What's new

Any reviews of "The Heist" out there? (1 Viewer)

DAVE_B

Auditioning
I'm thinking of preordering this movie and wonder what anyone thought of it. I am a Gene Hackman fan but did not hear much buzz about this movie.

John Macri

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I really enjoyed this film. I too am a big Hackman fan and also love Mamet's work. Great acting all around (especially DeVito and Lindo) combined with Mamet's trademark intelligent dialogue and plot intrigue made this an enjoyable couple hours.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
One thing to be aware of is that Heist is not a con-man flick, like so many of Mamet's other recent films (e.g., The Spanish Prisoner). It is, as the title makes clear, a heist flick, and so has certain subtleties of plot that are unique to that genre.

My take on it: if you thought Ocean's Eleven (another recent excellent heist flick) had too many pretty boys, Heist should be perfect for you. On the other hand, if you thought Ocean's Eleven was contrived and/or confusing, you probably will not enjoy Heist.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Gene Hackman is not in THE HEIST... Pierce Brosnan is. Hackman is, however, in David Mamet's HEIST. :D
And in my opinion, Heist was one of my top 5 movies of the year, so I will be grabbing this disc with a quickness! Some of the best dialogue I've heard in a movie.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I, too, have wondered about just buying this even though I haven't seen it because I've heard good things about it.

Just curious: how did you think it compared to The Score? (Which I really liked.)

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
THE SCORE, to me, was a great movie as well... but the two are done with a different tone. That movie is like its jazz soundtrack -- laid-back and deliberate, building to a climax. The problem is that it took a long time getting to that climax, only to have the ending be... well, kinda' pedestrian. Still, a great movie with good performances all around.

HEIST, however, is a game of cross and double-cross that keeps your interest throughout. And when it reaches its climax, it leaves you far more satisfied. Plus, the subtlety of Mamet's dialogue leaves you wondering exactly what happened at the end of the movie and whether it really was the way you perceived it (and I love a movie that makes you think). Couple that with outstanding performances from Gene Hackman, Sam Rockwell, Delroy Lindo and Ricky Jay, and what you get is an absolute gem of a movie. It is reminiscent of caper films from the 70's... and is probably the best example of that kind of retro style since Frankenheimer's RONIN.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Watch for the DVD review to be posted here

on Wednesday.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
I was not terribly impressed with Heist.

First, it really seemed that some lines of dialog were there just as stuff they thought would sound good in the trailer, and seemed really forced in the film. Second, it doesn't take long to realize that the film makers are going to take every oppertunity the get to have a double crossing, plot twist, or "you thought this was this, but really it wasn't", and they become very preditable at that point.

I guess is a rental if you like the actors. They all make the most of what they are given.

I would not recommend a pre-order though.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
As others have mentioned, the title of the film is Heist, NOT The Heist. Just like The Spanish Prisoner, "the ending" is not really "the ending." I know that I'll be purchasing it, even though extras are few.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Twist your melon around this, Aaron:

If you watch the ending again, one could make the argument that Fran and Joe were still working together conning Jimmy. If you watch Joe's reaction at the end, he knew Jimmy would make a play for the gold... but did he know because of experience or because Fran tipped him off? Was Fran's supposed sudden change of heart real or a calculated ploy? The subtlety of the ending leaves it to your own interpretation.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
a double crossing, plot twist, or "you thought this was this, but really it wasn't", and they become very preditable at that point
That is the very nature of just about any heist or caper flick. The same could be true of just about any con-artist flick, too, but there are subtle differences. For example, in a heist flick, the reversals usually turn on what you think you see. In con-artist flicks, they usually

turn on what you think you hear. There are exceptions.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
That is the very nature of just about any heist or caper flick.
However, in other caper and heist flicks, the twists are more effectively executed used more sparingly, which makes them more interesting and less predictable. It also doesn't wear down their effect so quickly. (IMHO of course)

Thanks Jeremy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks