What's new

I Dream of Jeannie s.5?? (1 Viewer)

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I would expect any time now that Sony will announce the release of the Fifth and final season of IDOJ considering it's been, well, just two months since the release of Season 4 but I'm impatient!

Season 5 spelled doom for the series as the NBC executives insisted that Tony and Jeannie tie the knot, and so they did. Which essentially turned the series into another Bewitched.

Season 5 also brought around drastic set changes as the living room received a huge makeover which was showcased in an episode, and quite frankly, I LOVE the makeover!

Here are the episodes that comprise Season 5, their original airdates and a brief description:

#114: Jeannie at the Piano - 9/16/1969
Jeannie makes Tony a virtuoso on a little red piano in the officer's club but it turns out that it's actually anybody who plays that particular piano. General Schaeffer books Tony concerts around the country but Tony only agrees to it so long as his piano goes with him. The night that he's to play at Carnegie Hall he finds that the little red piano has been replaced by a grand piano and Jeannie is nowhere to be found to assist him!

#115: Djinn, Djinn, the Pied Piper - 9/23/1969
Jeannie's magical pooch, Djinn Djinn, returns causing havoc for Major Nelson when they meet up with General Schaeffer and his dog in the park. Djinn Djinn becomes invisible and after the confusion clears up both dogs land in the pound where Djinn Djinn helps all the dogs escape.

#116: Guess Who's Going to Be a Bride? (1) - 9/30/1969
Jeannie's Uncle Sulieman, King of Besenjii, pops in advising Jeannie that he has decided to abdicate the throne and that Jeannie will be his successor. Jeannie is delighted by this as she decides that for her fifth anniversary as genie to her master, the country of Besenjii would be a perfect gift. Sulieman wants to meet Tony to make sure he is a worthy king and pops off to NASA where Tony is to be giving a tour to the Ambassador of Kasha, whose country has a rare mineral that NASA needs. Tony mistakes Sulieman for the Kashan Ambassador which infuriates Sulieman as Kasha is Besenjii's mortal enemies. Sulieman blinks Tony to Besenjii where he is to be executed but Jeannie pleads with her uncle not to do this and he agrees but only on two conditions: 1) Tony avenge Besenjii by killing the Ambassador from Kasha and 2) marry Jeannie. Sulieman tries giving Tony ample opportunity to kill the ambassador but Tony always manages to not do it and when Sulieman tells him of his desire that he marry his niece Tony says he wouldn't marry Jeannie if she were the last genie on Earth. Jeannie overhears this and extremely hurt tells him "Goodbye forever!" and blinks off!

Uncle Sulieman is played by Jackie Coogan aka Uncle Fester from "The Addams Family".

#117: Guess Who's Going to Be a Bride? (2) - 10/7/1969
Tony regrets what he had said about Jeannie and he misses her terribly. More bad news comes when he finds that he and Roger are going to be re-assigned to a post out in the Alaskan wilderness for upsetting the Kashan Ambassador. Meanwhile, Jeannie is set to marry a suitor who must pass a test of guessing what is in a small box. If they guess wrong, they will be be-headed.

Tony and Roger are reassigned back to Florida but hear the news of the imminent marriage of Jeannie I in Besenjii and Tony steers their plane to the country where he asks for a chance at being Jeannie's husband. Jeannie is delighted but scared as she knows what will happen if he guesses wrong, which he does. Before he can be be-headed Jeannie tells her uncle she no longer desires the throne and blinks herself and her master back to NASA where she is introduced to General Schaeffer and Dr. Bellows. And before he can be be-headed Jeannie blinks Roger back to the base. And so everyone's favorite genie and master duo are on their way to the altar!

#118: Jeannie's Beauty Cream - 10/14/1969
Jeannie gives Mrs. Bellows some of her beauty cream which makes Mrs. Bellows appear as she did when she was a teenager, causing her great distress when her husband doesn't recognize her.

#119: Jeannie and the Bachelor Party - 10/21/1969
Roger and Dr. Bellows decide to throw Tony a bachelor party but Tony doesn't want that as he knows that tons of girls will be there and Jeannie will get jealous. Amanda Bellows also knows something is going on and she and Jeannie try to figure it out.

#120: The Blood of a Jeannie - 10/28/1969
When Jeannie goes to get her blood tested for the marriage license it's discovered that genies have green blood corpuscles rather than red and so Tony tries to device a way that someone else's blood can be drawn in place of Jeannie's.

#121: See You in C-U-B-A - 11/4/1969
Jeannie blinks Tony home from a flight he was making to Puerto Rico so he can help her plan for a party she is holding in celebration of their marriage. When he demands she blink him back, she misfires and blinks him to Cuba where he is taken hostage!

Farrah Fawcett makes an early TV appearance, possibly her first, as Roger's girlfriend.

#122: The Mad Home Wrecker - 11/11/1969
Dr. and Mrs. Bellows give Tony and Jeannie an ugly piece of modern artwork and hire an extremely eccentric interior decorator to redecorate their home as a wedding present. Jeannie and Tony hate the results and Jeannie blinks up new furnishings and decoration which she had seen in a magazine.

This episode showcases the drastic changes to the set including the fireplace in the middle of the living room with a nook above it specifically for the bottle.

#123: Uncles a Go-Go - 11/25/1969
Jeannie's Uncle Vasmir and Asmir pop in saying that they must first give their approval of Tony before she can marry him by putting him through a series of tests, without his knowledge. Of course, he passes, but not without some wacky trouble...

#124: The Wedding - 12/2/1969
The day of the wedding has arrived and both Jeannie and Tony couldn't be happier until they find there is a problem: genies cannot be photographed and as Major Nelson is a famous astronaut there will be tons of press there. Jeannie decides to blink in a mannequin that looks like her who she can control from the sidelines and so the wedding goes off without a hitch.

This episode is generally considered to be the nail in the coffin of IDOJ's demise, though Barbara Eden has sited it as one of her favorite episodes.

#125: My Sister, the Homewrecker - 12/9/1969
Jeannie's evil twin sister, Jeannie II, is furious when she finds out that her sister actually married her master as it will make it all the more difficult for her (Jeannie II) to get Tony as her master so she plans to break up the marriage by posing as Jeannie and flirting with NASA's new hunk, Biff Jellico.

Biff is played by Michael Ansara, who was Barbara Eden's husband at the time.

Farrah Fawcett makes her second and final appearance as Roger's girlfriend.

This is the last time Jeannie II makes an appearance on the show.

#126: Jeannie, the Matchmaker - 12/16/1969
Jeannie tries setting up Roger on a date she gets for him from a computer dating service at the same time that Tony has been assigned to find a date for the General's niece.

#127: Never Put a Genie on a Budget - 12/30/1969
Tony tries to teach Jeannie how to budget and she goes overboard by skimping on their meals and cutting out their electricity just as Tony is to entertain a visiting Russian cosmonaut.

This is the last script Sidney Sheldon, the show's creator, wrote and the first time since the second season that he used his real name. Previously he had been using a variety of pseudonyms.

#128: Please Don't Give My Genie No More Wine - 1/6/1970
Jeannie blinks in a bottle of wine as a gift for the Bellows' where she and Tony are invited for an informal dinner party. The trouble is anyone who drinks the wine becomes invisible and the Bellows are rather thirsty that evening.

#129: One of Our Hotels Is Growing - 1/13/1970
Roger and the Bellows accompany the Nelsons on a trip to Disneyland only to find that the hotel has been overbooked, so Jeannie blinks in another floor just for them, much to the confusion of the hotel clerk and the drunk who goes to the roof every day to attempt jumping off.

#130: The Solid Gold Jeannie - 1/20/1970
When Tony and two other astronauts return from a flight to the moon they must spend 21 days in a decontamination chamber. Jeannie, who is too excited to see her husband, blinks into the chamber only to be told by Tony that she, too, must stay in there. She blinks into one of the gold astronaut suits and makes herself tiny to be unobtrusive but one of the other astronauts sees her and thinks that they may have brought back a moon dweller.

This is the second appearance of Commander Wingate. He was originally played by Richard Mulligan in the fourth season but for some reason is played by a different actor here.

#131: Mrs. Djinn Djinn - 2/3/1970
Jeannie's magical dog, Djinn Djinn, shows up with a female companion who happens to be the mother of his puppies. When Roger finds Jeannie prepping for the baby dogs, he thinks she is the one expecting and spreads the word over NASA that Tony is going to be a father.

This marks Djinn Djinn's last appearance on the show.

Jeannie and Tony eventually do have a child, though not on the series. He is shown in the TV movies "IDOJ: 15 Years Later" and "I Still Dream of Jeannie". His name is Tony Jr. but everyone calls him TJ.

#132: Jeannie and the Curious Kid - 2/10/1970
Dr. Bellows' trouble making nephew, Melvin, stays with Jeannie and Tony and learns Jeannie's secret accidentally when he sees her smoke out of her bottle. He tricks her back into it and takes her home with him and Tony has to try and sneak into the Bellows' to get her back.

#133: Jeannie, the Recording Secretary - 2/24/1970
Jeannie finds that there is a competition for the Best Husband of the Year and the prize is a trip for two to Hawaii. As she wants to win very badly she blinks Tony home from testing he was doing which involved being put into a sleep state for a long period of time. She blinks his unconscious body into performing great "husband" tasks for the judges.

#134: Help, Help, a Shark - 3/3/1970
Tony accidentally breaks General Schaeffer's hand just before the General was to play a pool game against a friendly rival, General Fitzhugh. Tony is enlisted to take the General's place and believes he can win with Jeannie's help, only she gets accidentally knocked out in the middle of the game.

General Fitzhugh is portrayed by Jim Bachus aka Mr. Howell from "Gilligan's Island.

#135: Eternally Yours, Jeannie - 3/17/1970
An old highschool sweetheart of Tony's sends him a letter saying she will be in town to see him causing Jeannie to become jealous as the girl was very beautiful. Jeannie decides to pose as the girl to fool Tony.

#136: An Astronaut in Sheep's Clothing - 3/24/1970
Jeannie decides to knit Tony a sweater by hand for their 6 month wedding anniversary and Tony decides to get Jeannie a replica of a pearl necklace that Mrs. Bellows owns. But trouble arises when Jeannie blinks in a goat to get the wool for the sweater yet keeping him out of sight from her husband.

#137: Hurricane Jeannie - 4/28/1970
During a huge hurricane that has hit Florida, Tony is given the assignment of talking down a pair of astronauts who had been returning from a space flight. He gets to do this from the comfort of his own home as he cannot get to NASA for the storm. Dr. Bellows ends up being trapped at Tony's house for the night. During the night Jeannie worries about her husband and asks him to come to bed as he has fallen asleep on the phone. He tells her he must see those astronauts safely to Earth. Jeannie decides to speed up the process by blinking them into their house just as Dr. Bellows has walked in on his way to get a midnight snack! There is no hiding what he just saw and Tony decides it's time to let Dr. Bellows in on the secret he's been hiding for the past five years.

This episode was the last to be filmed and was set to be the last aired but the real life Apollo 13 disaster pre-empted all TV for awhile so this episode and the two remaining were shuffled around, which is sad as this episode would've made a fitting series finale.

#138: One Jeannie Beats Four of a Kind - 5/19/1970
Roger gets himself and Tony mixed up with a card shark, who happens to be in the mafia.

This episode was directed by Barbara Eden's husband, Michael Ansara.

#139My Master, the Chili King - 5/26/1970
Tony's cousin from Texas blows into town and talk Jeannie into joining him in a business venture of marketing chili with Tony's face on it. The trouble is astronauts must get clearance from NASA before they can do endorsements and so Tony finds himself in a mess of trouble.

And so ends IDOJ. But we see the characters again later on.

Three years after IDOJ ended CBS aired a Hannah-Barbera cartoon entitled Jeannie, that was based on the character of Jeannie. Though this time, Jeannie is a red-head and uses her pony tail to perform her magic. Her master is a young surfer boy named Corey (voiced by Mark Hamill just before he made his mark in cinematic history as Luke SkyWalker). Jeannie is also in charge of a 'Junior Genie', a big bumbling guy named Babu who causes chaos whenever he does magic so Jeannie and Corey always have to cover him not to mention Corey trying to hide the fact that he owns a genie. There were 16 episodes produced. Jeannie and Babu also make an appearance on "The New Scooby Doo Movies" the same month the Jeannie cartoon premiered.

In 1985, NBC aired the television movie "I Dream of Jeannie: 15 Years Later" which updated the antics of Barbara Eden's Jeannie. Unfortunately Larry Hagman claims he was never told they were going to film this movie so he wasn't in it and was replaced by Wayne Rogers as Major Nelson. But both Bill Daily and Hayden Rourke reprise their original roles and as was mentioned earlier we find that Tony and Jeannie had a son.

In 1991 another reunion movied aired titled "I Still Dream of Jeannie". This time the character of Major Nelson doesn't show up at all and was a very poor movie though Barbara still looked great in her Jeannie costume.

Barbara has made a few more appearances as Jeannie over the years, most notably in a Lexus commercial.

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I'm hoping they release the 5th Season along with "The Complete Series" boxset, as I've held off on buying, and would love the entire show at once. And, naturally, it would be cheaper as one set.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
David*P, thanks for the S5 summary!

I'm also waiting for an S5 post at TSoD. It's gotta come soon.

I'm in the minority about S5 but I still liked the show after the "marriage". I admit that it lost some momentum after that but not as much to me for some reason.

Mike, I wish I had your will-power :) I couldn't wait for a box set for Jeannie although you're probably going to be right about the lower cost.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
According to rumors posted over at TVShowsonDVD.com Season 5 is coming out in July!! Man, it's been forever since Season 4 but I can't wait!!

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Another set Completed this summer!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
According to an interview with Larry Hagman on CNN last year, he stated that he felt the show lost steam when Tony and Jeannie got married.
Hagman added that he felt the show could have lasted another 4-5 years if Tony had stayed single and the writing remained strong.

LizH

Second Unit
I think it's well that the show ended when it did.

It was beginning to get repetitive. :frowning:

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
My personal belief is that the ideal run for a series is 3-5 years. I just think that once you get past that point shows start to run on fumes. Even though many series have gone beyond the five year mark, they usually go downhill in later seasons.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Hank, I agree also. It does often seem that the 3-5 yr season-length is about right for a lot of shows. I can think of several shows (not necessarily Jeannie) that lasted beyond what seemed to be the "peak" season but I don't want to name names on this thread :)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray

Virtually all shows run beyong the "peak" season. Why cancel a show that's cooking on all four burners and presumably doing well in the ratings? When a show does go out after a peak season because a star calls it quits (Dick Van Dyke, Mary Tyler Moore, etc.) it's a major television event.

Rather than name names of shows that went beyond their peak, which is nearly every show, better to name shows that went beyond five seasons and remained at that peak. I'd nominate Mary Tyler Moore, Frasier, The Carol Burnett Show and MASH.

Putting the topic back on thread, I'd say I Dream of Jeannie had explored all the avenues available to them by the time Jeannie and Tony wed. It's just as well that they tied everything up with a bow by having them marry in the last season. Ditto Get Smart, although they married in season four and became parents in the final season five, effectively killing any future for those characters as spies but giving audiences some satisfaction before turning out the lights on the show.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Another show that could have gone another season was I Spy. NBC wanted it to go another season but Sheldon Leonard felt it had run it's course and that a fourth season might not be very good. So what happened was NBC had a deal for another show from Leonard, the very entertaining My Friend Tony. It had an appeal to younger viewers but because they were pissed at him they put it on Sunday night at 10PM where it didn't do well and lasted a half year.

Speaking of IDOJ, for the 1967 season, NBC only had room for one Screen Gems series and it was between Occasional Wife and Jeannie for pickup, both with similar numbers but they went with Jeannie because it already had 2 seasons and was closer to having enough for syndication. Too bad because OW was a great show.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the summary of season 5 and beyond, David. I fondly remember watching "Hurricane Jeannie" back in 1970, and thought wow, Dr. Bellows knows! It would have been great to see Hagman in the follow-ups. i wonder what the real story was.

I haven't picked up any of the seasons, maybe there will be a box set. I always seem to miss out on those because I usually collect a show as it comes out.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David

You're welcome!

I would say aside from the pilot episode, "Hurricane Jeannie" is my favorite episode. BE looks absolutely HOT in this episode not to mention the high tension knowing that Dr. Bellows seemingly has found out about what has been going on the past five years, plus the bottle getting broke, and I always thought it cool that Jeannie was able to blink the two astronauts down all the way from outer space.

I hope there is a box set....seems like lately Sony has been going the Boxed Set route with classic shows like "What's Happening" and "Soap"...hopefully the same will be done with IDOJ though hopefully with added extras like commercials and such.

LizH

Second Unit
I would think that Sony would produce a Complete Series set (If but to release the two TV-movies that were produced after the show.)

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David

I think that would make it a little more incentive to buy, especially those of us that have all ready been purchasing the individual seasons.

So, Amazon is listing July 8 as the day it will be released! Can't wait until next Monday to see the cover art and if, by any stretch, there may be some extras!

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Guess we don't have to wait til Monday to see the cover art because I believe this is it!! I found it over at I Dream of Jeannie Fans - Season 5 Release Information and Advanced Artwork -- See It Here First

I think it's AWESOME!!! That's a very romantic pic of Tony and Jeannie on the carpet and I just like that there are so many pics from a lot of different episodes including that one of Tony(??!!!) in the wedding dress on the bottom left corner of the back art.

July 8 cannot get here soon enough!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks