What's new

Anchor Bay comes and knocks on our door! THREE'S COMPANY IN 2004! (1 Viewer)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Tv shows on dvd makes it sound like we will get a best of, or something like that for 3s company this year. Click on the John Ritter article and judge for yourself.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Actually, it sounds more like a 1st/2nd season in 2003 type of thing to me without any extras that will be followed up with a commemorative edition with lots of extras in 2004. I hope it goes like this:

-seasons 1 & 2 released before 2004 without any special features
-NO special edition season 1 & 2 sets are released
-seasons 3+ are eventually released (beginning in 2004), each containing lots of extras

I don't want to double dip, which is why I hope it goes this way. Because if I see a bare bones set, I won't be able to pass it up and wait for the commemorative set. Instead, the extras can all be piled onto future box sets (and Anchor Bay would be wise to promise extras would be made available on future DVDs).

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Dane, in my opinion this is what i think will happen. Since Anchor Bay has said, that a barebones edition will come out quickly this year, i think the first season will be released on a 1 disc set barebones. Then early next year, season 2 will be released on a 5 disc set with many extras.This is just a guess on my part, i think we will get the barebones release sometime in November.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I made the decision personally to post that article, framing my own words around the Video Business text, so that I would feel comfortable with the results. I have chosen not to play up family ties to John Ritter, since I don't have the ability to prove it and don't want the increased attention in any case...this isn't the time for his immediate family to get distracted with stuff from distant family members they have never met.

The decision to post anything at all had to do with the curiosity that had already been evident about how the tragedy affects the already-announced DVD release. It makes sense to handle that quickly and settle the interest.

I expect that what Anchor Bay is indicating is that they will release a 1- or 2-disc release with the six episodes from S1 plus one or both pilots, and do so relatively cheaply. If they want to re-release that later in a special edition, then the cost factor to the consumers will be low enough that a double-dip won't be minded. If the feedback is that a double-dip isn't appreciated (and frankly, AB has done a LOT of double-dips), then they can always put the special stuff onto the S2 release.

That just begins to describe the options they have available to them. I'm hopeful that this will be handled very respectfully, but in a way that preserves his legacy and gives the fans what they deserve in the process.

Dane, I love your new sig. Thank you.

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
With the passing of John Ritter I hope that more older shows will now be released on DVD. Shows from the 50's, 60's and 70's should be released as soon as possible. The cast and crew from these shows are getting older every day and every year more and more will pass away, some unexpectidly like John Ritter. Get the cast and crew together as soon as possible to do the extras for the DVD. You never know when an actor or crew member may pass away. The actors from the older shows are now pushing into the 60+ and over age. Some may not make it to do the DVD extras.

Come on studios, release the old TV shows on DVD soon, with extras from the cast. Nobody knows who will be next to pass away.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
With the passing of John Ritter I hope that more older shows will now be released on DVD. Shows from the 50's, 60's and 70's should be released as soon as possible. The cast and crew from these shows are getting older every day and every year more and more will pass away, some unexpectidly like John Ritter. Get the cast and crew together as soon as possible to do the extras for the DVD. You never know when an actor or crew member may pass away.
I feel the same way. Gilligan's Island is coming soon, but we've already lost much of the cast involved with that show. Fortunately, there seems to be a ton of archival stuff with the cast on hand that should be available to Warner. Still, who wouldn't want to see commentaries on episodes with original cast members?

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
David,considering your loss you handled everything beautifully. Great writeup,if theres 2 things in common you resemble from John Ritter, its that youre modest, and have a great sense of humor. Did you watch the cnn interview friday night with Richard Klein, Suzanne Summers, Priscilla Barnes? Very touching.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I just found out about his death. I have always loved everything he has ever done especially Three's Company yet have never seen his new show.

RIP

:emoji_thumbsup:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Maybe if one good thing can come out of this death, it will be that extra care will be put into the eventual DVD releases. Maybe the cast will even come out of the woodwork to do new interviews, tributes and commentaries

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I may be in the minority , but if these sets do well enough, id like 3s a crowd as well. I enjoyed it almost as much as 3s company,not bad even for a short lived series.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Is there any chance they could slip John's appearance on the Dating Game on a set like this? Would it be welcome? I've seen clips from that appearance a couple of times and liked it. I know there would be rights issues, and people who only want Three's Company might not even want it on there. But, there's got to be some outlet for appearances like that.

I'll probably be seen as an inconsiderate jerk for asking this next question, but how should they handle the John Ritter "peek-a-boo" scene? You know what I mean, right? In interviews, Mr. Ritter said he thought they should sometimes show it edited and sometimes unedited because, quote, "Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't." :laugh: It should be left up to the family, of course, but if John was serious with that quote, I think it'd be funny if they did a random seamless branching that sometimes had it and sometimes didn't (if they can even do that). It might be seen as in poor taste, but the man was all about making people laugh, and that would do it. I don't think he'd want his passing to cast a pall over Three's Company, and I hope that never happens.

Also, I haven't seen Three's a Crowd since it aired, but I'd buy it. John made even the lamest Three's Company episodes fun, so I'm sure he did the same there.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
First, let me say:

John, I'll miss you. I loved Three's Company when I was a kid, and I loved you in the film Hero At Large. Recently I caught up with you in SLING BLADE. You were fabulous. I didn't catch your new series, because I haven't had cable in years. You were far too young to leave us. R.I.P.

Second, let me say:

As glad as I am that Three's Company is being released, I'm surprised that no one on this thread has mentioned a certain crackerjack British television comedy series by the name of Man About The House. Excellent show, which became, of course, Three's Company in the U.S. The spinoffs, George & Mildred (The Ropers) and Robin's Nest (Three's A Crowd), are also quite good. The episodes from the first seasons of Man About The House and George & Mildred have been released on DVD in the U.K. It would be great if they could be released over here. I first saw Man About The House when one of our local affiliate stations ran it during one summer when I was a kid. I thought it was even better than Three's Company. Richard O'Sullivan plays Robin Tripp, and he's fantastic. Check it out, if you are region-free and PAL-to-NTSC capable.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
It might be seen as in poor taste, but the man was all about making people laugh, and that would do it.
You make a great point, but I don't think they'll consider the point you just made. I think the meeting will basically go like this:

"Should we include the nut?"
"No."
"Well, now that that is settled, let's go ask Joyce and Suzanne to record some commentaries... together. And Richard Kline, too, since he's probably bored."

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Well, those commentaries would be the better choice there. :)

Just watched an episode of Three's a Crowd. Not bad at all. And, when you get to watching John playing Jack Tripper, it's impossible to believe he's gone. He played that character with such life and energy.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I loved Three's a Crowd, too...would sincerely enjoy buying it on DVD. The Dating Game performance would be a cute extra, if rights could be arranged.

I think the "peek a boo" scene should be left intact for posterity! Seriously.

I can't claim to have enjoyed all of John's projects. For instance, Skin Deep just doesn't do it for me...sorry. On the other hand, I've been dying to get Hero At Large on DVD since I bought the player four years ago! I don't even have it taped off TV or anything, so I REALLY miss that one!

He's been in so many excellent guest-starring roles on TV series that it would be impossible to collect them all. His best-known one recently is Ally McBeal, though, and I may have to go to Britain to get that one:

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
David, his guest appearance in the first season episode of M*A*S*H is excellent, too. Unfortunately, TV Land didn't have broadcast rights to get that into their tribute lineup on Sunday. However, those of us who have purchased the first season on DVD will always have that early guest spot to watch over and over as many times as we see fit. ;)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
So since there will be a dvd this year for 3s company , i hope that means the first dvd will have the episode where chrissys mother is visiting and jack has to hide. Hilarious episode. Was this in season 1 ?

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
It would also be nice if Anchor Bay could get the rights to include the E! True Hollywood Story about the behind the scenes highs and lows during the run of Three's Company. Excellent documentary about the show. I think it runs about 2 hours.

If not the 1st season set maybe a future set or as a stand-alone release by either E! or some other company who can get the rights.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
So since there will be a dvd this year for 3s company , i hope that means the first dvd will have the episode where chrissys mother is visiting and jack has to hide. Hilarious episode. Was this in season 1 ?
That would be the second episode of season 1. :D Those early episodes were some of the best TV ever. I was just watching the one where Jack had to entertain Roper's niece. Great, great episode. The timing of the beer can . . . priceless. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks