1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Any reviews for "Halloween" yet....?????

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave Mack, Jul 26, 2003.

1. JohnPhi

JohnPhi Stunt Coordinator

Here is a couple more ways to look at it.

How many people complain about what George Lucas did to Star Wars, in terms of not only effects, but also in changing Greedo to firing first. Now that is approved, by the director, but some people don't like it.

Also, just because Cundey came in and changed the color for the 99 release and approved it, does that make it approved by Carpenter. I seriously think it had too much blue in parts

Until I hear from Carpenter himself, who am I or anyone to say this new disc is off or wrong.

2. Dave H

Dave H Producer

How can we contact Carpenter? Anyone have a connection?

3. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

4. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Interesting how he has no thoughts about such an issue. it makes you wonder how little some people think about certain aspects of their films.

5. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

Cundey may have supervised the 99 disc, but it's quite different from the original theatrical prints. The DP and directors can't always be trusted in their judgement; people change over the years.

6. JohnPhi

JohnPhi Stunt Coordinator

I think in this case people should just make up their own mind on what they like. They either like the 99 version or the new one

7. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Matt Stone

8. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I just can't believe a no-budget, 1970's horror flick has generated 9 pages of discussion about whether or not the coloring is accurate. [​IMG]

I bought the Divimax version, it's the only version of the film I own. Haven't watched it yet, though.

9. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

I justifed the 15 bucks. It had some nice extras, the commentary is a fantastic listen (if you don't have the LD, ((I don't) then it's new.) The documentary is good, so is the location stuff. The transfer is up to anyone, but I think both have their high points and low points. Still, I'll watch the 1999 version when I view the film.

10. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

11. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

12. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

After reading through these posts, Im sticking with my 1999 LE.

The new transfer looks really sharper and more detailed, so its a shame they couldnt get the colors right.

I havent seen the new DVD, but from the screen caps,I agree with those saying the new transfer doesnt even look like it takes place during Halloween

This mess reminds me of what happened with Platoon for the Pioneer LD. When they filmed the movie, they ran so over budget, that they couldnt adjust the color the way they wanted to. They did this for the Pioneer LD. It was approved by both Stone and the director of photography - THIS was the way the film was INTENDED to look.

If u look at the Image release and the new MGM release theres quite a difference. The MGM image is a much better transfer but I really liked the color tweaking that was done for the LD and fist Image DVD release. When I watch the DVD,it makes me miss the tweaked version.

So,If the 1999 version was tweaked because thats the way "it was intended to look",even if it wasnt shown that way in the theaters(becuase of budget or technology,etc),to me, it makes that version "correct".

13. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

14. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Here is my question: why wasn't Cundey present for this new release? Does the studio have the final say, or does it depend on the contract, etc.?

15. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Matt Stone
    There's no law that states the DP/Director must be present for the transfer process. Studios just do it out of courtesy occasionally. Or you have situations like Eraserhead, where the director owns the film and does all the transferring work himself.

16. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I kinda like both transfers - they both have their merits. But the new transfer is still a bit of a "f**k you" to Cundey and Adams who spent a lot of time color-correcting.

But all this talk of color-correcting and "original" color schemes is quite a tricky subject, as I am pretty sure that there are many DVDs out there - DVDs that we all agree have "great transfers", but in actuality, have WRONG colors throughout, but we just son't know it (yet).

In regard to The Howling's color, the Laser was correct, the original DVD was wrong and the new SE is also wrong. Such is life.

Gordy

17. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

18. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

19. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    OK, after following this thread through nine pages, I've finally been intrigued enough to go out and get the new transfer of Halloween. I've long been a fan of the film, but had been satisfied with the Criterion LD, figuring it would hold me until I could get around to upgrading to a DVD.

I've yet to look at it, but will be watching carefully for anything that seems out of place. I have to say though that just reading through this thread and looking at the comparison shots, I'll prbably fall on the side of the new transfer. My personal preference has always been the cleanest, clearest version of a film. Coloration would be a secondary concern to me, so that's why I chose to buy the new one. From the descriptions, it sounds like I'll like that one best - and I'd like to thank everyone in this thread for their opinions on the subject. It's been most helpful.

Harry