classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I'm kind of bummed that Kino Lorber didn't get this title first (or even Fox itself via their now-dead 'Studio Classics' BD series). Happy to see this out regardless.

noel aguirre

Premium
Real Name
noel
I'm just sad that films like this, Lilies of the Field and Exodus aren't released to the general public. The modern day Joe Shmo thinks only that American Pie I-IV are classics.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Just like Noel has said, the TT discs are prohibitively expensive to many (especially when currency conversion is factored in), and I wish that they could be released on a wider platform.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
I'm just sad that films like this, Lilies of the Field and Exodus aren't released to the general public. The modern day Joe Shmo thinks only that American Pie I-IV are classics.
Aren't released to the general public? What are you talking about?

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I think he means via a wider avenue of retailers. If you asked a person on the street what Twilight Time was, I doubt they could tell you.

noel aguirre

Premium
Real Name
noel
Aren't released to the general public? What are you talking about?
You cant' go into any Best Buy and buy these nor order direct from Amazon - you have to know about Twilight Time and special order on-line at astronomical prices. And by the way what happened to you 5th anniversary sale? Many of us are waiting as it is the only way we can afford your "limited" editions.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I always wish I knew what people were talking about. :)

They are always under the mistaken impression that somehow there are more than 3,000 people who'd love to have Anastasia. I suspect they'll be lucky to sell half that number. And really, would it be THAT much cheaper through Kino Lorber? And my other really is to Noel Aguirre and his supposition that if Lillies of the Field and Exodus were released to the "general public" (as opposed to - the NON-general public?) that the "modern day Joe Shmo will suddenly think they're classics alongside American Pie 1-4 because something is seriously not computing with me. At this late date in the Twilight Time game, you'd think people would be tired of complaints they were making when the company began. They (and we board denizens) have heard 'em all. A lot. Over and over again. Twilight Time has, in fact, been a godsend to collectors of films, from day one.

noel aguirre

Premium
Real Name
noel
I always wish I knew what people were talking about. :)

They are always under the mistaken impression that somehow there are more than 3,000 people who'd love to have Anastasia. I suspect they'll be lucky to sell half that number. And really, would it be THAT much cheaper through Kino Lorber? And my other really is to Noel Aguirre and his supposition that if Lillies of the Field and Exodus were released to the "general public" (as opposed to - the NON-general public?) that the "modern day Joe Shmo will suddenly think they're classics alongside American Pie 1-4 because something is seriously not computing with me. At this late date in the Twilight Time game, you'd think people would be tired of complaints they were making when the company began. They (and we board denizens) have heard 'em all. A lot. Over and over again. Twilight Time has, in fact, been a godsend to collectors of films, from day one.
Ben Hur, Touch of Evil and countless other classics are available at any Barnes and Noble, etc if you walk into their stores. You know exactly what I'm talking about.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
You cant' go into any Best Buy and buy these nor order direct from Amazon - you have to know about Twilight Time and special order on-line at astronomical prices. And by the way what happened to you 5th anniversary sale? Many of us are waiting as it is the only way we can afford your "limited" editions.
Oh please.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
My point (initially) was that I'd wished Kino or Fox could have released "Anastasia", a title which sold very well on DVD for quite a few years. If "Inn of the Sixth Happiness" could have had a regular retail release, then why not this?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Nice attitude. :) You can't go into Best Buy and find Kino Lorber either. And you know what else (and I've used this argument a lot, but it STILL holds) - if it was twenty bucks people would complain it's not fifteen, if it was fifteen they'd say "Oooh, I'll wait it out until it's ten" and when it was ten they STILL wouldn't buy it. It is, well, I don't know what it is.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Ben Hur, Touch of Evil and countless other classics are available at any Barnes and Noble, etc if you walk into their stores. You know exactly what I'm talking about.
Do you have an internet connection, Noel? I think you do or you wouldn't be posting at this here site. The general public knows as much about Twilight Time as they do about any other boutique label -- and those that want the titles we release, well, they do something radical, like they go ahead and buy them!

noel aguirre

Premium
Real Name
noel
Nice attitude. :) You can't go into Best Buy and find Kino Lorber either. And you know what else (and I've used this argument a lot, but it STILL holds) - if it was twenty bucks people would complain it's not fifteen, if it was fifteen they'd say "Oooh, I'll wait it out until it's ten" and when it was ten they STILL wouldn't buy it. It is, well, I don't know what it is.
Don't be belligerent. You can buy Kino Lorber on Amazon.And discounted at that!

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
My point (initially) was that I'd wished Kino or Fox could have released "Anastasia", a title which sold very well on DVD for quite a few years. If "Inn of the Sixth Happiness" could have had a regular retail release, then why not this?
I'll tell you why - because maybe Anastasia on DVD was in a different time and a different market. Check. Maybe (and I don't think there's much maybe about it) Inn of the Sixth Happiness didn't sell well - in fact, maybe NONE of the titles Fox put on Blu-ray were worth it for them - none justified the cost of them putting it out and maybe, just maybe, that's why Fox has released how many Blu-rays in the past twelve months? You do the math and it's really simple math.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Don't be belligerent. You can buy Kino Lorber on Amazon.And discounted at that!
I don't think it was me who was being belligerent - I just read my posts really carefully to see if there was even a hintarooni of belligerence and I came up empty, which makes me belligerent, frankly. :) No, just responding to your posts, Noel - that's what happens on a message board. If you post, folks can respond.

Reactions: Jimbo64

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
And yet other labels are racing ahead with their classic output. Again, I say (and it's a hopeless wish now) that I'd have preferred "Anastasia" to be via Kino and then watch the sales figures rise. It's too good a movie to be limited to 3,000 copies. If that offends anybody I am deeply sorry.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
I'll tell you why - because maybe Anastasia on DVD was in a different time and a different market. Check. Maybe (and I don't think there's much maybe about it) Inn of the Sixth Happiness didn't sell well - in fact, maybe NONE of the titles Fox put on Blu-ray were worth it for them - none justified the cost of them putting it out and maybe, just maybe, that's why Fox has released how many Blu-rays in the past twelve months? You do the math and it's really simple math.
It seems very difficult for some folk to understand that if Fox, or any other studio were making money from catalogue blu-rays, then they would be releasing them and not licensing the titles to third parties - but we know what this is really all about - it's the "we'll only buy if it's five dollars brigade" - and to paraphrase The Wild Bunch - "those days are closing fast."

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
l3randon39