Any early looks at NORTHERN EXPOSURE Season one?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jeff Ulmer, May 17, 2004.

1. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Title says it all. While I hate buying incomplete TV series, this one is an exception. Too bad we're only getting the first season and not a combined season one and two. Extras are nice, but I just hope the music is intact, and that the transfers look good.

2. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

I haven't put it in the player yet, but the packaging is slick! I love the little moose on the zipper [​IMG]

This is the proper way to do a custom package, unlike the Cylon head. This one will fit on a shelf, and the vest makes it look...umm...warm.

Gord

3. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

Cool! Can't wait to hear any sort of review! Thanx Gord.

Andy

4. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

5. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

This is mine first thing on tuesday!

6. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I wonder what Universal is planning for future seasons. While the parka is a novel packaging idea, I'm more concerned with getting the show released intact and at a reasonable price point.

Hopefully mine will ship early so I have it for Tuesday.

I'm also looking forward to some word on how this looks and whether it is indeed intact, or whether we are only paying a premium for gimmicky packaging.

7. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Have yet to decide whether to order from Amazon.ca for $33.04 USD shippped or Circuit City, which lists a current price of $34.99 online.

Hopefully CC will lower its current pre-order price for release week.

8. ScottDombrowski

ScottDombrowski Second Unit

Scott
    Mine shipped yesterday from DDD too! I really can't wait to watch these. I taped and watched the whole series a few years ago on A&E but haven't watched it ever since I got a DVD player shortly afterwards and started watching TV series on DVD, hoping to get NX! I really hope season 2 follows shortly because I can't imagine how many times I'll be watching these first 7(?) episodes until then!

9. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I suspect we are in for a bit of a wait on season two after the lead time season one had from its announcement.

10. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

AFAIK screeners went out late.

11. Gord Lacey

I'm watching the pilot and I'm very impressed. The picture looks great. I had to double-check that I was watching a 14 year old show.

One problem (at least on my set) - Side 1 and Side 2 are reversed for disc 1. I started watching what I thought was the first episode...but it didn't feel right so I checked the discs...yup, Disc 1 Side 1. Then I looked at the episode title andan episode guide and realized I was a few minutes into episode 3.

Gord

12. Ray O

Ray O Extra

Received mine in the mail, CAN$34.99 shipped. Had the same situation when I put disk one in, it had the Soapy episode rather than the pilot on side one. Otherwise, this disk looks great to me. I know what I'll be doing during the Victoria Day long weekend.

13. David*P

David*P Supporting Actor

David
    So, all you that received it last week, did you have a chance this weekend to get a good idea of what you think of NE s.1? I'm planning on buying it for my dad for Father's Day.

14. Gord Lacey

I'm just finishing my review of the set and hope to have it posted later tonight.

15. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Ray, where did you get yours for that price?

Thanks,

Jeff

16. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

There had better be a moose in my mail today...

...and season two had better be on the books for later this year...

17. David*P

David*P Supporting Actor

David
    I liked your review, Gord. And I agree about your sentiments of combining the first two seasons. Why wasn't that done? I would almost hope that people wouldn't buy it so they would see that we don't want to be trapped into paying so much each for two seasons. But I know how it is when you really want a show on DVD.

18. ScottDombrowski

ScottDombrowski Second Unit

Scott
    Well I do agree that both seasons should have been packaged together--there is some major complaining all over the internet as to the price versus number of episodes in this set. Personally, I just can't make too big a deal about it because this is one on my favorite shows of all time, and I just have to have it at any price. I wasn't sure from the pictures, but I love the parka and, like Gord said, the moose zipper! The picture quality looks amazing to me and about 100 times better than it ever looked when I watched it when it was first aired in 1990! This is definitely one show where I wish there were some commentaries and interviews, but I have to say that the extras they did include are really great. Extended/deleted scenes and outtakes seem pretty rare on a lot of tv series releases, and as a huge fan it's great to see different scenes with slightly different dialogue and compare them with what was actually used. I also like hearing a direction being given to the actors and then seeing them do it. I can't be 100% positive, but of the four episodes I've watched so far, the music seems to be intact. At least certain songs I specifically remember are there. That's a good sign and perhaps one of the reasons for a higher price for this set? All in all, some minor quibbles aside, I'm overjoyed to finally have this--please release season's 2 and beyond quickly!!

19. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I have been advocating this since I first started asking for this show, but at least we have season one now.

It will be interesting to see if Universal continues with the gimmicky packaging for season 2, but once we are beyond that, how are they going to make sure that the packaging has some consistency going from 8 episodes to seven, to 22+? I sure hope they don't follow pricing on a per episode basis for seasons 3 and beyond.

20. Randy_Cre

Randy_Cre Agent

I picked it up at Best Buy today $43.68 (after taxes). It seems high on a per episode cost, but it was one of my favorite shows so it really didn't bother me, especially when I keep in mind that this is a show that had could have some expensive music rights costs.

The parka packaging was cute, though I really hope it didn't factor into the cost too much. To me it seems like some expensive shrink wrap. I've already tossed it into a misc. a/v storage cabinet, since it came in a standard DVD case with artwork, and ID on the spine. My own personal preference is storing/displaying it that way.

And I do agree with the sentiment of combining both seasons (I had forgotten, until mentioned in the forum, that season 2 was an abbreviated season as well). Though perhaps there was a feeling that pushing the $100-mark for 15 shows would push the buy/pain threshold too high. The dollar/episode cost wouldn't be any worse, but $35-45 falls closer to the 'impulse buy' range.