Any advantage to running the same gauge wire all around?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -
    currently, i'm running monster 12g to my mains, but i'm running (i think) 16g monster to my center. i'm also running the monster xp wire (no clue as to what gauge...i'm guessing 16g) to my rears.
    do you think this is causing any problems? i'm thinking about just going to home-depot and buying a spool of their 12g. and re-wiring everything. [​IMG]
    tia

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Keep what you have, assuming the wire thickness versus distance to the speakers fits your opinion of what is needed. The only? advantages of using the same gauge wire for everything is not having to think about "what gauge shall I use", and only one spool of leftovers rather than several. In some cases the amount of leftovers from having different gauge wire on hand may exceed the added cost of using the needed thickest gauge wire as the one spool for everything.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thanks allan -
    that's kinda what i was thinking, but wasn't really sure. as long as i'm not taking any kind of performance hit then i'm cool.
    [​IMG]

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

no problems really. keeping a spool of 12 gauge laying around tends to simplify things. any actual differences would manifest themselves as slight (maybe 0.1 db or so) of high frequency drop off over nominally long runs. this is not even audible. in the end one typically level matches for where they're sitting. conclusion...don't sweat it.