What's new

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
I love the TT release of Anastasia and it does look and sound better than it had in any other home video release. I was surprised to read a review which stated it should have been framed at 2:55 instead of the 2:35 it is presented in. I know the standard switched in 1956 and this was released late in the year so I would think the 2:35 was correct for this. Any thoughts from others?

WilliamHg

Stunt Coordinator
Roland hope the Broadway Musical does it justice...good to know there are some others who see the beauty in this and want to bring it back like that!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've always heard that Bus Stop was the movie that signaled the changeover from 2.55 to 2.35. It was released at the end of August of 1956, so Anastasia would seem to be right at 2.35.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I've always heard that Bus Stop was the movie that signaled the changeover from 2.55 to 2.35. It was released at the end of August of 1956, so Anastasia would seem to be right at 2.35.

There was a discussion awhile back (and I wish I could remember where it was) about that very question. I read the same book (or books) YOU did, Matt, and was always under that impression as well (that BUS STOP was the first Fox magoptical release print that reduced the CS ratio to 2.35:1) but Bob Furmanek had different information available. I have to see if I can find what thread it was in but maybe Mr. Furmanek, if he reads this, can come in and clarify. I want to say the changeover was more gradual and actually started EARLIER but damnit I can't say for certain without revisiting it. In any regard, I'm sure by late 1956 the standard release print would have been 2.35:1.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
It is a bit of a challenge to determine which aspect ratio is correct for films from this transition period. Basically, an expert has to examine the negative and determine which centerline the cinematographer was using. For example one Academy Award winning film that was released in 1957 and was always shown off-center in 2.35:1 prints was discovered to have been framed with the 2.55:1 centerline. The Blu-ray of this release shows it properly centered in a 2.55:1 aspect ratio

john a hunter

Screenwriter
It is a bit of a challenge to determine which aspect ratio is correct for films from this transition period. Basically, an expert has to examine the negative and determine which centerline the cinematographer was using. For example one Academy Award winning film that was released in 1957 and was always shown off-center in 2.35:1 prints was discovered to have been framed with the 2.55:1 centerline. The Blu-ray of this release shows it properly centered in a 2.55:1 aspect ratio
And would that be Bridge on the River Kwai, Mark?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks