1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Any reviews for "Halloween" yet....?????

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave Mack, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

They are selling the 1 discers (both) at the Virgin store in Times Sq.... I just lent my 2 disc set to a friend who's kid wound up mangling the case!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

2. Scott*E

Scott*E Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone else noticed the music cue flaws on the 2.0 and 5.1 soundtracks on the THX version? The most noticeable one I've found so far is when Laurie is sitting in class and looks out the window to see Michael standing by the station wagon. On the mono track the music starts with a piano and the moment the scene cuts to Michael outside, the sythesizer kicks in making a big emotional impact on the scene. On the 5.1 and 2.0 remixes the music starts about two seconds late and the cues don't match with the cuts. I'm not sure if they fixed it on the 25th anniversary edition or not.

3. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Yes, brother [​IMG], I noticed that problem, too. I looked at few today and I was selected the three tracks during scenes and that one popped up. I don't like the 5.1 remix. I like the original mono track.

Gordy

4. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Kevin Ray

5. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this movie.Its a holy relic to me.

I bought the 2 disc version for like $10 using that old site discountdvd. I almost gave it to my brother when I heard about a new transfer and Im glad I didnt.

I dont mind tweaking in the right case - like what Oliver Stone did for the Pioneer Laser disc of Platoon,but I dont understand why it was done here.

NO WAY Im buying this - Ill be keeping my OOP 2 disc version.

6. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    Hey gang, I heard from the Carpenter camp today and was told Carpenter was *not* involved with the new transfer, however he has "no thoughts" on the matter.

I *might* buy the new release but only for the extras, I'll keep my previous disc when I wanna watch the movie.

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

That just goes to show how crucial it is for the director to be involved in such a process.

It's ashame too since the new tranfers looks as if it's better (except for the coloring).

Looks as if I will just stick with my THX version. However, I have a Halloween question: does the extended cut improve the movie? And, how does the quality compare to the theatrical? I have the 2000 Hologram release that has the full and widescreen versions on the same disc with all those extras. I was just wondering about picking up the extended version and if it would look slightly better.

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Matt Stone
    The picture/sound quality on the extended version is the same as the theatrical cut. Personally, I don't like the extra TV scenes in the extended version...I think they add nothing to the film and throw off the pacing, but that's just my opinion.

They're included on the Criterion LD anyway, so I'm set...but if the scenes pique your curiosity, it's not too much of an investment to pick up the extended version.

9. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

Arnie Douglas
    FYI, the extended version has the original mono soundtrack, not the 5.1 remix the other releases have.

10. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I was just thinking since the extended cut has no extras or pan and scan version that it would look a little better. The THX version I have has a LOT of stuff on it for a one sided disc.

11. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Matt Stone

12. WillG

WillG Lead Actor

"I have a Halloween question: does the extended cut improve the movie?"

What was the deleted footage? I haven't seen the alternate T.V. cut in years

I remember

SPOILER WARNING

1. Loomis in front of the review board pleading about how dangerous Michael is(I actually kind of liked that scene. I saw the T.V. version first and when I saw the theatrical some time later I had wondered where it was until I surmised that it was probably indeed added footage for T.V.)

2. Loomis telling Michael that he has not fooled him

3. Loomis in the Hospital the morning after the escape. Sees "Sister" scribbled into Michael's Door

4. Laurie's Friends at her house talking about being followed

That's all I can remember but the above does not seem to me like a full 12 minutes. Was there more? I know most people do not care for the footage, but I am dissapointed and fail to see why it was cut from this new Release unless it's just A.B. Milking another DVD that is already out there, which I guess the completist in me is going to have to get

13. Jack_TN

Jack_TN Stunt Coordinator

14. Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman Second Unit

Just checked out DVD file and the screenshots of the 25th Aniversary DVD: what a monstrosity. (In the voice of Cpt. Jack Sparrow) Why is the Blue gone!? I will NOT be purchasing this set. I have the previous 1999 single disc release as well as the Criterion LD, so who needs this slop!?

AJG

15. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

I bought this set purely for the extras (and it was cheap!) as I've already got the THX version, but the different colour timing really is a bit of a shock. And (as mentioned by others) the movie's day scenes now have a spring-time feel rather than an autumnal one. Everything looks too "green"; at least on the previous transfer Cundey had done his best to alter our perceptions of the lush Californian foliage in the background. And the night scenes have almost totally lost the blue tint that made them stand out so much in the first place. The real kick in the teeth is the lack of haloing on this transfer, whereas the other current Divimax title (Manhunter Director's Cut) is plagued with it! Maybe they ramped up the sharpness on Manhunter to get the most out of the 1" tape footage in the movie? Not that it actually helped the transfer in any way, of course.

Anchor Bay (for me) have gone from being a respected "cult" dvd producer who made the odd mistake, to an amateurish outfit who are altering classic movies with startling regularity. And all this neatly coincides with Bill Lustig having left the company to set up Blue Underground. PLEASE, dvd gods, let Dawn of the Dead be okay...

16. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Well, I have the new version and am not that disappointed with it. The daytime scenes still "feel" autumn to me. The sky is not bright blue spring, it appears properly overcast and dull. More white than grey, but the same as on the last disc. The foliage is green, but it was green on the last disc. Maybe not as green, but not a huge change. It was really important to make this distinction while watching the frame move as opposed to the static screenshots. With the music and the falling leaves, the effect holds.

The blue is missing from several shots, but is still there in others. The offending door shot is indeed devoid of blue and that's a bit disturbing--but honestly not a deal breaker for me. It's just not the drastic change I had feared.

Now I saw this movie in the theater last year and the print was wretched. It had gone to cyan and had a good 5 minutes spliced out from wear and tear. So I know what the worst case scenario can look like. Therefore I'm not going to sweat the subtle changes since, to me, the effect is still the same (I'm talking about the autumn feel).

17. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Matt Butler
    Im picking my copy up today after work. I am excited but for the extras only. This is one of my top 10 fav movies of all time and it is disturbing to hear about the travesty of how this transfer is.

18. DustinC

DustinC Stunt Coordinator

I agree with what others have already said. The color change is definitely noticeable, but it certainly is not that bad. The blue is there in a lot of shots, but totally missing in others. The whole thing still ticks me off, but it isn't as bad as I was fearing.

Sure, the movie is sharper, but I still think I will stick with my LE.

19. WillG

WillG Lead Actor

Can anyone tell me what store I can find this at? I went to 3 places, Costco, Stupid Mart and Circuit City and just as I thought....nada (Don't live near a Best Buy). I'm really getting pissed off by Stores not carrying re-releases of older titles. I really don't want to have to order it off the web because I don't feel like waiting for it to arrive

20. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter