What's new

Any electricians in here? (1 Viewer)

Dan Whalen

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a problem with the ceiling fan/light in our living room. A few weeks ago I flipped the switch off, but the light stayed on. I flipped it on and off about six times before it finally went off. It only did it occasionally. Then it started doing it when I tried to turn the light on (not comming on unless I flipped it a few times). Now the light won't come on at all. What would be the most likely culprit; the switch, the wiring, or the light? I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but a couple of months ago, we had a really (and I mean REALLY) close lightning strike. It made everything in the house flicker, then come back on. The light never did this before the lightning. Any thoughts?

Dan

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I'd replace it with a known good bulb first, and if that doesn't work, go out and buy a new switch. It probably just went bad on you. They are easy to change, BUT DON'T FORGET TO CUT THE JUICE FIRST!

Not doing that could result in a very shocking experience!
Glenn

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Is it a regular (mechanical) light switch or an electronic and/or dimmer switch? If it's electronic it's probably going bad. If it's a regular mechanical switch, I'm stumped as these usually either work or they don't (as in the light won't go on at all). But faulty wiring or a short somewhere could cause problems like you describe.

Also, is it a 3 way switch (two switches controlling the same light)?

KJP

Blake R

Stunt Coordinator
I would shut off the breaker feeding that branch circuit and then bypass the switch/fan control by nutting together the hot and the switchleg in the outlet box containing the fan control. Turn your breaker back on and see if the fan is operating normally. Toggle the breaker several times and observe the fan operation. Or just replace the switch and conduct the same experiment by toggling the switch instead of the breaker. If it's still flakey your fan wiring may be bad.

Be careful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim86
Recent bookmarks