haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Ben Hur, Touch of Evil and countless other classics are available at any Barnes and Noble, etc if you walk into their stores. You know exactly what I'm talking about.
Yes, you can occasionally find one copy of a classic at Barnes and Noble - better do that quickly, though, because Barnes and Noble is not long for this world. So, they have their one copy of Ben-Hur. They've had it for a while if you're still finding it, and when they have no use for it they'll return it to Warners for a full credit. And last I looked I didn't see one Kino Lorber or Olive title at a Barnes and Noble. And Anastasia is not Ben-Hur or Touch of Evil for that matter although I suspect sales of the latter were merely okay.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
And yet other labels are racing ahead with their classic output. Again, I say (and it's a hopeless wish now) that I'd have preferred "Anastasia" to be via Kino and then watch the sales figures rise. It's too good a movie to be limited to 3,000 copies. If that offends anybody I am deeply sorry.
You can wish for it to be released by whoever you like - but whichever of those companies you pray it would be, the 3,000 unit threshold is not going to be crossed. So, if those said labels release them at a very cheap price, that company loses money, and what you are in essence hoping for, and your wish will be granted, is the demise of classic titles on blu-ray.

Reactions: Jimbo64

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
It seems very difficult for some folk to understand that if Fox, or any other studio were making money from catalogue blu-rays, then they would be releasing them and not licensing the titles to third parties - but we know what this really all about - it's the "we'll only buy if it's five dollars brigade" - and to paraphrase The Wild Bunch - "those days are closing fast."
I will be happy to fork out for any movie I desire (and believe me, even with the tumbling exchange rate, I still spend quite happily), but seeing a title like "Anastasia", with it's pedigree and Oscar win, to be limited to only 3,000 copies doesn't seem right.

noel aguirre

Premium
Real Name
noel
Ben Hur, Touch of Evil and countless other classics are available at any Barnes and Noble, etc if you walk into their stores. You know exactly what I'm talking about.
Yes, you can occasionally find one copy of a classic at Barnes and Noble - better do that quickly, though, because Barnes and Noble is not long for this world. So, they have their one copy of Ben-Hur. They've had it for a while if you're still finding it, and when they have no use for it they'll return it to Warners for a full credit. And last I looked I didn't see one Kino Lorber or Olive title at a Barnes and Noble. And Anastasia is not Ben-Hur or Touch of Evil for that matter although I suspect sales of the latter were merely okay.
I suppose you've never heard of Amazon either and only buy retail. Good for you.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Agree plus Amazon would discount it. And it wouldn't wind up on EBay for $125. Just sayin.
You can "just say" whatever you want - but you'll still be wrong. No chance that Anastasia ever sells 3,000 copies - so no chance of it ever being on eBay at that high price. And if Kino, or any other any label, released it at a $4.99 price point - it still wouldn't sell 3,000 copies - but the company that did that would be out of business in a hurry.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
It doesn't seem right because you think it doesn't seem right. Any company who actually puts these titles out as a BUSINESS (you know, operating from a logical business standpoint) know that 3,000 of a title like Anastasia will, most likely, sell half the run and maybe, just maybe, if their lucky over the next three years, they might sell all 3,000 although I would seriously doubt it. You seem to have this crazy belief that because a film from, what, almost sixty years ago won on Oscar that that means there are - 5,000 people who'll be clamoring for it? Because if there were, Fox would be putting these out themselves although even at 5,000 it wouldn't be worth it for them. As Twilight Time very simply puts it - if these things had the kind of life you think they have they'd be doing it themselves (the studios). You know, Twilight Time put out Born Free and Oliver, both huge Oscar-winning hits. Sony didn't put them out. Why? And that's a very long list we could go down - The Way We Were? Bye Bye Birdie? And about a hundred others.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I purchased TWO copies of TT's "Lost Horizon" (just to make sure that, down the track, I had a backup in case something went wrong), plus "Love is a Many Splendored Thing" and a handful of others. I just need to be careful these days. I will eventually get "Anastasia" too.

But some customers DO live outside the US who love these films, and whilst I wouldn't sneeze at $29.95, a reasonable price in the regular Blu-ray world, once you factor in the exchange rate and shipping it all comes to significantly more than that.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
It doesn't seem right because you think it doesn't seem right. Any company who actually puts these titles out as a BUSINESS (you know, operating from a logical business standpoint) know that 3,000 of a title like Anastasia will, most likely, sell half the run and maybe, just maybe, if their lucky over the next three years, they might sell all 3,000 although I would seriously doubt it. You seem to have this crazy belief that because a film from, what, almost sixty years ago won on Oscar that that means there are - 5,000 people who'll be clamoring for it? Because if there were, Fox would be putting these out themselves although even at 5,000 it wouldn't be worth it for them. As Twilight Time very simply puts it - if these things had the kind of life you think they have they'd be doing it themselves (the studios). You know, Twilight Time put out Born Free and Oliver, both huge Oscar-winning hits. Sony didn't put them out. Why? And that's a very long list we could go down - The Way We Were? Bye Bye Birdie? And about a hundred others.
A few of the titles you've mentioned were released in other countries and have proved quite popular.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I buy movies from Twilight Time. I buy movies from other labels. I pay full price. I buy at discounts. My collection is a mix of things I had to have at any price, and things that were only worth it to me at a certain price.

I wish this wouldn't turn into an argument each time. I respect that there are members on this forum who can and are willing to pay non-discounted prices for movies. I respect that there are members on this forum who cannot afford to do so regularly. And I respect the commonly heard refrain that some members wish that these titles, and Blu-ray in general, were more popular with the general public. Isn't that last point something we all wish for, that there were more people who shared our hobby so that more releases would be more financially feasible for the companies releasing them?

Reactions: Jimbo64 and RMajidi

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
A few of the titles you've mentioned were released in other countries and have proved quite popular.
We can keep going around in circles but - how do you know how popular they were? You don't. For all you know if The Way We Were came out in Guam they might have sold six copies. You just don't know. Twilight Time has a business model that is working for them. Kind of the end of the story.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Indeed. I mostly pay full price for my movie purchases (a lot of times over and above, especially when the $$ wasn't so hot). I don't have a problem with that. I just wish these movies weren't so elusive in the wider market.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
I purchased TWO copies of TT's "Lost Horizon" (just to make sure that, down the track, I had a backup in case something went wrong), plus "Love is a Many Splendored Thing" and a handful of others. I just need to be careful these days. I will eventually get "Anastasia" too.

But some customers DO live outside the US who love these films, and whilst I wouldn't sneeze at $29.95, a reasonable price in the regular Blu-ray world, once you factor in the exchange rate and shipping it all comes to significantly more than that.
We do understand that the exchange rate and shipping is a factor if you live overseas, and right now the currency conversion hurts everybody - it hurts us, because our sales are down, it hurts you because the costs are up. We have to ride that wave. No choice for either of us. Our model is predicated on being available online only, and in a unit run of 3,000 copies - save for a few titles, the 3,000 number is spot on. Interestingly, the titles you mention, Lost Horizon, and Love is A Many-Splendored Thing, are both still widely available despite their having been on the market for years - bearing out our point - there are no large numbers of people clamoring for these titles - and companies like us are losing money providing them to members of the public like you - yet we still continue to do so - should we just stop?

noel aguirre

Premium
Real Name
noel
I doubt many Criterion titles sell over 3,000 copies and cost more yet you can easily buy them at any Barnes & Noble Amazon AND they get discounted 2x yearly @50% off. And I'm not limited to buy them at Criterion.com

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I'm not saying stop. I'm just dismayed that such wonderful films are on a decreased level of availability. It saddens me deeply that "Anastasia", a film which has captured my imagination for so long, will be on Blu-ray but only the 'faithful few' will ever know it.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
I'm not saying stop. I'm just dismayed that such wonderful films are on a decreased level of availability. It saddens me deeply that "Anastasia", a film which has captured my imagination for so long, will be on Blu-ray but only the 'faithful few' will ever know it.
The "faithful few" is all there are - and when you grasp that fact, you'll have a better understanding of how the business right now is currently operating.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
We can keep going around in circles but - how do you know how popular they were? You don't. For all you know if The Way We Were came out in Guam they might have sold six copies. You just don't know. Twilight Time has a business model that is working for them. Kind of the end of the story.
Well, I know for quite certain how popular the Australian Sony BD release of "Oliver!" was because I had to go on a wait-list. The store I ordered it from couldn't get in enough copies to fill the demand.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Mr Hainsehisway should name one Kino Lorber American Classic title on caliber with Anastasia, Lilies of the Field, etc, etc, etc
Why? The argument was that it's so easy to walk into a Barnes and Noble and find all these great movies on Blu-ray. You named two. I said I've never seen a Kino or Olive title in ANY store. I'm not sure what it is you're not comprehending about that.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightRacerKL