What's new

Any word on Knot's Landing season 2? (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
How badly could season 1 have sold, considering they used the exact same tapes that SoapNet had. Of course they charged the same amount for 13 episodes as for 30 Dallas episodes.

Ben King

Stunt Coordinator
tjguitar85 said:
They also said it about 5 times. I'm guessing people who join the chat late can't see the previous questions....
Which proves that there is a definite demand for more Knots Landing so Warners should take the plunge and release it.

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Romain
Knots Landing has always been and always will be a connoisseur's show, meaning you can't seriously expect it to sell as much as Dallas, which was a huge international hit. One thing KL does have going for it though is its extremely loyal fanbase, which I am proud to be part of. Even if it takes thirty years to release fourteen seasons, I swear I will buy every single season, and I know a lot of people who would do the same. There is still hope : Season 1 sold better than the first season of Dynasty, which is getting a second season release (even though the fact that the rights went from Fox to Paramount makes it a one-of-a-kind case) and it seems to be the show whose fate most people were interested in, along with Everwood. Here's an idea: why not release a sample episode or two as an extra with the next season of Dallas? Surely, that would generate some additional interest, don't you think?

Ben King

Stunt Coordinator
The latest word from Warners UK:

At present we are looking into releasing further series of Knots Landing but I can not confirm any information at present.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Just done a forum search for Knots Landing threads and found that this one had the most replies in it, so I'm posting in this one.

Resumed watching the Region 1 second season set earlier tonight, with the episodes "Remember the Good Times" and "Chance of a Lifetime". I watched the rest of the former episode as the last time I watched it, partway through there was some funny loud noise coming from my R2 player (the Region 1 set of the second season of Knots Landing plays perfectly fine in my R2 player), which happens with one or two DVDs and TV DVD sets sometimes. The noise comes and goes with some DVDs (semi-loud and loud noises) and with other DVDs you don't get the noise at all.

Anyway, I watched the rest of "Remember the Good Times" (very good episode well written). There was hardly any loud noise coming from my DVD player.

The actress who plays Earl Trent's wife reminds me of Carey Lowell from Law & Order.

The second episode I watched, "Chance of a Lifetime" was another good episode, and like the previous episode was grim, despite the show being set in sunny California. A new recurring character debuted in this episode, Laura's real estate boss Scooter.

What shocked me was that both episodes ended with the yellow Lorimar logo. It was followed later on by the yellow Lorimar logo with the registered mark at the end of Lorimar. The second episode I watched tonight ended with the yellow Lorimar logo, followed by the Warner Brothers logo over the red background, used during the 1970's, especially with some Clint Eastwood films like The Outlaw Josey Wales.

So far episodes 1-2 had the incorrect Lorimar logo, with episodes 3-4 having the correct one.

I've read on the SoapNet forum for Knots Landing in the last few months that there are no teasers before the start of any episodes in the second season set. With the first season set there were only 2 or 3 episodes which were prceded by a teaser. I didn't agree with something said on the forum that the teasers ruined watching the episodes. They don't ruin the experience of watching the episodes for the first time or again too much.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i think you may see another season next year and more after Dallas has been completed, which should happen in early 2010. I love the ole knots landing and my dvd collection would not be complete without this series.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
WB pushed back it's release schedule even with Dallas. As S12 is not likely to see the light of day till January now. When they originally planned to release the rest of the show in 2009. So it might be a little early to say Knots S3 won't come out. Hopefully you will still see it early next year.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I doubt we'll see more regular releases of Knots from Warners. It may end up in the WB Archive as they expand their TV offerings there.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by JohnMor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt we'll see more regular releases of Knots from Warners. It may end up in the WB Archive as they expand their TV offerings there.
I would be very upset if this was the case. The best seasons of Knots were from season three onward until the last two.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Elena S /forum/thread/234327/any-word-on-knot-s-landing-season-2/30#post_3605353
I would be very upset if this was the case. The best seasons of Knots were from season three onward until the last two.
I completely agree. And I certainly hope Warners proves me wrong.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I completely agree. And I certainly hope Warners proves me wrong.
Me too. It's clear from step 1 they screwed up by not combining seasons 1 and 2. If we can at least get to Donna Mills' departure I'd consider it a victory.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I think the studio wants to complete Dallas first. Dallas has two or three seaons left. I think we could still see another nots landing season or two next year. However, we all know how the studios move when it comes to releasing dvds.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Well, Dallas has been completed on DVD apart from the three TV movies. These are being released on Region 1 soon. I'm hoping Warner Archive seriously consider releasing Season 3 as a Warner Archive Collection title. Once they get to the early to mid seasons, when the show really took off, I'm sure it would sell better. Even if they released a season in two volumes, it would be better than nothing.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by WaveCrest
Well, Dallas has been completed on DVD apart from the three TV movies. These are being released on Region 1 soon. I'm hoping Warner Archive seriously consider releasing Season 3 as a Warner Archive Collection title. Once they get to the early to mid seasons, when the show really took off, I'm sure it would sell better. Even if they released a season in two volumes, it would be better than nothing.
Hey WaveCrest,

I had been wondering the same thing as well. I have S1-2 and was looking forward to seeing other seasons. I think one of the problem could be that desperate housewives has released several seasons and it is a lot like knots landing. So, i am wondering if this was part of reason sales were low with set. WB archive is probably the only way additional seasons will be released.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Now it's not directly about Season 3 of Knots, but on the Soap Chat forum for Knots Landing there is a thread discussion about the re-release of some albums recorded by Lisa Hartman. Now for those of you who have watched the early seasons of the show, Lisa Hartman joined the series in Season 4, playing Ciji. She sang a few songs in episodes, and some of these are on her album Letterock. The UK release date of this and the other re-released albums was Monday 21st March. But so far, copies haven't been shipped out.

EDIT: Letterock has since been released on CD.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Willis ../../315477/how-realistic-is-finding-your-holy-grail#post_3860855

I'm in for more "Knots". That one's going to see more sets imo.

NOTE: Part-quoted post is post #26 on page 1 of the thread How "realistic" is finding your "Holy Grail"? in the TV on DVD thread.

It would not bother me if Knots continued as a Warner Archive title and if the seasons were split into two volumes (and released at the same time). Just to double check, were there "Previously on Knots Landing..." recaps and 30 second promos before the start of each episode back in the 1981-82 season? The Season 2 DVD set had just the episodes themselves, with most of the episodes (especially on the last two discs) ending with the correct Lorimar logo (following the Roundelay logo) being shown (the yellow logo). The 1981-82 season saw a registered mark put at the end of the logo.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Here's something I was thinking:
Has this show ever performed well in reruns in syndication since they began in 1984?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
None of the 80s primetime soaps did well in syndication at all. Lorimar had so little luck syndicating Dallas and Knots that they didn't even bother to syndicate Falcon Crest (I heard they even affected the ratings of the new episodes). Metromedia had the syndication rights to Dynasty (which is how 20th Century Fox got ahold of it before Paramount acquired it) and it, too, failed. As a rule, serialized shows do not do well in syndication.

As for split-season sets, that would mean 24 more sets at full price. I dislike it when Paramount does it, and I don't want the Warner archive to go down the same road unless it's that or nothing (although it seems they already did with The FBI).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks