What's new

Question on how to turn an ordinary 2 panel switch into a BRILLIANT one (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
IMG_2363.jpeg

So, this is what I am ASSUMING is called a 2-panel switch?

This switch controls a ceiling fan (left) and my fluorescent kitchen light fixture (right)

I'd like to know if it's feasible that I can switch this out for this:

A few questions go along with that...

1. Can I turn an old ceiling fan into a smart ceiling fan with speed control and voice commands with this Brilliant Switch?
2. I know Fluorescent lights cannot be dimmed (I think that is what I read), but can a switch like this turn them on and off with voice commands?

Are switches like these easy to install? I am basically just swapping out wires from the existing fixture?

Thanks in advance

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
View attachment 175256

So, this is what I am ASSUMING is called a 2-panel switch?

This switch controls a ceiling fan (left) and my fluorescent kitchen light fixture (right)

I'd like to know if it's feasible that I can switch this out for this:

A few questions go along with that...

1. Can I turn an old ceiling fan into a smart ceiling fan with speed control and voice commands with this Brilliant Switch?
2. I know Fluorescent lights cannot be dimmed (I think that is what I read), but can a switch like this turn them on and off with voice commands?

Are switches like these easy to install? I am basically just swapping out wires from the existing fixture?

Thanks in advance

I don't know about how it will work for you but in the reviews there was this. The fan is a no-go.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does Everything You Think and Hope it Should, Except...
Reviewed in the United States on September 3, 2022
Size: 2-Switch PanelVerified Purchase
...Except for fan-speed control. On/off only - For that I subtracted a star. Other than that they thought of nearly everything. High WAF too.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I replaced a number of switches with Lutron Caseta switches. They can be controlled with the physical buttons, with Siri, and with HomeKit, among others. I have automations to turns lights off at night, to dim them for TV watching etc.

Lutron Caseta Smart Switch Starter Kit | Compatible with Alexa, Apple HomeKit, and the Google Assistant | P-BDG-PKG1WS | White https://a.co/d/9p6UCew

Lutron Caséta Smart Home Dimmer Switch and Pico Remote Kit, Works with Alexa, Apple HomeKit, Ring, Google Assistant (Smart Hub Required) | P-PKG1WB-WH | White https://a.co/d/51t5K8p

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks