I just don't see the need to get something for every tangential person in our lives. But, if it makes you feel better, what the heck. :)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Steve said it first but I'll chime in as well. I can understand tipping a paper boy or a maybe a UPS driver but why in the hell should anyone tip a mailman? They are government employees and make a decent wage (a hell of a lot more than I make).

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Larry, a UPS driver. They make more than most government employees, and are also just doing their job.. unless you are a UPS driver and would like something extra on Christmas.

Growing up, we had the same mail carrier for like 15 yrs. Everyone knew him, and everyone, on my block at least, gave him something, even if it was only a christmas card. I look at it as a personal choice, nobody says you have to do anything nice for anybody ever. But you know, I tend to get warm feelings about doing nice thing for people who don't expect it. If that isn't good enough reward for you, then by all means, don't do it. Its not like the world needs more cheeryness, or getting along, or good will towards people.. Hell, screw em all right..

I live in a small town now, just put down roots as a matter of fact with our first house, and I'll be damned if I don't let someone know how much I appreciate them and life. You can also look at it selfishly, and give them something thinking, the next time they deliver a package, they may go out of their way to get an oversized package to you, or try to re-deliver when all the other "well payed" " just doing their job" "government workers" would just let your ass drive down to the hub to pick up your package.

Hey, Maybe its cuz I'm old fashioned, either way, Merry Christmas to all!

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I'd happily give my mailman a christmas gift, if only he would stop crushing my mail to fix it into the box. My wife has had items completely ruined because the mailman folded it in half to jam it into the box. Actually creased the package along the "Do Not Bend" stamp.

Grr.

I'd probably give lottery tickets or something like that. It's pretty neutral.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Sorry, I should have known better and put this in After Hours to begin with.

I'm usually not one to hand out presents to everybody. In fact, the thought didn't even cross my mind in this case until my wife mentioned it. But I still think it makes sense to give something small to the mailwoman. I'm not sure if there are several of them - I'm rarely at home when mail is delivered - but I know this person has had to put up with extra work because of my DVD buying habits this year. I once happened to be at home when she delivered mail, and she commented (kindly, she wasn't complaining or anything) on the number of boxes she handed me that time (several TV boxsets again). I'm sure she has my address filed away in her mind in a certain way.

When I was in high school and still lived with my parents, we had a mailman who was friends with most of the neighbourhood. He helped my grandmother with small tasks if he had time, occasionally he plowed the snow from the driveway during the winter! Clearly that was different and a present would be warranted in such a situation, and I agree that ordinary anonymous and impersonal mail service isn't worth tipping - you've paid for it so it can be taken for granted. But if as a DVD collector you rely heavily on importing like I do, it makes sense to be friendly with the mailman, just like you should only insult the cook in a restaurant after you've had your meal. :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

They may prefer it, but according to postal regulations they're not supposed to accept it.

They're only legally allowed to accept non-cash items of less than $20 in value.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I guess if you have a personal relationship with your mail carrier then feel free to gift them. I work during the day (as a secretary, not a UPS driver) so never come in contact with my carrier (and all he brings me is bills).

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
At my old house our mail was delivered door-to-door on foot by the same guy for many years. Not only was he a friendly enough chap but he also had to physically lug big packages up the street and to my door on an almost daily basis. Needless to say he got a very nice Christmas bonus from me every year.

At our new house the mail is delivered via truck and we never even see the postal carrier unless there happens to be an especially oversized package to deliver. In addition, there's a different person driving the truck most days. Since there isn't nearly the same level of personal service I don't feel inclined to give as large a gift but I'll still leave a little something for whoever happens to be driving the mail truck on Wednesday.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
My dad has been a postal worker for many years, and let me be the first to tell the anti-postal worker posters that you are quite mislead with your interpretations with the post office.:rolleyes:Yeah, this makes up for the fact that they have to be out there in the snow no matter what. If you ever saw the worry in my moms eyes because we were having a nor-easter and everything was shut down except for the post office and she had no idea if her husband was even able to make it through the day in the snow (much less wait for him to try and make it home), you'd have a little more respect for people who have to work outside like that.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
it's a nice gesture and i'm *sure* the carrier would appreciate it.

i'm not sure i'd give chocolates (or any kind of food item). you never know these days. give him something material - or a gift-card, etc. not something that could poison and kill him. :D ;)

i don't understand the anti-do-something-nice gesture around here. what or who is it going to hurt if the marko does something nice for someone else?

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Wellll...
When the postage due mail comes and your carrier has an option of paying for it out of his pocket (yes, they will leave you a note as to the amount you owe him/her) OR leaving the item at the Post Office, requiring a trip on your part.
When the poorly or incorrectly addressed mail could be "Returned To Sender" OR delivered to you.
When the person who knows a LOT about your comings and goings sees a strange vehicle or other signs of concern and can get involved OR not.
When you consider how much good will you want from the person who comes to your house 6 days a week.

A small token of appreciation would not be forgotton. ;)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
If the anti-postal workers actually knew any that worked there I'm sure they'd change their tune. It's hard work, my friend does it and we can all tell it certainly takes a toll on him. He's weary at the end of the day and doesn't seem to enjoy the work at all.

And many of them actually go to work on the holidays, not delivering but sorting for the next delivery day. When it piles up it gets 3x as hard.

I say give her a giftcard at Target, a restaurant, or a DVD.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
I'll give them a token when they give me my lost package. And when they decide not to notify me when they decide NOT to deliver my mail because the box is too far back for them but just at the limit the highway department specifies. Would be nice if the two entities agreed. Never have I had them come down the driveway. They just dump my parcels by the side of the box or keep them in the post office and send me a note. My last note I took with me to the post office only to be told they don't know where the parcel went. It was a Christmas gift to me and I don't know who sent it or who took it.

My post office sucks. If the mail carrier wants a tip I expect something beyond indifference.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Well, talk about coincidence, but I just got a big package delivered in my mailbox. The package had a COMPLETELY different address than mine and my postal worker recognized my name and delivered my package to my correct address.

That's surely above and beyond what is considered just "His Job".

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I've always left a bottle of liquor (rum, lately, as it seems to be a preference). Goes over every time ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks