Any electricians in here?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Whalen, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Dan Whalen

Dan Whalen Stunt Coordinator

I've got a problem with the ceiling fan/light in our living room. A few weeks ago I flipped the switch off, but the light stayed on. I flipped it on and off about six times before it finally went off. It only did it occasionally. Then it started doing it when I tried to turn the light on (not comming on unless I flipped it a few times). Now the light won't come on at all. What would be the most likely culprit; the switch, the wiring, or the light? I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but a couple of months ago, we had a really (and I mean REALLY) close lightning strike. It made everything in the house flicker, then come back on. The light never did this before the lightning. Any thoughts?

Dan

2. GeorgeTW

GeorgeTW Stunt Coordinator

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I'd replace it with a known good bulb first, and if that doesn't work, go out and buy a new switch. It probably just went bad on you. They are easy to change, BUT DON'T FORGET TO CUT THE JUICE FIRST!

Not doing that could result in a very shocking experience!
    Glenn

4. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

It seems that the switch would be the first place I would look...

TimK

5. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Is it a regular (mechanical) light switch or an electronic and/or dimmer switch? If it's electronic it's probably going bad. If it's a regular mechanical switch, I'm stumped as these usually either work or they don't (as in the light won't go on at all). But faulty wiring or a short somewhere could cause problems like you describe.

Also, is it a 3 way switch (two switches controlling the same light)?

KJP

6. Blake R

Blake R Stunt Coordinator

I would shut off the breaker feeding that branch circuit and then bypass the switch/fan control by nutting together the hot and the switchleg in the outlet box containing the fan control. Turn your breaker back on and see if the fan is operating normally. Toggle the breaker several times and observe the fan operation. Or just replace the switch and conduct the same experiment by toggling the switch instead of the breaker. If it's still flakey your fan wiring may be bad.

Be careful.

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Sounds like a defective switch to me.