What's new

Another pre-pro/receiver question...sorry. (1 Viewer)

Lynn Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
I've read a number of posts out here regarding the pre-pro/amp vs integrated receiver stuff to be convinced that I want to migrate to separates. Taking a chance without auditioning it, I got a good deal on a Denon POA-8300 3 channel amp, and when it arrives, it will run my front 3 for the M&K 750THX Select setup. My current receiver is a Denon 1802, but I would STONGLY consider moving to rear amplification as well if the POA-8300 is as much of an improvement as I'm hoping. The question is - since I'm not really gonna switch to a 6.1 setup soon, would I be better off going to, say, a Denon 1803(it has all the pre-outs for a 6.1 setup), go to a dedicated pre-pro(within a decent price level), or perhaps jump to something like a Denon 3802? Is the pre-pro on a Denon 3802 comparable or better than a dedicated pre-pro within the same price range, and is the 3802 significantly better as a pre-pro than a 1803? Sorry for all the questions, but someone out there has got to know...thanks again for sharing your knowledge!

Yogi

Screenwriter
Is the pre-pro on a Denon 3802 comparable or better than a dedicated pre-pro within the same price range, and is the 3802 significantly better as a pre-pro than a 1803?
I dont know about the 1803 but the 3802 has an excellent prepro section. I have tried various amps with the 3802 and it has been able to drive all the amps, even the insensitive ones (10KOhm input impedance) to reference levels. Its got enough juice to run any SS amp out there and very good resolution and processing. In direct 2 channel mode it throws a very large, layered sound stage extending beyond the physical boundaries of the speakers and deep enough to sink the Titanic (OK that was exagerated). I haven't compared it to the outlaw 950 in the same price range but from listening to people's impressions in the forum I think its can stand its own ground against the 950. Its got a very nice amp section also, warm and musical. Its tested out at 148 watts in two channel mode so all you need is a 125Wx3 channel amp for the front 3 and you will have a killer setup that will keep you happy for a long time. BTW the POA 8300 is an excellent amp, very warm laidback and musical. Also when you ask about the 3802 vs. the 1803's prepro section you do realize that the 1803 doesn't have any preouts.

Best of luck.

Lynn Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, I see that the 3802 may be the next jump then. I could have sworn the 1803 had pre-outs, but after checking, I stand corrected(and bummed). My dilemma is that my rear speakers are rated for 8 ohm, 200W, and I wonder if external amplification would be worth it, or if the 3802 would be more than enough if it isn't responsible for driving the fronts...argh! I suppose I'll test out the POA-8300 in the next couple of days(assuming it arrives on time), and I will make a decision then, but I'm afraid I already know...I'll probably want bigger/better for the rears too! Thanks for the reply!

Lynn Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, and any thoughts on the 2802 if I could round up an amp for the rears? Or would I still be much better off with a 3802. Like I said, I don't plan on going to a 6.1 setup for some time.

Yogi

Screenwriter
If you can save more than $200 go with the 2802. Its a fine piece of gear too and would make a big difference with the POA 8300 in the fronts. Also a speaker rating of 200 max doesn't mean anything. I mean it only means that your speaker can take 200W of max power. But long before that your ears will give up. It by no means means that you'll need a 200W amp to drive it to acceptable levels. Depending on your speaker sensitivity (of say 90db/w/m) you will only need a few watts at most to drive it to mormal listening levels. A 90 db sensitivity speaker only needs 1 watts to play at 90 db (if you are 1m away from it). If you are 2m away from it then its output would drop by 3db and of you were 4m away (typical HT setup) it would drop by an additional 3db (3db drop per doubling of distance). So to play at 90 db 4 m away from your speaker all you would need from the amp is 4W/speaker. Also if you add the outputs of the front three speakers (since they are the most active during movies) you get additional 6db. So with 4W/ch in the front three channels you will get 96 db output. Which is quite loud. You will be able to play at reference levels even with your 125wx3 POA amp without a problem even though your speakers are rated at 200W. So dont worry and get the amp and the 2802. You will love it.

Best of luck.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
The 2802 is indead only 6.1 vs the 7.1 of the 3802. However, I currently use the 2802 as a pre/pro with a parasound 885 and it does the trick. Im using 4 of the 5 Parasound amp channels to passively bi-amp my fronts (Klipsch RF3-II's) leaving one channel for my center (RC3-II) and letting the 2808 power my rears and Im learning to love it. That is, I kinda had to train my ears for the Klipsch sound at 1st, but thats another story. I would agree with Yogi that the 2802 makes a for a very good pre/pro, for the money (especially if you can live with 6.1 vs 7.1). My friend has a 3802 with no outboards and it sounds damn good, but I swear (at least to my ears), my 2802 with outboards sounds even better. Ive run across several other hometheaterheads on this site that also use the 2802 as a pre/pro and rave about it as well. If you can get one for a couple hundred less than a 3802, it would save you a couple hundred dollars ;-). I beleive that you can also tell the 2802 that your using 2 speakers for the rear channel if you want, but it would be mono (have yet to see a 7.1 mastered dvd yet anyways, but I know it is coming). Also, the 2802 has pre/outs for the rears as well.

In closing,,,,what is the better receiver of the 2?????, no question, the 3802.....which is the better pre/pro, probably the 3802, but the 2802 is close. If your ears can tell the difference, let them be the judge.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to get.

Regards,
Phil

Yogi

Screenwriter
which is the better pre/pro, probably the 3802, but the 2802 is close. If your ears can tell the difference, let them be the judge.
They are both probably very very close. I dont think you would be able to tell the difference between the two used as prepros.

Lynn Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I'm thinking I'll go with a 2802, as they are QUITE reasonably priced. That would probably be the end of my upgrades for a while, as I like my speakers and TV, just wanted to get to external amplification. THanks for all the help everyone! So far, the poa-8300 is really sweet...couldn't be happier!

Lynn Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, and after looking at the back panel of the Denon 2802(what's with the HUGE picture of this on Denon's site BTW?), I'd be able to feed in the analog signals from my Denon 1600 and finally be able to take advantage of dvd-a music! SWEET!!! The 2802 definitely seems to be the better way to go for me, as I'm only at 5.1 right now, and can't see myself going to a 6.1 setup for a while still.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks