What's new

Any advantage to running the same gauge wire all around? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -
currently, i'm running monster 12g to my mains, but i'm running (i think) 16g monster to my center. i'm also running the monster xp wire (no clue as to what gauge...i'm guessing 16g) to my rears.
do you think this is causing any problems? i'm thinking about just going to home-depot and buying a spool of their 12g. and re-wiring everything. :)
tia

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Keep what you have, assuming the wire thickness versus distance to the speakers fits your opinion of what is needed. The only? advantages of using the same gauge wire for everything is not having to think about "what gauge shall I use", and only one spool of leftovers rather than several. In some cases the amount of leftovers from having different gauge wire on hand may exceed the added cost of using the needed thickest gauge wire as the one spool for everything.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thanks allan -
that's kinda what i was thinking, but wasn't really sure. as long as i'm not taking any kind of performance hit then i'm cool.
:)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
no problems really. keeping a spool of 12 gauge laying around tends to simplify things. any actual differences would manifest themselves as slight (maybe 0.1 db or so) of high frequency drop off over nominally long runs. this is not even audible. in the end one typically level matches for where they're sitting. conclusion...don't sweat it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks