What's new

Anamorphic Super Mario Brothers? (1 Viewer)

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I don't think they'll cut the scene out in fact I KNOW they won't cut it out, they never do on older films. I'm pretty sure this will be widescreen though as the LD is. If they would just release the cover we could find out for sure.

Come on Buena Vista give us some info!

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
One of the principles of the "Movie Showcase" line is to not release information on specs...EVER. They might post an aspect ratio on their website, and that might or might not be correct. But for 16x9-enhancement, you'll have to check DVD Empire 5 days or so before release to see the back cover scan. And even THAT could be wrong...
The one BV title in their crap line that I'm interested in for next month - Life with Mikey - has 1.85:1 Aspect Ratio listed on Video.com. So, that's good. Though it very well could be non-anamorphic. :rolleyes

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
It will more than likely be widescreen...cause kids dont even remember what Super Mario Bros. is...poor kids.... :frowning:

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I'm hoping against hope for this but it's 3 weeks from release date and does anyone know any news on the widescreen front?

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Plus there are lost of new games sonstantly like Mario Sunshine and Mario Party 5 or whatever they're up to.

I seem to remember thiws movie being crap. I even thought so when I was a kid, yet I feel compelled to purchase it. Please help.

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
Cool, as long as it's widescreen I'm not complaining. Wonder if 3 Ninjas will be as well...

BenjaminG

Stunt Coordinator
Yay!!!

DVD Empire have confirmed the specs, but no extras as yet.

Features:

Features Not Specified

Video:

Widescreen 1.85:1 Color

Audio:

ENGLISH: Dolby Digital Surround [CC]

Its anamorphic widescreen!!!!

Yay!

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
I got this locally a few days ago. It is widescreen but not anamorphic sadly. Looks like the regular laserdisc tranfers Disney is used to putting out lately. This store also had 3 Ninjas out and is one of the major chains that is known for their blue shirt employees. Might wanna check your local ones just in case you wanna pick these up. Make sure to look in all areas, I found these in the "el cheapo" DVD section next to the VHS.

L8rz,

Deepak Jr.

BenjaminG

Stunt Coordinator
Is there any extras, DeepakJR?

Bummer about non-anamorphic, but at least I can see it for the first time in widescreen!

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
Yep, according to Disney's main site, 3 Ninjas is widescreen as well! I gues it's no big deal about non-anamorphic but at least it's widescreen.
If anybody gets both before street date check back and tell us how they are. I'm going to "big name store" this weekend since I found Good Burger last week before street date.
And looks like someone on the previous page already found it there;)

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I knew it was too good to be true. Disney lied or put the wrong info on their site-whatever, 3 Ninjas is NOT widescreen. Further proof that for these titles they just transfer the LD since it was fullscreen as well (probably why Super Mario Bros. is not anamorphic since they just rehashed a transfer). Well, that's 10 bucks saved on 3 Ninjas:angry: .
At least they didn't screw up Super Mario Bros.

Steven Applebaum

Auditioning
I realize that this topic is very old, but I feel like I have relevent news that merits revival.

First of all, it really is a shame that Disney copped out on a decent release of the film back in 2003. They claimed that it was both widescreen and anamorphic when it later became clear that neither was true. While I can understand the lack of bonus features I have to point out that at least the foreign releases, including Germany and Sweden, took the time to include the trailer, EPK documentary and Roxette music video. It wouldn't have required much effort to do the same for us American fans.

All that being said, I am proud to announce that I am working with a cult film distribution company on a high definition, widescreen Blu-Ray release complete with new interviews with the cast and crew. Official details are forthcoming, but I will say that this release will come out later this year.

Trust the Fungus, fans. It's finally happening.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Steven, you just made my day! That's great news for fans of this quirky film. I know I'm not the only one. It's not a masterpiece, but it's bizarre, unique, and strangely charming. I can't wait!

Steven Applebaum

Auditioning
Thanks for commenting, cafink! I probably won't be posting in here very often unless I get an E-mail notification, so if you're interested in keeping up with news on the upcoming Blu-Ray release then you should either Like our page on Facebook HERE or follow the devoted thread on the Blu-Ray forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks