What's new

Annie- when will the corrected version be released? (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
This is the 20th Anniversary year of "Annie"...was wondering if anyone heard if Columbia would be re-releasing this title, or at the very least correcting the framing on the version out now.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I've posted about this issue a few times before. It's now been over a year since the current version was noted as being misframed. The word after that was that Columbia would be addressing it "soon." Something tells me they have just quietly decided to ignore it.
Here is the dvdfile review where the problems are identified:
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...o_2/annie.html
With Columbia's recent foolishness we may just get a new Super Deluxe version instead, but only in 4:3 pan-n-scan. :rolleyes

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Someone at Columbia Home Video said the problem was fixed last September, but he didn't know how to identify the new disc from the old one. Since the title hasn't been restocked at many outlets, I would guess the old version is still on the shelves.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
This being the silver (25th) anniversary of the original play, why can't C/TS just redo the whole thing as an SE?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Well,

if there is indeed a new corrected version then it should work like it did with Holy Grail...we should be able to exchange our old copy for the new one.

Anyone have any more info?

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
If a new version was made, then the two DVD's would

most likey have different VOB file dates.

I will check the date of the VOB files when I get

home and post them, then others can check thier discs.

VOB files dated 10/24/2000

Any info on an updated disc with different VOB files dated.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
At this point if Columbia decides to rerelease this title, I'm sure it'll be completely MARred. They don't seem to care about OAR in general right now, why do you think they'd care about this misframing?

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
My wife just picked this up last week. If there is a new disc, what should I look for to determine if this is it?

Peace,

DM

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Dave,

In the "let's go to the movies" musical number, Annie and Grace are doing some dancing routines and then they sit side by side on the makeup stool. As they're singing they push the stool with their feet so it moves across the floor. In the "bad" version, there's a really weird electronic looking pan that happens around this point...sortof like a hand-held cam corder zooming in or something, and for a moment the tops of their heads get cut off the frame!

This does not happen on the laserdisc issued several years back.

Would ya check your copy and see if these strange oddities happen on your disc?

thanks!!!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Just sent this email to:
[email protected]
I'll let you guys know what response I get.
I purchased the original Annie DVD from Colubmia and noticed several instances of some very strange electronic "zooming" and "panning"--in one case the result is that the actors' heads are cut off! I saw reported on several web sites that Columbia had been made aware of the problem and was planning on producing a corrected disc.
On one of the Home-theater forums, where there is a discussion thread regarding the Annie DVD and it's framing problem, a member just reported having bought a new disc in the store and he could not detect these framing inaccuracies that had been described. Has the new "corrected" version been released? If so, will I be able to return my existing defective disc for a replacement (as I did with Holy Grail)?
Please let me know the status of the corrected version and if I will be able to exchange my current copy for the new version when it is available.
Thank-you,
David Boulet

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Ok Dave,

I checked my copy of Annie that my wife bought a couple of weeks ago and it has none of the problems yours does. I checked the scene "Let's Go To The Movies" and there was no weird pan, no zooming, no nothing. The scene looked great and was framed properly. I watched that scene in both Widescreen and Full Screen versions and there was none of what you were referring to. The number on the spine

of the DVD case is 05286 and there are actually two numbers on the inner ring of the disc and they are 025400A1 & 025400B1.

Peace,

DM

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
Thanks Dave,

You need a DVD drive in a computer or laptop.

After you put in the DVD in the drive,

don't play the movie, open your Windows Explorer

and check the video folder on the DVD drive and

you will see a list of files with a VOB extension.

The VOB files are the actual MPEG data files that store

the movie data. Many times, when a change in made and

a disc is repressed, you can notice a change in the

date of the VOB data files.

Examples;

Criterion's Magic Flute (audio problem)

Disc 1 old VOB files 03/31/1998

Disc 1 new VOB files 07/18/2001

Disney's Dinosaur CE (subtitle problems, etc.)

Disc 1 old VOB files 12/11/2000

Disc 1 new VOB files 11/06/2001

CTHE's Holy Grail (subtitle problems)

Disc 1 old VOB files 08/30/2001

Disc 1 new VOB files 09/18/2001

Good luck, and thanks for the help!

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
Thank you very much!

The VOB file dates is the first concrete proof of a change.

My old Annie DVD has the same numbers on the inner ring

025400A1 & 025400B1, so the only way to tell is by the

VOB files. I will write Columbia and see if the exchange.

Thanks again.

Enrique

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I wrote to Columbia but haven't receieved a response. Please let me know if you get any sort of answer from them on an exchange and how to go about it.

thanks!

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I'm also actively following this thread to see what Columbia responds to you guys, so please keep updating.

Also, if anybody happens to get the new disc and also has access to the old one (different VOB file dates) it would be nice if they could specifically check some of the troublesome scenes to verify for sure that they are corrected. Maybe some kind soul will post some screenshot comparisons. See the DVDFile review (link above) for some examples scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks