Any reviews for "Halloween" yet....?????

JohnPhi

Stunt Coordinator
Here is a couple more ways to look at it.

How many people complain about what George Lucas did to Star Wars, in terms of not only effects, but also in changing Greedo to firing first. Now that is approved, by the director, but some people don't like it.

Also, just because Cundey came in and changed the color for the 99 release and approved it, does that make it approved by Carpenter. I seriously think it had too much blue in parts

Until I hear from Carpenter himself, who am I or anyone to say this new disc is off or wrong.

Damin J Toell

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
How can we contact Carpenter? Anyone have a connection?
Check back on page 4 of this thread. Michael Allred spoke with Carpenter's assistant. Carpenter was not involved with the new transfer, and he has "no thoughts" on it. It sounds to me as if he doesn't want to step on any toes by saying what he thinks. If the the transfer was correct, I would venture a guess that he would just say so. Being coy about it indicates a negative opinion to me, but YMMV.

DJ

Dave H

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Interesting how he has no thoughts about such an issue. it makes you wonder how little some people think about certain aspects of their films.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Cundey may have supervised the 99 disc, but it's quite different from the original theatrical prints. The DP and directors can't always be trusted in their judgement; people change over the years.

JohnPhi

Stunt Coordinator
I think in this case people should just make up their own mind on what they like. They either like the 99 version or the new one

Matt Stone

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Cundey may have supervised the 99 disc, but it's quite different from the original theatrical prints.
Are you saying that you have a copy of the original theatrical print

...or just that you have the greatest memory in recorded history

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I just can't believe a no-budget, 1970's horror flick has generated 9 pages of discussion about whether or not the coloring is accurate.

I bought the Divimax version, it's the only version of the film I own. Haven't watched it yet, though.

Robert Ringwald

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
I justifed the 15 bucks. It had some nice extras, the commentary is a fantastic listen (if you don't have the LD, ((I don't) then it's new.) The documentary is good, so is the location stuff. The transfer is up to anyone, but I think both have their high points and low points. Still, I'll watch the 1999 version when I view the film.

Damin J Toell

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
The DP and directors can't always be trusted in their judgement; people change over the years.
Yet you want me to believe your claim about what the original theatrical prints looked like? Odd that so many people take the word of those who, say, saw the film once 25 years ago at face value, while simultaneously declaring that the most informed people possible on the subject have no idea what they're talking about.

DJ

JonZ

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
After reading through these posts, Im sticking with my 1999 LE.

The new transfer looks really sharper and more detailed, so its a shame they couldnt get the colors right.

I havent seen the new DVD, but from the screen caps,I agree with those saying the new transfer doesnt even look like it takes place during Halloween

This mess reminds me of what happened with Platoon for the Pioneer LD. When they filmed the movie, they ran so over budget, that they couldnt adjust the color the way they wanted to. They did this for the Pioneer LD. It was approved by both Stone and the director of photography - THIS was the way the film was INTENDED to look.

If u look at the Image release and the new MGM release theres quite a difference. The MGM image is a much better transfer but I really liked the color tweaking that was done for the LD and fist Image DVD release. When I watch the DVD,it makes me miss the tweaked version.

So,If the 1999 version was tweaked because thats the way "it was intended to look",even if it wasnt shown that way in the theaters(becuase of budget or technology,etc),to me, it makes that version "correct".

Dave H

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Here is my question: why wasn't Cundey present for this new release? Does the studio have the final say, or does it depend on the contract, etc.?

Matt Stone

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
There's no law that states the DP/Director must be present for the transfer process. Studios just do it out of courtesy occasionally. Or you have situations like Eraserhead, where the director owns the film and does all the transferring work himself.

Gordon McMurphy

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
I kinda like both transfers - they both have their merits. But the new transfer is still a bit of a "f**k you" to Cundey and Adams who spent a lot of time color-correcting.

But all this talk of color-correcting and "original" color schemes is quite a tricky subject, as I am pretty sure that there are many DVDs out there - DVDs that we all agree have "great transfers", but in actuality, have WRONG colors throughout, but we just son't know it (yet).

In regard to The Howling's color, the Laser was correct, the original DVD was wrong and the new SE is also wrong. Such is life.

Gordy

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Good Lord, I've just seen the screenshots at DVDFile and have just e-mailed Carpenter and his wife/producer, Sandy King, to confirm if this change was sanctioned.
I finally heard back from Sandy. John has not seen the "new" color timing, and he said he had nothing to do with it.

So, for the record (finally!!) the only "authorized" version by anyone associated with the "look" of Halloween is the '99 transfer and color correction that DP Cundey participated in and approved. All other discussion is simply a matter of preference (which is fine!).

Cheers,

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
It's Lustig's opinion that Halloween ushered in the cliche of blue moonlight, and that to neutralize the nighttimes blues would be a big loss.
Not exactly related to this thread and it's more than a little pedantic of me to point this out, but Douglas Sirk was using blue filters for nighttime photography back in the 50s (look at the beautiful transfers of All That Heaven Allows or Written on the Wind currently available on DVD), and I'd be very surprised if he was the first. But anyway...

Harry-N

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
OK, after following this thread through nine pages, I've finally been intrigued enough to go out and get the new transfer of Halloween. I've long been a fan of the film, but had been satisfied with the Criterion LD, figuring it would hold me until I could get around to upgrading to a DVD.

I've yet to look at it, but will be watching carefully for anything that seems out of place. I have to say though that just reading through this thread and looking at the comparison shots, I'll prbably fall on the side of the new transfer. My personal preference has always been the cleanest, clearest version of a film. Coloration would be a secondary concern to me, so that's why I chose to buy the new one. From the descriptions, it sounds like I'll like that one best - and I'd like to thank everyone in this thread for their opinions on the subject. It's been most helpful.

Harry