What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Announcing MAUDE : The Complete First Season DVD (1 Viewer)

redbird

Agent
Real Name
M
Yeah, Sony stinks. First they surprise us by bringing a season of Maude out and then that's probably it. Worse is the fact that they've gone deep into All in the Family and it too is stuck. Facts of Life shows no signs of life either.
And The Rookies is probably dead forever. Come on Sony-you defeated HD-DVD. Now show your happiness at your victory by continuing these shows!

Or are they going to make us go Blu Ray in order to continue these shows?:thumbsdown:

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Shows Sony has stopped/abandoned:

Family
The Rookies
Police Woman
Here Come the Brides
SWAT
All in the Family
Maude
Mad About You (again)
I Dream of Jeannie
The Partridge Family

Also they announced one of my all-time favorite series, Bridget Loves Bernie, and then pulled it from release. I know it was written that some big shot left the company and that's why nothing has come out. But that was, what, 10 months ago? What kind of company stops dead in it's tracks for a year due to one person's departure?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm starting to think they were only seriously interested in Seinfeld and King of Queens and put some token older shows out just to make it look the opposite.

Paramount isn't perfect but they seem to be respected just for getting stuff out at all.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
You can add Charlie's Angels and The Jeffersons to that list.A lot of these shows should have been completed by now.I wonder if they would if they were owned by another studio.

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad

Where did you hear this news? Seeing as there is just one more season to complete the series plus the movie coming out in 2010, I can't see them abandoning this w/one season left, hell Bewitched keeps coming at us.

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
According to sales pamphlets that were included with the recent Barney Miller S2 release, IDOJ S5 is "coming soon," along with S3 of Just Shoot Me.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
Maude was the first show I ever bought where going in, I never thought there was a real chance of the second season coming out. It simply hasn't been in syndication enough for today's audience to buy it.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer

That does surprise me, that channels like Lifetime never ran this series. It was on TV land for a few times but they only ran the first season, and then they had a weekend of Maude where they ran a later season but that was it.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
The studios are complaining that their revenue stream from dvd has gotten smaller every year, and that tv dvd is the one area of profit, I read it every week in Variety, Home Media Retailing, Video Business....so I just don't understand Sony's tv-dvd history.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
sad. funny! but sad too.

I love how they skipped right over remaining seasons of aitf and put out a Archie Bunker's Place. What the hell was that? Certainly want that show...but later! AFter I've completed my aitf set.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Seeing this list of Sony-abandoned series really does show how badly they suck at the TV-on-DVD thing. Their "one and done" mentality steams me. You'd think a recent show like "Dharma and Greg" could get a complete release by now. They're a bunch of blooming idiots.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Dharma and Greg is a Fox property, and they're just as bad if not worse.

They did finish some pre-1990s shows: Sanford and Son, Good Times, What's Happening, Soap, and Starsky & Hutch; but to say they did a bang-up job on any of them is an overstatement. They did a lousy job with the final season of Soap.

And I think it's odd how they put season 3 on hulu.com skipping over season 2 and the one episode most people will want to see: Edith's Death. I agree they should have waited, and since they screwed up part 1 of the hour-long pilot (which is available uncut to watch at the Museum of Television and Radio). Hulu also has The Facts of Life...minisodes...all with George Clooney.

Sony must be the Japanese word for clueless.

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator
I had to import the R4 Aus release of Dharma & Greg Season 2, and superb is it too!

Maude season 2 would go down well, come on Sony, you filmed extras about two years ago with both Barbeau and Bea for another season...

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Love this show but I'm guessing the first season went the way of so many other intelligent, older sitcoms and didn't sell very well. I'm betting the show is dead in the water. That's bad enough but it's rarely even shown in syndication, either.

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Will F

You can add "One Day at a Time" to Sony's Hall of Shame.

I would also love to see more "Maude", but I think part of the problem with Sony and Fox and all the big studios is that they are huge bloated bureaucracies, which means that when they release a show on DVD, every part of that bureaucracy has to get involved. That equals big overhead costs that means that any DVD release has to see VERY WELL for them to make a profit. At this point, the best hope for seeing more Maude on DVD is to contact the smaller independent companies, like Shout Factory, and to ask them POLITELY to consider licensing the show from Sony. Smaller companies can produce DVDs for less money, so older series like Maude can sell less well than say a "Scrubs" and still turn a profit.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'm surprised there's so much interest in this series. I was a little too conservative to enjoy it much, though I enjoy the All in the Family episodes she appears in where she's bugging Archie all the time, which is the series her character originated from I believe.

I suspect we probably won't see more of this series (How many seasons did it run for?), but I hope for the fans that it eventually is completely released.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks