What's new

Announcing MAUDE : The Complete First Season DVD (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
A series that brought new and controversial subject matter to television.
I might pick this up just to remind myself how good Adrienne Barbeau looked.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
I really hated this show. Unlike All in the Family, where Archie's extreme conservatism was made to look foolish, Norman Lear obviously agreed with all of the looney liberal ideas that Maude was always spouting so her extreme views were played as perfectly acceptable and right. Therefore there was never any strong counterpoint to balance her arguments.

Barbeau was good looking though, even with the poodle hair.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I've only seen maybe two episodes of this in my life, but I am so getting it. I love Bea Arthur and cannot wait to see more.

Demis G

Second Unit
Real Name
Demetris G

Davis DVD announced it prematurely.
There will be a proper announcement by Gord on TvShowsOnDVD on Monday, he told me
Maybe we'll see a sneak peak at the cover as well? who knows!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

You and I think alike, Michael. This will be another Sony release I'll be passing on. I wish they'd consider some of their 50's and early 60's catalog, but since those shows are in - gasp - black & white no one would want to buy them [insert appropriate sarcastic look here].

Gary "sigh... this is why Sony remains at the bottom of my studio's list" O.

Demis G

Second Unit
Real Name
Demetris G
we (the Bea Arthur fans) should be at least thankful we're getting this on DVD
You know what this means for fans outside of the states whos tv channels/networks have never broadcasted this show? I have only saw an episode online in youtube and it was GREAT!

try and see the bigger picture guys

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
Maude premiered in 1972... THIRTY-FIVE years ago. Hardly a show to make a rant about how companies are bypassing their golden oldies in favor of new shows from last season. Because 35 years is a really long time and Maude is technically a "golden oldie" in and of itself.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

I agree. I also have only seen the one said Maude episode that was on YouTube and loved it. I wasn't around to see the original run of this show and it's been out of syndication forever (we didn't get TV Land when they ran it). But I am a fan of Bea's through The Golden Girls and cannot wait to explore her earlier show, and the fact that Rue McClanahan is also part of the cast is icing on the cake.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Jay, I specifically framed my comments with phrases like "black & white" and "50's and early 60's." What's old to one person isn't to another. That's a given. But it doesn't change the basic premise of my comments. Sony is obviously allergic to their older, black & white shows.

Gary "somehow I had a feeling someone would try to reframe my comments and tell me I should consider MAUDE a 'golden oldie' - sorry, but it's not one in my book" O.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
well, regardless if you like or hate Maude, you have to admit, for a show with an actress as beloved as Bea Arthur and considering it was the spinoff to All In The Family and the parent to Good Times, both of which are widely shown on TV Land and are out on DVD, that Maude coming to DVD is a good thing considering the show is very obscure to most under-35 year olds who became fans of Bea through Golden Girls but have always wanted to see this show, but have never had the chance to outside of a few months back in 1999 on TV Land (we didn't get TV Land in this area until 2001). I know a lot of people who love Golden Girls and have never seen Maude who are planning on getting it as soon as it comes out.

Maude is not a show that suffers from rerun abuse, the fact that it's coming out on DVD is a happy day for a lot of people because it's not, say, All In The Family or MASH from the same time period that you won't have a hard time locating on the television dial because they air daily still. Instead, this is a show that's been out of circulation for a long time and a lot of people have been waiting for on DVD since it's our only route to watch this show.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

No doubt about those comments, Jay. And I'm not trying to rain on MAUDE fans' parade. But you could substitute "FATHER KNOWS BEST," "THE DONNA REED SHOW," "DENNIS THE MENACE", "NAKED CITY", "ROUTE 66" and many other shows in Sony's catalog for MAUDE in your paragraph above. None of those shows have suffered from rerun abuse; none of those shows are easy to find on the dial today; and all those shows would be happily received by many fans on this board.

Gary "again, I'm happy for MAUDE fans - I just wish Sony would give some love to their pre-70's catalog too" O.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Maude is a show that does nothing for me. I didn't care for it 30 years ago and it probably will seem quite dated now. Bea Arthur was much funnier (to me) in the Golden Girls. Still, I take nothing away from Maude fans and I hope they support this release and get all the seasons.

A 35 year old show is not a golden oldie. I'm not much older than that myself and I hardly consider myself an "oldie" :)

As others have said, Sony would be wise to look at their B&W shows (Donna Reed, Robert Young, etc.). By staying away from topical humor many of them have managed to stay timeless and relevant 50 years later.

Steve

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Don't forget that the pseudo-pilot episode for "Maude" is on one of the "All in the Family" sets already released. It's the episode where Edith and Archie travel to Maude's house for the daughter's wedding. Very funny episode.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I think it's clear the Norman Lear shows were pro-Liberal and anti-Conservative --- and yet ....... Archie Bunker did develop into a somewhat lovable character, and his "meathead" son-in-law was sometimes shown to be a hypocrite ----- and Maude was portrayed as obnoxious and also something of a hypocrite (I think she talks about going out for Chink food in an early episode).

I think the show "Maude" was a mild satire of Liberals (for instance, in the way she was condescending to her maid, Florida.) However, it's always clear that Norman Lear series fundamentally portray Liberals as intelligent and right and Conservatives as stupid and wrong, which (regardless of any other considerations) is very unfair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks