What's new

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I'm kind of bummed that Kino Lorber didn't get this title first (or even Fox itself via their now-dead 'Studio Classics' BD series). Happy to see this out regardless.

My (above) comments were based on an initial reaction as I was reading along.
At this moment, I have just finished reading the entire thread.
The education here, for those just catching up, is that WE Cinephiles are just damned lucky to be at the place we are at right now.
Some of our desired titles will come from Criterion; and some from WAC; and some from Twilight Time.
Bless each and all for there collective contributions and making so-o-o-o-o-o many titles available.
The moment that one title is announced is the very moment our personal Rolodex of titles seems to generate another "Wish-List".
Of course we want more and more and more. Nonetheless, it took over a century to initially produce so many films; and now we expect each and all to become available within the time span of a few years.
It's give and take.
As for "Anastasia"? Well...that just happens to be the film that Twilight Time opted for; which, I imagine, meant that they took a title that someone else would not make available. Some prices will be higher; some will be lesser; and some in the middle. Let us always remember how lucky we are for those known and unknown who collaborated to make as many titles available as possible.
Support Twilight Time for making "Anastasia" available; as others, possibly, opted not to.
One day you shell out $30-40 bucks; another day, you get a steal somewhere else.
It all balances out in the end.
My greatest argument in favor of Criterion, Twilight Time, WAC, et al can only be answered by RAH or other experts. In the age before Home Video (VHS) what would be the asking price of one 35 or 70mm print of a single title? Once such a price is known; and placed in juxtaposition of owning a BD that fits handily in the palm-of-your-hand for under $40 bucks, one would have to take pause.
These past few years has been a nirvana for film buffs; and, oh my God, especially for those who cherish restoration.
We are in a renaissance period and few seem to recognize it. Step back - see - and celebrate. It's a glorious period for all who

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I'm kind of bummed that Kino Lorber didn't get this title first (or even Fox itself via their now-dead 'Studio Classics' BD series). Happy to see this out regardless.

Just read the entire thread. My (above) comments were based on an initial reaction as I was reading along.
The education here, for those just catching up, is that WE Cinephiles are just damned lucky to be at the place we are at, right now.
Some title will come from Criterion, some from WAC and some from Twilight Time.
Bless each and all for there collective contributions and making so-o-o-o-o-o many titles available.
The moment one title becomes available, our personal Rolodex of titles generates another "Wish-List".
Of course we want more and more and more. Nonetheless, it took over a century to produce so many films; and now we expect each and all to become available within the time span of a few years (or even within the second it pops into our heads).
It's give and take.
As for "Anastasia"? Well...that just happens to be the film that Twilight Time opted for; which, I imagine, meant that they took a title that someone else would not make available. Some prices will be higher; some lesser; and some in the middle. Let us always remember how lucky we are that all have collaborated to make as many titles available as possible.
Support Twilight Time for making "Anastasia" available; as others, possibly, opted not to.
One day you shell out $30-40 bucks; another day, you get a steal somewhere else. It all balances out in the end.
My greatest argument in favor of Criterion, Twilight Time, WAC, et al can only be answered by RAH or other experts. In the age before Home Video, what would had been the asking price of one 35 or 70mm print of a single title? Once such a price is known; and placed in juxtaposition of owning a film in a handy-light palm-of-your-hand BD for under $40 bucks, one would have to take pause.
These past few years has been a nirvana for film buffs; and, oh my God, especially for those who cherish restoration.
We are in a renaissance period and few seem to recognize it. Step back - see - and celebrate. It's a glorious period for all who love film.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I just saw "Anastasia" and no where - no how - did Ingrid Bergman come anywhere close to looking like Mickey Mouse, in the original version.:rolling-smiley:

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam

Me, too. And "Untamed", "Three Coins in the Fountain," "Boy on a Dolphin", "Peyton Place" and on and on. I WISH they were releasing "Daddy Long Legs". Kino Lorber won't be doing the isolated score, and for me, THAT is always worth the extra $10 I pay for a Twilight Time release.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I think that people would be very surprised if they could see how much or should I say how little revenue is generated from disc sales of classic titles that are not among the most popular titles out there.

Unfortunately we never get these numbers but I have heard more than one story of titles selling far below what was expected.

Last edited:

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Sorry to revive this but I've always been under the impression that "Anastasia" was amongst the most popular of the Fox classics selection. It was one of Fox's steady sellers for almost 10 years on DVD, and for countless years before that on VHS.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
What was popular in the DVD era has nothing to do with what sells on Blu-ray. It was a completely different world. In other news, Anastasia has arrived and I'm about to watch it.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
First off, it's just a wonderful movie - great script, great score, with beautiful costumes. You just have no actors today who could do this kind of film, period. Brynner, Bergman, Hayes - they're all amazing, and the character actors are brilliant (again, we don't really have character actors like this anymore). The transfer is really excellent, IMO.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to revive this but I've always been under the impression that "Anastasia" was amongst the most popular of the Fox classics selection. It was one of Fox's steady sellers for almost 10 years on DVD, and for countless years before that on VHS.

Do you have any data or sales numbers to back this up?
Actual sales numbers for Blu-rays seem almost impossible to come by so I wonder if that was different for DVDs.

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
When we met with TT in October they said most of their recent Blu-ray's sell only 1500 copies or less. They just love movies and are not making much money on the Blu-ray sales.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
First off, it's just a wonderful movie - great script, great score, with beautiful costumes. You just have no actors today who could do this kind of film, period. Brynner, Bergman, Hayes - they're all amazing, and the character actors are brilliant (again, we don't really have character actors like this anymore). The transfer is really excellent, IMO.

That's pretty much my opinion too.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
When we met with TT in October they said most of their recent Blu-ray's sell only 1500 copies or less. They just love movies and are not making much money on the Blu-ray sales.

It's great that TT loves movies, but it's depressing that more people aren't aware of vastly superior films than the majority of today's titles.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I guess since this is in 2.35:1, the 2.55:1 at imdb is wrong?
i also found here that it says it's the former.
http://www.redballoon.net/ws.txt

also it says:
CinemaScope's aspect ratio changed from 2.55:1 to 2.35:1 with the advent of the magoptical so
I have arbitrarily changed the aspect ratio in 1955, though the process was used in both form

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
And it looks so gorgeous again now! It was almost like seeing it for the first time. Thanks to all at Fox and TT who made the wonderful blu-ray a reality!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks