What's new

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
She couldn't do MFL because she was filming MP. Sound of Music was filmed the following summer. There would have been no interference with her Fox films.
She had a deal with Disney that if Warner at the last minute decided to use her for Lady Walt would let her out of her contract.
But what was the third Fox film? I thought it was two.
But Julie had a three picture deal with FOX and wouldn't have been able to do MFL for WB.
It may have been a 3 picture deal, but it was nonexclusive and Andrews had three films released by other studios between TSOM and Star!: Torn Curtain [Universal], Hawaii [UA] and Thoroughly Modern Millie [Uni]. I suspect, but cannot confirm, that Fox let her out of the 3 picture deal after Star! bombed.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
And then very sadly there was the cancellation of the Irving Berlin musical and she loves me with Dick Van Dyke.

Jimbo.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dimitrios
It may have been a 3 picture deal, but it was nonexclusive and Andrews had three films released by other studios between TSOM and Star!: Torn Curtain [Universal], Hawaii [UA] and Thoroughly Modern Millie [Uni]. I suspect, but cannot confirm, that Fox let her out of the 3 picture deal after Star! bombed.
You forgot The Americanization of Emily.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I got turned off the 1982 ANNIE before I even saw it. I kept hearing little kids off-tune singing "Tomorrow" everywhere I went, it seemed. It's not actually a bad song, but it caused me to hate it by its overuse. It became like a sort of water torture.

This happened again many years later with that f**king LION KING song "Hakuna Matada." Nothin' against kids singing, mind you, if it makes them happy, but...there is a limit to my endurance. I am not alone. My parents were the same when I was just 8 and had one of those 45-r.p.m. record players, but only a couple of records, "Hound Dog" and "La Dee Dah," I think, which I played over and over until my dad threatened me with permanent exile.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Julie Andrews was never a studio star. In fact, she's the first major star to not be attached to a particular studio. She had a two picture deal with Fox, which she fulfilled. The two cancelled films, for which she was paid $1,000,000.00 each, were SHE LOVES ME (MGM), with Dick Van Dyke and SAY IT WITH MUSIC, which she was attached to, with MGM, prior to even making MARY POPPINS. Her leading man kept changing over the years. More than her not doing MY FAIR LADY (I did see her singular performance, virtually, right before she left the London production), I regret that she did not do SHE LOVES ME. She agreed to do the original Broadway production, but they would have to wait for her, due to film commitments. Hal Prince did not want to wait, and later publicly regretted not waiting. Not because he didn't like Barbara Cook in the role, but because had he waited, the show would have been the hit he felt it should have been.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
She had to finish MP if that were the case. But to do She Loves Me she would have had to ask Robert Wise to delay The Sound of Music and would he have done that? MP hadn't even been released yet so nobody knew she was going to be a meteor.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
She had to finish MP if that were the case. But to do She Loves Me she would have had to ask Robert Wise to delay The Sound of Music and would he have done that? MP hadn't even been released yet so nobody knew she was going to be a meteor.
If I remember correctly, she had filmed Poppins, Emily, and The Sound of Music before any of them were released.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
That is true. But I wonder when Prince asked her. It would have been when he was casting the show. It was probably about the time she was about to make Poppins but before she had signed for anything else if she were considering doing it. So he could have done the show at the end of '63 or early in '64 if she kept her word which I believe she would have. Do you think he would have waited until after Music was finished in the latter part of '64? Andrews and Massey on stage together. Mind boggling to think about.

Ok so She Loves Me opened in April of '63. So I bet if Prince had waited it would have only been to towards the end of the year. But then no Emily or Music because that would have been the period when she would have been in the show. Prince refusing to wait freed her to make those films when she did.

Last edited:

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
“Prince refusing to wait freed her to make those films when she did.”
Thank the fates for that, as who could imagine them without Julie Andrews?

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
These conversations of what might have been with these people of extraordinary talent in such a golden age should not further distract us from discussing the cultural act of vandalism that was the film of Annie.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
This red-headed turkey cost almost $60 million Warbucks to produce in 1982 ($35 million for the movie alone without marketing and distribution). And it flopped. Hard. Really hard.

I remember reading about this in the newspaper (because every newsie on my street corner was barking “Read all about it!”) and my little 1982 brain just about exploded. How could a movie about Little Orphan Annie cost more than two Star Wars movies to make?! And then suck!

Last edited:

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
I prefer the SCTV version with Andrea Martin but ANNIE turned me off in the American Film interview with Burnett pouring booze into a tub. The photos were overacted.
I just saw a Nyquil ad from 1987 with John Houston as Narrator then saw this review and remembered the utterly fascinating autobiography of Jerry Zeismer ("Terminate with extreme prejudice"), the AD who also worked on the film and describes the chaos and cut scenes in greater detail. All sorts of behind the scenes gold from various films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks