What's new

Any reviews for "Halloween" yet....????? (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The image on the LE is actually a little more detailed...I popped in the disc last night and the image was razor sharp during the scene where Laurie is on the porch running from Michael. The LE is the definitive presentation in my book, and I'm just fine not buying the 25th edition.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
The LE is the definitive presentation in my book, and I'm just fine not buying the 25th edition.
I would be too as I've got the Limited Edition, but I don't have the Criterion laserdisc (I believe that's where the commentary came from) and I've been dying to have that commentary. That's the only reason I was going to buy this movie, as I love most Carpenter commentaries (minus In the Mouth of Madness). However, I'm not going to financially support Anchor Bay when they keep making so many mistakes (some minor in my eyes, some not) and don't seem to want to do anything about it.

Scott*E

Stunt Coordinator
I can't count how many time I had to restrain myself from buying the THX version because I wanted to wait for this 25th anniversary version. I waited SOOOOOOO long! :angry: What a disappointment.:frowning: I'm going to buy the THX version tomorrow.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking this probably wasn't a big deal, too. Then I saw thsoe screenshots. The colors aren't even close to correct.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
FWIW

People who've actually seen this set are reporting on other message boards that those washed out screen shots are not accurate.

Just one example from another message board:

chris rick

Second Unit
This is disgusting, and a real dissapointment. I won't be buying, so thanks a lot Anchor Bay for screwing up a release I so badly wanted.

Carl Walker

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'm glad that so many people aren't going to buy this... That increases my chances of finding one on Tuesday! :D

IMO, this is no different than the various Silence of the Lambs editions. I own the Criterion for the commentary and unique extras. I own the new MGM version for the film itself because it is anamorphic (and different extras). For Halloween, I'll keep the LE set for the transfer and I'll GLADLY buy the H25 edition for the commentary and documentary.

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
Guys, let me chime in here with my thoughts. I'm just going to repost some messages I made on my own forum. These include rather large screen shots. Mods: If this is inappropriate in any way, obviously feel free to edit/change/delete as you see fit.

Well, I own and have seen this new DVD. My first impressions:

The transfer is definitely brighter. The colors are definitely off - worse in some spots, however. Yes, in some scenes the purple shades are clearly still there, albeit not as vibrant as the 1999 transfer. In others the purple shades are completely gone.

The transfer isn't complete shit in any sense of the word. There are lots of spots where colors appear just fine. Actually, in some spots on the new DVD, colors appear better.

I'm still analyzing, however. I'll be posting a full review SOON. For now I leave you with these...

New DVD:

1999 DVD:

New DVD:

1999 DVD:

New DVD:

1999 DVD:

I took those myself, guys.

A few more comments.

A screen shot is never a 100% representation of how you will see the DVD on your TV or even computer for that matter. There are so many variables, like your own settings for brighteness, contrast, etc.

But regardless, taking the actual screen shot itself still differs from how YOU would see the DVD on your own system. Screen shots don't usually hold the colors as good to begin with. There's a lot of technical reasons for this, some of which I know and others I don't. That's not relevant here, however. Anyway, my screen shots above, the actual colors on both are a bit more vibrant than what you see above. Now, I do several steps when taking screen shots, so mine are a pretty good representation, but still not 100%.

Something to chew on while I continue to prep my review.

Here is an example where the new DVD has better colors, not to mention a sharper picture.

New DVD:

1999 DVD:

That's it for now. Enjoy.

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
Also, one other factor I'll be analyzing and refering to in my review: The transfer on the Criterion LD. How are the colors on that one? Should be interesting to find out.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Im buying it also. Reason being that I want the commentary and the documentary. I have the 2 Disc LE so if this new one is as bad as it seems Ill still have a good transfer of the film. But Im willing to give the new 25th a shot and see it for myself and do my own comparisons.

John KB

Second Unit
I too still plan on buying this. I've never heard the commentary, and I'd love to see the documentary. But I guess I'll stick to the 2000 release when I decide to watch the movie.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
And was shot in the Spring. :D

I don't have cents - I live Scotland. We pence and our phrase is "that's my tupence worth!". ;)

As I stated previously, the theatrical trailers/TV spots from 1978/1981 have the blue hues on the door that Myers punches through - the hues were part of the film's style - Cundey talks about this on the "Halloween Unmasked" documentary on the 1999 DVD.

And not to sound like a hypocritical jackass, but I have the new DVD in the mail - it went out before I could consider cancelling. So what the hell - I'll see for myself on monday. That's actually the best way to fully make your mind up on something anyway, right?

What a situation!

Gordy

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
John,
I had the criterion LD before I sold my collection a few years ago. Its a great commentary!!

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
The colors are just a travesty on this new set...it ruins everything that Cundey created in 1978...the autumn look...the filters...etc...totally ruined by this new transfer...I WONT be buying it!:angry:

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I think he was referring to the fact that DOP Dean Cundey shot the film so that the greens weren't so vibrant and lush, as they are in the new transfer.
Exactly...and by "correcting" the transfer and showing California in it's natural state, it kills the autumn feel of the film.

In that bottom set of screen-shots, the color is definitely more saturated in the new one...but that doesn't meant that it's better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks