What's new

Unreleased to DVD Year to Year 1970-1985 (1 Viewer)

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Deleted SHOOT OUT. IMholding out for OUR GUYANJA. Just like I thought SURVIVE Wasn't on Dvd until VCI put out our movie

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The Naked Face (1984) will hopefully someday get a release as part of the MGM Limited Edition program. Interested in this film as (assuming it was filmed in 1983 or 1984) Sir Roger Moore shot this film inbetween Octopussy (1983) and A View to a Kill (1985).

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Don't get your hopes up; it's pretty lame. I do like the Chicago locations, though, which immediately predate the city's filmmaking boom in the mid- to late-80s.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Louis Letizia said:
So many of these are available in non-U.S. discs, some even on Blu-ray, that I really think you should mark those in some way or eliminate them entirely from your list. As you can well appreciate there is a huge difference between something truly not on DVD versus BUGSY MALONE, say, which is cheaply available on a region-free Blu-ray. Then again, all of this has been discussed and hashed out elsewhere
Theres no question. And as the proud owner of many offshore discs-I do not think its the norm. The heading should read not on dvd in u.s. I do see your point.
Someone needs to do a thread/list of - Not on DVD/BD in the US but available Overseas.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Incredibly hard to believe Conrak has not even been released on DVD. That's a crime. One of the BEST movies I've ever seen.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Conrack is Angelina Jolie's favorite movie of her fathers -as she has stated. Besides that plug-this movie stands up among the great teacher movies of all time.
An interesting subgenre-the teacher film-has garnered actors/actreses many Oscare noms and wins- Robert Donat for Goodbye Mr. Chips and the incomparable Maggie Smith for The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie come immediately to mind. But there are others -To Sir With Love , Up the Down Staircase-that were equally good-but not better than Conrack.
In a year when Art Carney won for Best Actor in Harry and Tonto against such monumental performances as Al Pacino in The Godfather Part ll, Jack Nicholson in Chinatown, Albert Finney in Murder on the Orient Express and Dustin Hoffman in Lenny- all iconic roles -its not too surprising Jon Voights great performance was left out of the race alongside Richard Dreyfuss (The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz , Gene Hackman (The Conversation, James Earl Jones(Claudine) and Martin Sheen (Badlands) to name only a few in what was possibly the year that held the best male performances ever.
It seemed a foregone conclusion that tv actor Carney was going to win that year as all FOUR of his competitors did not attend the Oscars that year.
Conrack has some beautiful cinematography that should be captured on Blu. Fox really should start paying more attention to their 60s/70s catalog. The Incident is another been neglected on dvd title i'd like to see.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Louis Letizia said:
Conrack is Angelina Jolie's favorite movie of her fathers -as she has stated.
I hope that CONRACK makes it to a disc format, but does anyone really give a hoot if it's Angelina's favorite Jon Voight movie? Even if I liked her (come to think of it, I can't stand her father anymore, either), I don't think this would be a really persuasive or exploitable item. If CONRACK comes out it's because it's a strong or, more likely, because it's part of a financially beneficial package of films for either the studio or a licensee.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Whether we are fond of Voights choices of late-we cannot dismiss his body of work in general. Even his bad performances are fun -Anaconda anyone? But, he is gettiung a bad rap while his contemporaries have all been in atrocious films of late- Al
Pacino in 88 Minutes , Jack and Jill. Robert DeNiro in New Years Eve. Dustin Hoffman in Mr. Magorium? All atrocious movies with ridiculous performances and somehow they come out unscathed. I thought Voight was pretty good in Pride and Glory recently.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Yeah, again, I was making no comment about Voight's work. My issue is with his public persona, his recent political convictions...basically, whenever he opens his mouth. I'm a big fan of Voight the actor: DELIVERANCE, MIDNIGHT COWBOY, THE REVOLUTIONARY, LOOKIN' TO GET OUT, DESERT BLOOM, COMING HOME, ODESSA FILE, etc.
Also, I'm just about the last person who would defend the recent films of Messieurs De Niro, Pacino, Hoffman, etc.
Louis Letizia said:
Whether we are fond of Voights choices of late-we cannot dismiss his body of work in general. Even his bad performances are fun -Anaconda anyone? But, he is gettiung a bad rap while his contemporaries have all been in atrocious films of late- Al
Pacino in 88 Minutes , Jack and Jill. Robert DeNiro in New Years Eve. Dustin Hoffman in Mr. Magorium? All atrocious movies with ridiculous performances and somehow they come out unscathed. I thought Voight was pretty good in Pride and Glory recently.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Looking again at the list of titles for 1970-85 in the starter post of this thread, I'd have a go at compiling a list of which of the titles are available overseas, but I'd need some help.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Beside each title or most titles is the UK DVD/Blu-ray release that I know of, unless stated that they've been released elsewhere in Europe:

1985/86:

Eleni (R4)
Doin' Time
Mr. Love
UFOria
James Joyce's Women
Wild Geese II - released by Optimum Releasing in 2009
Bad Medicine
Joshua : Then and Now
Macaroni
War and Love
Hot Chili
Thunder Alley
Ordeal By Innocence - released by Optimum Releasing in 2009
Pizza Connection
Hot Resort,
Crimewave - released by 2Entertain in 2005
My Man Adam
Little Treasure
Dream One (aka Nemo) - appears to have been released on DVD in Europe and could be OOP
Zoo Gang
A Certain Fury
Peanut Butter Solution
Grunt
Joey
Orion's Belt - appears to have been released on DVD in Norway and could be OOP
Stand Alone
Steaming - released by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment last year
Bliss - released by Boulevard Entertainment in 2010
Beethoven's Nephew - appears to have been released on Region 4 in Austrailia by Flashback Entertainment, but could be OOP
Among the Cinders
Out of Control
Breaking All the Rules - appears to have been released on DVD in Spain, but could be OOP
Delivery Boys - released by Boulevard Entertainment in 2005
I Like to Hurt People
Annihilators - released by Boulevard Entertainment in 2005
Godzilla '85
Fever Pitch
Martin's Day
Compromising Positions
Scream for Help
Warriors of the Wind
Movers and Shakers
Heavenly Bodies
Hellhole
Alamo Bay
Avenging Force - released by MGM/Twentieth Century Fox in 2005
The Bay Boy
Bedroom Eyes
Beyond the Walls
La Cage Aux Folles 3: The Wedding
Cease Fire
Dancing in the Dark
Dangerously Close
Death of a Soldier
Death of an Angel - released by Delta in 2002
8 Million Ways to Die - released by Second Sight last year
Every Time We Say Goodbye - appears to have been released on Region 2
Foreign Body
The Gig
Gobots
Hard Travelling
The Imagemaker
In The Shadow of Kilimanjaro
Key Exchange
The Mens Club
Miss Mary
Rad
Ratboy
Say Yes
Screen Test
3:15
Tough Guys - released by Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment in 2004.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Louis and Wavecrest, the start of a beautiful HTF friendship. :) Heading to Amazons European now...

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill /t/319995/unreleased-to-dvd-year-to-year-1970-1985/30#post_3929196
Louis and Wavecrest, the start of a beautiful HTF friendship. Heading to Amazons European now...

I'll look at the other years, but this is something I'll do in my spare time.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Beside each title or most titles is the UK DVD/Blu-ray release that I know of, unless stated that they've been released elsewhere in Europe:

1984:

Windy City
Cal - released on DVD in Spain in 2005, but appears to be OOP
Finders Keepers
Comfort and Joy - released on DVD in the UK by Cinema Club in 2004 but appears to be OOP
Wild Life
A Test of Love - released on DVD in Austrailia by Umbrella Entertainment
Gimme an F...
Secret Places
Kidco
Secret Diary of Sigmund Freud
Sylvia
Phar Lap - released on DVD in Austrailia by Roadshow Entertainment
First Born
The Bear
Scandalous
Exterminator 2
The Naked Face
Over the Brooklyn Bridge - possibly been released on DVD in Europe
Love Streams - possibly been released on DVD in Europe
Emmanuelle 4
The Last Winter
Where is Parsifal?
Growing Pains
Heart of the Stag
Covergirl
Courage
Nothing Lasts Forever
Edith and Marcel - released on DVD in Germany in 2005 but appears to be OOP
Erendira
Bedroom Eyes
Chatanooga Choo Choo
Grace Quigley - released on DVD in Spain, and on DVD in the UK in 2005 (never heard of the DVD label)
Gabriella
Ninja lll: The Domination
The Buddy System
Torchlight - released in the UK on DVD by Pegasus in 2002, but could be presented in fullscreen
Vamping
Electric Dreams - released in the UK on DVD by Second Sight in 2009
Antarctica
Circle of Power
Compleat Beatles
Danny Boy
The Jigsaw Man - released on DVD in the UK by Prism in 2002, but could be presented in fullscreen.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Olive has FIRST BORN coming soon. Would love to see COMFORT AND JOY get a quality release.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
8 MILLION WAYS TO DIE has been released in multiple countries. I have an Aussie release, which it turned out was 4x3 letterbox, so I re-bought the film via Second Sight, which is 16x9. There is at least one other release, an Eastern European country, I believe. Aussie has a much better cover (faithful to the original one-sheet artwork), however. :) Both of my discs are licensed from Fox, but there is a rights vacuum / mystery in the States. A friend tried to program a pristine 35mm print last year, which Sony held (Tri-Star released it theatrically in the U.S.; Columbia released it internationally). However, Sony claimed no theatrical rights. PSO, the production company is defunct; its head Mark Damon isn't sure who holds those rights here, either. Lionsgate has apparently licensed the film for television here, but they also claim no theatrical rights. So, something similar to the SORCERER fiasco, it seems. In other words, gobble up one of those foreign-issue DVDs of 8 MILLION WAYS--PAL be damned--because, it would seem, no domestic DVD or Blu-ray is coming soon. I would, however, love to eat those words. :)
WaveCrest said:
1985/86:
Eleni (R4)
Doin' Time
Mr. Love
UFOria
James Joyce's Women
Wild Geese II - released by Optimum Releasing in 2009
Bad Medicine
Joshua : Then and Now
Macaroni
War and Love
Hot Chili
Thunder Alley
Ordeal By Innocence - released by Optimum Releasing in 2009
Pizza Connection
Hot Resort,
Crimewave - released by 2Entertain in 2005
My Man Adam
Little Treasure
Dream One (aka Nemo) - appears to have been released on DVD in Europe and could be OOP
Zoo Gang
A Certain Fury
Peanut Butter Solution
Grunt
Joey
Orion's Belt - appears to have been released on DVD in Norway and could be OOP
Stand Alone
Steaming - released by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment last year
Bliss - released by Boulevard Entertainment in 2010
Beethoven's Nephew - appears to have been released on Region 4 in Austrailia by Flashback Entertainment, but could be OOP
Among the Cinders
Out of Control
Breaking All the Rules - appears to have been released on DVD in Spain, but could be OOP
Delivery Boys - released by Boulevard Entertainment in 2005
I Like to Hurt People
Annihilators - released by Boulevard Entertainment in 2005
Godzilla '85
Fever Pitch
Martin's Day
Compromising Positions
Scream for Help
Warriors of the Wind
Movers and Shakers
Heavenly Bodies
Hellhole
Alamo Bay
Avenging Force - released by MGM/Twentieth Century Fox in 2005
The Bay Boy
Bedroom Eyes
Beyond the Walls
La Cage Aux Folles 3: The Wedding
Cease Fire
Dancing in the Dark
Dangerously Close
Death of a Soldier
Death of an Angel - released by Delta in 2002
8 Million Ways to Die - released by Second Sight last year
Every Time We Say Goodbye - appears to have been released on Region 2
Foreign Body
The Gig
Gobots
Hard Travelling
The Imagemaker
In The Shadow of Kilimanjaro
Key Exchange
The Mens Club
Miss Mary
Rad
Ratboy
Say Yes
Screen Test
3:15
Tough Guys - released by Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment in 2004.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Jon Hertzberg said:
8 MILLION WAYS TO DIE has been released in multiple countries. I have an Aussie release, which it turned out was 4x3 letterbox, so I re-bought the film via Second Sight, which is 16x9. There is at least one other release, an Eastern European country, I believe. Aussie has a much better cover (faithful to the original one-sheet artwork), however. :) Both of my discs are licensed from Fox, but there is a rights vacuum / mystery in the States. A friend tried to program a pristine 35mm print last year, which Sony held (Tri-Star released it theatrically in the U.S.; Columbia released it internationally). However, Sony claimed no theatrical rights. PSO, the production company is defunct; its head Mark Damon isn't sure who holds those rights here, either. Lionsgate has apparently licensed the film for television here, but they also claim no theatrical rights. So, something similar to the SORCERER fiasco, it seems. In other words, gobble up one of those foreign-issue DVDs of 8 MILLION WAYS--PAL be damned--because, it would seem, no domestic DVD or Blu-ray is coming soon. I would, however, love to eat those words. :)
I think you may be right...this may never be released here. The other PSO releases....HEAVENLY BODIES and MISUNDERSTOOD were MGM theatricals but haven't reached MOD yet....unless they aren't controlled by MGM now.
SHORT CIRCUIT seems to be the one PSO produced film that has been in constant release. Is its Image release through Columbia?
Interesting and eclectic slate of films Damon produced. 8 MILLION WAYS TO DIE was a great modern nourish. That along with SECOND HAND HEARTS are the only 2 Ashby films not on DVD. But at least we can get 8 MILLION in some form...HEARTS after its disastrous 5 day run at the Coronet in 1981 never even appeared on cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks