Any reviews for "Halloween" yet....?????

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
Well, that bottom shot is one of the few shots where the new disc has more vibrant colors. In most shots it's just the opposite - the new disc has faded and washed out colors in many scenes.

David Von Pein

Producer
Senior HTF Member
I can now see a big advantage to my being color-blind.

I guess it's because of my (partial) color-blindness, but the screenshots showing the long shot of the Haddonfield street look just about identical to me (old vs. new). However, I think a lot of people (particularly men) have degrees of difficulty with certain colors (green vs. brown for example). This has always been a problem with me. Certain shadings of green and brown look identical in my skewed orbs.

Any other color-blind HTFers out there?

Matt Stone

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'm red-green color blind, and the differences are night and day to me.

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
I just posted my review for those wanting to get my opinion.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/halloween-25

And also check:

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-.../compare.shtml

Final Thoughts

Halloween is a classic horror movie. That's a given and I shouldn't even have to say as much. Everyone reading this review should already know that!

As for this DVD, it is a mixed back. I prefer the transfer on the 1999 DVD from Anchor Bay, which wasn't just a limited edition. Both discs on that 2-disc 1999 Limited Edition DVD are still available for purchase separately. The colors on this 2003 DVD are weaker and I found the image overall to be too bright. The supplements are certainly enjoyable and I welcome the addition of the Criterion commentary track. One last complaint: the artwork on this new DVD is horrible. At the very least they should have ditched the 'H25' at the top. That is bound to confuse people considering there is an H20 out there.

If you're a big fan of Halloween and enjoy supplements, this DVD is a must buy for the extras alone. On the other hand, if you're only a casual Halloween fan or aren't all that into supplements, your best sticking with the 1999 DVD for the superior transfer.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I too have a color differential, not sure what colors specifically, but I have issues with certain shades of blue/purple/red green/brown. and those 2 shots do look very similar to me...

On another note, I went looking for a previously released version of Halloween and all I found was the "Extended edition" with the shots made for TV. Does this version also include all thr original theatrical shots in addition to the new ones? and is this transfer worth grabbing while I still can?

David Von Pein

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Well...I guess when watching this new transfer, we could all just pretend in our minds that the summer in 1978 Haddonfield lasted a bit longer than usual, and that the foliage didn't turn very much until AFTER Halloween.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
I think he was referring to the fact that DOP Dean Cundey shot the film so that the greens weren't so vibrant and lush, as they are in the new transfer.
Folks, give me some credit - I do know where the film was shot and when.

My point is that this is what color correcting is all about. Carpenter and Cundey wanted to hide the greenery as much as possible as this was supposed to be taking place in the midwest on Halloween. We are not supposed to be seeing that green.

Cheers,

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
Alright guys, forget about that shot I posted with the stronger greens for the 2003 DVD! That was just one shot I happened to find, and I mainly posted it to show the greater detail/sharpness. It just happened to have stronger greens as well, but that was one of the few scenes on the 2003 DVD with stronger colors, IMO.

Joseph J.D

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
I'll definitely buy the H25 DVD....however, this will be for the commentary and other supplements. I already have the limited edition and am quite satisfied with the proper colors in the transfer- no way I'm getting rid of that one.

David Von Pein

Producer
Senior HTF Member
This is kind of odd ..... DVD Empire has already jacked up the price of H-25 by about two bucks from its $19.49 pre-order price. Curious, seeing as how it's still not streeted as yet.

David Von Pein

Producer
Senior HTF Member
I'm confused about the differing (previous) versions.

Can someone confirm: Is the Limited Edition (2-discer) the exact same transfer as the single-disc 1999 version (which has both WS and FF versions on a one-sided disc)?

Keith E

Stunt Coordinator
I have to say after reading the review at DVDFILE.COM, I was highly disappointed. I sold my limited edition version expecting something great when this was released. Looks like I acted prematurely and will have to hunt down another LE on ebay.

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
Keith,

You could also just go out to the store and buy the single disc 1999 DVD and then the TV disc as well. Then you would have the exact same contents as the LE.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Well, looks like the one discer 1999 version for me. I was really looking forward to that new edition, and I can let a little slide, but those shots are outrageous. I have read of another site though that says they aren't that bad from the disc they've seen. I still might buy it, after I hear more. But today it looks like I must hunt down that 1 discer.