What's new

Angel: Season 5 Observations (1 Viewer)

Matt Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
I just received Angel: Season 5 in the mail about two hours ago. I immediately popped disc 1 into the DVD player. For my fellow Whedonverse fans out there, here are my quick observations.

1. The menu design is slick. It's a series of images of Wolfram & Hart hallways with dark, foreboding music that finally features a single character standing in the hall as the main theme kicks in. Not unlike Firefly, actually.

2. Picture quality is sharp, if a little too much so. I noticed some light edge enhancement here and there, and my TV is only a 30" widescreen. So those with the big expensive set-ups might be annoyed. That said, judging from a single episode, it's the best the show has looked on DVD, and is miles ahead of Buffy's final season.

3. The set features a solid Dolby 2.0 track, that sounded a little more aggressive to me than previous seasons.

And finally, the Region 1 set has previouslies. After Conviction, I sped ahead to Just Rewards, and was completely stunned to hear David Boreanaz say "Previously on Angel..." I guess because of the near simultaneous U.S./U.K. release, there wasn't time to hack them off.

Anyway, back to the set. After Just Rewards, I'm going to head back to Conviction and listen to Whedon's commentary track.

Erik*N

Auditioning
I am so jealous! I can't wait for this DVD. What is the inside packaging like? Do you have a digital camara to tkae pictures? I hope there is a pictures of Cordelia, Harmony, and Illyria on the inside packaging. Have you watched any of the special features yet? Wow, am I asking a lot of questions or what? :b

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I cant think if anything worse than having a picture of Illryia on the front, spoiling what was one of the most surprising moments of the season. I managed to go into Season 5 completely cold, and her appearance and the consequences that resulted was one of the highlights of the season, if not the series.

Whilst Fox put together some great TV packages, they are awful at putting spoilers on the packaging or menus. Both Buffy and 24 suffer from this.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
SWEEET!!! Now they'll just have to redo the other seasons. :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I actually popped into this forum just in case someone posted a review somewhere.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Damn! As if it wasn't hard enough already to justify getting the R2 release over the R1, now even the "Previously on" intros are included. At this point, the only reason to still go with the R2 is because I love the book-style packaging and want it to match up on my shelf with the other 4 sets.

I guess I'll just hold off on getting and wait for the UK set to go down in price.

Matt Thompson

Stunt Coordinator

1) Spike with large cross
2) Angel and Spike fighting
3) Fred
4) Illyria
5) Random Demons
6) Lorne, Wes, and Gunn

Erik*N

Auditioning

I feel a Woo! and a Hoo! coming on. No Cordelia or Harmony? :frowning: I would have loved to see a picture from "You're Welcome" on it. I'm surprised there isn't a Wolfram & Hart flap with pics of Eve, Hamilton, and Harmony.

Erik*N

Auditioning
Just a reminder for everyone, Season 5 is released today! I will be picking my copy up later today.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I didn't really need the reminder, but thanks ;) I haven't decided if I'm going to squeeze in a trip during lunch or wait until after work.

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
I got mine in the mail today. It looks great. I'll probably look at the gag reel first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks