What's new

Any word on Knot's Landing season 2? (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
The fact that they didn't do well in syndication means that they haven't been seen in 30 years...which may indicate a stronger demand for those shows than people think. I still feel that Knots didn't do well in its initial outing on dvd is because the first set seemed so cheesy and overpriced. They should have put the first two (short) seasons on one set, like Dallas. But call me Captain Hindsight...there's nothing to do now but move forward, and I think the Archives is the safest bet at this time.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethan Riley /t/234327/any-word-on-knots-landing-season-2/60#post_3862902
The fact that they didn't do well in syndication means that they haven't been seen in 30 years...which may indicate a stronger demand for those shows than people think. I still feel that Knots didn't do well in its initial outing on dvd is because the first set seemed so cheesy and overpriced. They should have put the first two (short) seasons on one set, like Dallas. But call me Captain Hindsight...there's nothing to do now but move forward, and I think the Archives is the safest bet at this time.
I think you're right about this too. I know for me, a lot of shows have a stronger appeal (sales) if they''ve been out of circulation for a long time. I recall that first season release as well, not a good pricepoint at that time.

WBA is most likely the future release outlet for this one, agree.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I am hoping the focus will shift back to Knots Landing since Dallas is now completed. I have S1 and S2 of Knots Landing. I am also wondering with desperate housewives success has something to do with the delays in Knots Landing. Knots Landing may be view by many as dated version of desperate housewives.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by younger1968 /t/234327/any-word-on-knots-landing-season-2/60#post_3862954
Knots Landing may be view by many as dated version of desperate housewives.
Would Desperate Housewives be a modern day version of Knots Landing?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley /t/234327/any-word-on-knots-landing-season-2/60#post_3862902
I'd prefer to see a pressed disc release of the third season of Knots, but a Warner Archive split volume release I wouldn't mind. We could sit here and discuss abouit the reasons why there have been no more seasons released since the second season Region 1 release up to the present day. But looking to the future at a Warner Archive release seems the best bet. Sid Fairgate has been stuck on that cliff for AGES! lol

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
WaveCrest said:
I'd prefer to see a pressed disc release of the third season of Knots, but a Warner Archive split volume release I wouldn't mind. We could sit here and discuss abouit the reasons why there have been no more seasons released since the second season Region 1 release up to the present day. But looking to the future at a Warner Archive release seems the best bet. Sid Fairgate has been stuck on that cliff for AGES! lol
Hey Wavecrest,
It always great seeing your response and passion for different shows!
I have S1 and S2 on Knots Landing and would like to see more released as it was a show i remember as kid. I also do not like when we have to wait so long to rescue Sid from the cliff.
There is also later episodes that pay tribute to the death of one the young stars in a motorcycle accident. I think Michelle Lee pays tribute
Desperate housewives IMO is the modern day Knots Landing. So, Knots Landing must have struck an accord with today's audience via Desperate Housewives.
I also like to Knots when Lisa Hartman joined along with watching the kids grow up. I was 10 years olds when the show came out and like seeing the clothes and the cars from that era. The new younger generation can learn from tv of the past, especially the messages about family, schooling, sacrifices, high cost of housing/fuel/food, etc. This scripted reality is not helping today's generation.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Probably started liking Knots properly around the fifth season. It may not have been well liked by people but thought the tidal wave energy storyline involving Gary in the 13th season was pretty good. The only season I was slightly disappointed in was the 14th and final season.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
WaveCrest said:
Probably started liking Knots properly around the fifth season. It may not have been well liked by people but thought the tidal wave energy storyline involving Gary in the 13th season was pretty good. The only season I was slightly disappointed in was the 14th and final season.
Another wish of mine is to see the show to its conclusion on dvd simply because I stopped watching, I think, about halfway through the series. I'd like to see the rest of it now. I'd watched KL since the pilot; the very last episode I remember actually seeing had something to do with one of the teenage sons having a rifle. I can't even remember whose son it was now--but he had his shirt off and he was running around the cul de sac with a rifle trying to shoot his dad or something or other. Does anyone have a clue what episode I'm (mis)remembering? lol :D

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Ethan, this is like one of those board games or Hot or Cold, where I think of an episode and when I'm cold I ask for clues.

Was it a storyline involving Karen Fairgate (later Karen McKenzie) or Val and Gary? Chip, who was involved in the storyline with Ciji (think he lived with Val and Lilimae in the cul-de-sac)?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
WaveCrest said:
Ethan, this is like one of those board games or Hot or Cold, where I think of an episode and when I'm cold I ask for clues.
Was it a storyline involving Karen Fairgate (later Karen McKenzie) or Val and Gary? Chip, who was involved in the storyline with Ciji (think he lived with Val and Lilimae in the cul-de-sac)?
Oh I can't remember anymore. The reason being--I didn't tape KL off-air back in the day, and I've never once watched it on tv since. I only have the dvds to look forward to. I'm more of an authority with Dynasty, because with that show, I happened to tape every single episode off-air and I still have them all. I've marathoned Dynasty several times since its demise. With Knots, it's only half-remembered plotlines. I never watched Dallas at all on-air (I do have the dvds) and I stopped watching Falcon Crest probably early in season 2. So these dvd sets that dribble out are almost like new to me.
And forget about half-season sets. Dynasty has them, but they're also up to season five already (or 6, if you live in Europe). Knots worked its way to 30 eps a year in its prime. I guess 30 eps will make for some mighty big-ass season sets, but it's already taken forever just to get to season two! I can't imagine waiting until I'm 90 years old for them to drip out another 24 half-season sets to get through that series!!!
I figure I stopped watching in either season 7 or 8...therefore I reiterate that it would be nice to see the whole series out on dvd so I can see how it all ended...

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley /t/234327/any-word-on-knots-landing-season-2/60#post_3865161
And forget about half-season sets. Dynasty has them, but they're also up to season five already (or 6, if you live in Europe). Knots worked its way to 30 eps a year in its prime. I guess 30 eps will make for some mighty big-ass season sets, but it's already taken forever just to get to season two! I can't imagine waiting until I'm 90 years old for them to drip out another 24 half-season sets to get through that series!!!
I figure I stopped watching in either season 7 or 8...therefore I reiterate that it would be nice to see the whole series out on dvd so I can see how it all ended...

Ideally, Warner Archive (if they do end up releasing the third season onwards as an MOD title) should release half season sets together at the same time (half volume sets like with their release of the first season of The F.B.I. in two parts) with less than six months between seasons (depending on how much music needs to be cleared, with the fourth season having some of the most music tracks to clear (Lisa Hartman's role of singer Ciji Dunne).

The music track Only Just Begun by The Carpenters was played in a Season 11 episode of the same name, A cover of Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas by Michele Lee was played during a Season 12 episode.

I lost a bit of interest around the 1986-87 season, but in hindsight I was being a bit harsh. You should enjoy the remainder of the series.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley /t/234327/any-word-on-knots-landing-season-2/60#post_3864106
Another wish of mine is to see the show to its conclusion on dvd simply because I stopped watching, I think, about halfway through the series. I'd like to see the rest of it now. I'd watched KL since the pilot; the very last episode I remember actually seeing had something to do with one of the teenage sons having a rifle. I can't even remember whose son it was now--but he had his shirt off and he was running around the cul de sac with a rifle trying to shoot his dad or something or other. Does anyone have a clue what episode I'm (mis)remembering? lol

Ethan, did you remember which episode of Knots Landing you were asking about in the quoted post?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Off the top of my head, the only scene I can think of was the 1982 cliffhanger with Gary chasing after Val, who was driving off in her car from the cul-de-sac.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
It was way after that. It was somewhere in the late 80s. And I don't even think it was a season cliffhanger. All I remember is the kid was running around the cul-de-sac with a gun and he was freaking out and had his shirt off for some reason, and they were trying to calm him down. I don't know if it was drugs or he was just a typical teen trying to shoot his dad lol. I have no idea which kid it even was. But the only reason I happen to remember that random scene is because that was definitely the last episode I ever watched. Maybe it happened after 1987, if that's when you stopped watching? One of these days, they'll put out more episodes, and we'll finally come across that one, and we'll go 'oh---that's what frickin' Ethan was talking about!!'
I do have the two dvds but I was waiting for (much) more before I start marathoning. So we'll see if they put it in the Archives. It would be about time, right??

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
There is a couple episodes involving guns: 1. Claudia plants a gun 2. Jill forces Valene to take pills at gunpoint.
There are other episodes that kids where involved with, like Karen's son saving a girl from drowning after she took drugs

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley /t/234327/any-word-on-knots-landing-season-2/60#post_3929753
It was way after that. It was somewhere in the late 80s. And I don't even think it was a season cliffhanger. All I remember is the kid was running around the cul-de-sac with a gun and he was freaking out and had his shirt off for some reason, and they were trying to calm him down. I don't know if it was drugs or he was just a typical teen trying to shoot his dad lol. I have no idea which kid it even was. But the only reason I happen to remember that random scene is because that was definitely the last episode I ever watched. Maybe it happened after 1987, if that's when you stopped watching? One of these days, they'll put out more episodes, and we'll finally come across that one, and we'll go 'oh---that's what frickin' Ethan was talking about!!'
I do have the two dvds but I was waiting for (much) more before I start marathoning. So we'll see if they put it in the Archives. It would be about time, right??

Regarding the last sentence of your post..well put it this way, I stopped watching Dallas on DVD, a few episodes into the start of the 1981-82 season. As far as I could until the last episode of Dallas premiered on CBS before Knots Landing's third season premiered. That's how I want to watch both shows on DVD, alongside one another (even when after the dream season, both shows didn't exist in the same universe because Knots carried on as if what happened on Dallas, from the 1985 cliffhanger up to just before the end of the dream season, had happened).

Had read on the Warner Archives' Facebook page that Warners were still considering Knots for a mass market retail release. It's got confusing with Falcon Crest, but I got the impression the whole thing with the masters and cleaning them up was to do with Falcon Crest's third season. I'm hoping this isn't going to keep Knots in limbo, if Warners aren't going to continue the series as a mass market retail release.

The picture/print quality on the Region 1 release of the second season of Knots wasn't great, murky in parts, but it wasn't terrible. If the recaps/previews at the start of an episode wasn't included in a possible future release of the third season, that wouldn't bother me. It's when it gets to the 1989-90 season where it would be tricky not to include versions of the episodes in this season without the recap of the previous episode, as they were incorporated into the sandcastle title sequence from that season (Season 11, the 1989-90 season).

This is like a storyline all of it's own on Knots, trying to fathom out where in Knots Landing your scene description is from!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
WaveCrest said:
Regarding the last sentence of your post..well put it this way, I stopped watching Dallas on DVD, a few episodes into the start of the 1981-82 season. As far as I could until the last episode of Dallas premiered on CBS before Knots Landing's third season premiered. That's how I want to watch both shows on DVD, alongside one another (even when after the dream season, both shows didn't exist in the same universe because Knots carried on as if what happened on Dallas, from the 1985 cliffhanger up to just before the end of the dream season, had happened).
Had read on the Warner Archives' Facebook page that Warners were still considering Knots for a mass market retail release. It's got confusing with Falcon Crest, but I got the impression the whole thing with the masters and cleaning them up was to do with Falcon Crest's third season. I'm hoping this isn't going to keep Knots in limbo, if Warners aren't going to continue the series as a mass market retail release.
The picture/print quality on the Region 1 release of the second season of Knots wasn't great, murky in parts, but it wasn't terrible. If the recaps/previews at the start of an episode wasn't included in a possible future release of the third season, that wouldn't bother me. It's when it gets to the 1989-90 season where it would be tricky not to include versions of the episodes in this season without the recap of the previous episode, as they were incorporated into the sandcastle title sequence from that season (Season 11, the 1989-90 season).
This is like a storyline all of it's own on Knots, trying to fathom out where in Knots Landing your scene description is from!
That's funny about the Falcon Crest season 3 masters, because they used some mighty shoddy prints in the first two seasons. I didn't think they cared. Well, all three of these shows have some lousy prints, but it didn't bother me as much as I thought. (Well, Dallas season 7 was tough to get through for some reason. Maybe because they changed the film techniques in that season and it just looks really weird on dvd).
I hope they manage to get the rest of FC on dvd at least; there were only 9 seasons in that one, so it's doable in our lifetimes. It still kills me that KL didn't make the grade on dvd. I can't figure that out. Dallas shot through all 14 seasons in 5 or 6 years (although I think it had something to do with tying in with the new series). Dynasty is plugging along. Knots was at least as popular as the rest, so I can't imagine why it didn't do well on dvd. I still think that people avoided the first season because they were expecting Warners to combine the first two (short) seasons into one package, like they did with Dallas. I think people felt cheated. I don't think it had anything to do with a lack of popularity on the show's part.
I also think they should just get on with KL for the Archives. I don't think another mass market release is going to do any better than the first 2 volumes. They lost money. The fans who want it can easily find it in the Archives, especially if it's tied in with Amazon more easily, as in the recent news there. This is the sort of show the Archives were made for anyway, and I don't think they've been fully exploiting the possibilities of online-only sales so far.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Ethan, are you getting confused with Dallas' 1986-87 season, where they changed to editing the show on videotape, giving it that soft picture quality look? Although I remember someone posting on here or on Soap Chat a while ago, that Dallas had a really nice look with the way it was filmed in the 1983-84 season. Now on Region 1 and Region 2 that would have been titled by Warner Brothers as the seventh season (they called the five episode pilot the first season).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks