What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Any early looks at NORTHERN EXPOSURE Season one? (1 Viewer)

cole_b

Agent
I would be interested in picking this up if it wasn't $35-40. I'd think a lot of people (myself included) would be more inclined to give it a shot if it was, say, $20.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I picked up the NX set today. I really like the packaging and the quality of the episodes so far is superb. While i agree they should have combined s1/s2 together to be more reasonable with the price, i don't mind it much since this series is so great. It's only $35 c'mon you spend that much on 2 movies and get less for your money. Not to many people who are fans of this show are not gonna get it because of price i don't think. I am Looking forward to hopefully a quick turnaround on Season 2 :emoji_thumbsup:

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
Does anyone else HATE the fact that they force a preview of MONK that you can't skip with chapter search or the menu button? (only fast forward)

Man that aggravates me. Also, no numbered episodes and the labels for side one are on the wrong side! (Usually side 1 labels are opposite since the disc is read on bottom)

Other than that, I like the set and hope the rest come FAST.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I'm playing it now. The disk labels are WRONG; they're on the wrong side. I don't like how they force you to watch previews. How hard could it have been to put together SOME kind of insert so that I know which shows are on which disk?

*sigh*

However, it looks FANTASTIC. Someone did a damn fine job transferring it.

Mike

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Dustin,

Aside of the high price point, I can understand not combinig both initial 2 seasons. It would have meant at least a 3-disk DVD-18 rather than 2-disk DVD-14 to accomplish -- a bit of a risk for an initial offering -- not knowing the demand it would generate (especially at the elevated pricepoint). I can imagine that the music rights dictated the break-even point calculations and the SRP and dscounted price policies. I can only hope that since they had to recoup the royalties for this set for this offering without knowing if there would be follow-on releases (witness the Mad About You situation) that subsequent seasons may be more reasonably priced (assuming there are no more classic music segments ...)

I picked this up at CC for $34.99. I never made the mental calculation of price/episode (not being aware that season 1 only had 8 episodes) but now realize it is well above the norm for TV on DVD offerings.

Joel

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator
Another reason that Universal may be using a high SRP is for wholesale assortments (Costco, Sam's, etc.). The contents of any trays/cartons/pallets for wholesale clubs have to be the same SRP. So, if they keep all of their sets the same price regardless of # of episodes, come the holidays they'll be able to set up pallets of assorted Universal TV-on-DVD, and whenever the next seasons of Northern Exposure arrive, they'll be able to repromote the previous season sets in the same tray.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Has Universal announced a second season of ANYTHING yet?

I agree it's lame there is not even an episode guide printed with the set. For $12 that would be fine, but not at this price.

However, who wants to speculate on season two's gimmick? I'd be up for a NE or KBHR coffee mug...

Greg_P

Stunt Coordinator

Hey on a side note I have a KBHR coffee cup I drink out of all the time. Many moons ago I went out to Roslyn Washington aka Cicely Alaska. It was right after the series was canceled. They had petitions up and still had Ruth Ann's store up. KBHR itself was basically an empty room as was Doc Fleishman oops I mean Doc Capra's office. I had a nice lunch at "The Brick" while I was there. They had a souvenir store that was pretty desolate but I picked up a KBHR coffee cup and KBHR tee shirt while I was out there.

Greg

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Yup, Law & Order. Although Universal has been releasing TV product for a few years now, they've only really just started releasing it. The whole "we're for sale" and then "we're bought" thing screwed with them, but we're going to see a LOT more stuff coming out before the end of the year

Gord

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

More NX among it I hope! My season one still isn't here - you'd think the mail would see a parka and speed deliver it - after all this IS Canada.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I picked mine up from Best Buy with a price match to CC. When it comes to a highly coveted release like this, unless an etailer offers an outrageous deal, I prefer to buy it at a B&M.

Throw in special packaging like the one for NE and an old-fashioned buy at the store becomes more important. I sifted through about 5 copies and noticed that they were all slightly different, particularly with regards to the stitching and the color of the parka.

Some parkas were more dingy and faded while others were more vibrant florescent orange. I chose the latter out of personal preference. Also, the stitching was more even on some than others.

Crazy I know, but as I said, this was my most highly coveted dvd release.

MarcS

Stunt Coordinator
Based on the title of this thread--"LOOKS at Northern Exposure"--I'd hope more would be commenting on the content rather than form (but I agree with observations).

I picked it up at CC for $35, watched the first episode last night, and realized I had a smile on my face the whole time--both with enjoyment of the pilot itself, and with anticipation of the episodes to come...

The colors are great, nice saturation, some EE, but what a pleasure to watch...

Can't wait for the magic of the rest of the DVD...

I don't even think about cost per episode--it's already worth it for me...

:)

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
i watched the pilot episode last night, saw one time that there was a white splotch like the ones that are througout ER Season 1.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I finally had a chance to watch the pilot last night, and if the quality holds up, I am quite satisfied with it. However, that is about the only thing I really have praise for so far. Considering the premium price, the packaging is pretty subpar (yes, the parka is novel, but low quality - the zi[pper doesn't work on mine and the moose isn't even the right one), no inserts, they even failed to label the discs on both sides, and what was labeled is wrong. I don't like the menu or chapter advance buttons being locked out on the forced trailer. Sure, having deleted scenes is nice, but I would have opted for more episodes given the choice for the money. Everything, except the presentation quality of the episodes, screams budget release. I hope Universal ditches the gimmicks and the forced trailers on the next sets, and rethinks its price/feature strategy.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
It's not like there isn't a normal case inside the parka. Just put the parka in storage or throw it out and use the keep case if you don't like it. It would have been nice if the disc's were labeled correctly but hey no big deal, it's not like i am gonna forget about it the next time i go to watch them. On a positive note atleast both disc's are mislabled which makes it easier :)

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I've watched the whole set now, and I'm just overjoyed about the picture quality--wow!! Yes, there were a few scenes here and there that didn't look as great as the rest, but this looks really good! Almost more importantly, all the music is there! This show used so much music, and I'm sure a lot of fans have wondered whether it would be replaced. We all know that even some more recent shows than NX have had some music replaced, so I'm just really thrilled that it's all intact here. I just cannot wait for the rest of the series!!

Dan B

Screenwriter
I've viewed the whole set now & I'm happy with the picture quality as well.

I also really liked the extra features & will be thrilled if they continue to provide those for each and every episode.

The lack of labels or an insert with the contents printed on it is a big oversight though, I do hope they fix that for future seasons, and I do hope that those are released in the near future too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sbaker1991
Recent bookmarks