What's new

American Horror Story: Coven (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
JohnMor said:
I agree: best ep of the season to date. Can't wait for next week, although it appears they may be a dearth of adults. And I'm curious if my feeling about a certain character being a master manipulator behind the scenes will prove true or not. As usual I have no clue what they'll do in the finale, and I love that.

Also, I didn't notice that incredible scene between Jessica Lange and Danny Huston was done in one continuous shot until I replayed it. Great writing, great acting, great directing there.
re watched it over and over, you are right, great single shot continuous, actually a lot in that ep was just one of the best hours on TV, with cinematic appeal, someone trying to channel Wells?
CJProfit said:
Madison getting beat down had to be one of the most satisfying moments of the series as a whole. I was a bit shocked at how they went ahead with the supposed 'end' of a main character, I still don't buy she's actually gone. And jesus, that stabbing scene at the end just wouldn't end now would it?
I especially loved the screaming no one messes with their Coven,
JohnMor said:
I completely agree about seeing Madison getting beat down. To quote Queenie, it was awesome!I am so anxious to see which way they go next week. I sense a couple of major twists, but who knows? As usual, Jessica has just thrilled me no end this season.
AWSOME!

now on to new, questions, she is/was the supreme, how could she have not protected herself as the ax fell, this week is going to kick ass.

CJProfit

Auditioning
Real Name
Felipe
It doesn't make sense to me considering they already said before the only way to kill her was for her to kill herself, or did I understand that wrong? Oh well, i'm still thinking it was far too easy of an ending for Lange's character. Shes going to be back next week one way or another, calling it. I have no clue who the Supreme is going to end up being though. Just hope its a better finale than last years.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I think you may have misunderstood that. There was a ritual that can call forth the new Supreme when the old one sacrifices herself. But they never said that was the only way to kill a Supreme. But I do agree that Fiona will most likely be back. Something about that feels unfinished to me. I think we have a twist or two in store for us Wednesday.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Kevin Hewell said:
How did Kathy Bates' character suddenly become mortal?
Her immortality was
linked to Marie Laveau's. Once Papa Legba cancelled Marie's immortality,Delphine became mortal again.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I loved the scenes with the ladies going through the Seven Wonders. They made all the right choices in who lived (I figured Queenie was a goner so I was glad to see she made it) and who died (Madison was the girl I loved to hate). The audacity to basically start the episode with a music video made me laugh.

And the last scene between Paulson and Lange was great. Given how talented they both are, I guess it's not much of a surprise that were able to bring it.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
welcome to MTV, loved the cold start video,

now on to the show, good, happy wrap up for the season, if you can call a ep where 3 people die, and 2 of them are stuck in there own personal hell for years to come, as being happy .

after last weeks ep, that was going to be hard to top, I see what they did, take the other route. and for all the praise the we have been giving Lang, Bates, Basset, and Paulson, let me just say Francis Conroy has more damn fun, not fitting the mold, loved the red dress to her second burning.

the limited scene with Danny and Jessica, has so much in it, he is in his heaven and well... her not so much

I liked it.

the public interview, was a different approach that I did not see coming, compared to the beginning of the season, you would have thought, as they were saying, that they were dying out. well looks like that has changed.

and now the wait till next year begins all over again, tried to figure what they were going for next season, but did not get any hidden clues, but it has always been very female centric, if they do the Red Scare thing think we could see a lot of returns from male cast members.

so Helix, is going to have to fill a gap for a while

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I was also surprised about the "outing" of the Coven at the end. Didn't see them going that way.

A nagging thought I've had since last night:

Why would a serial killing ax murderer get heaven in the afterlife? Disappointed in that. Also, I found Fiona's hell a little lame all things considered.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
JohnMor said:
I was also surprised about the "outing" of the Coven at the end. Didn't see them going that way.

A nagging thought I've had since last night:

Why would a serial killing ax murderer get heaven in the afterlife? Disappointed in that. Also, I found Fiona's hell a little lame all things considered.
maybe we are only seeing part of it , he did say everyday she is bitchy, and that was a straight up slap, maybe not heaven.

on to the outing of the Coven, the part that got me was when the group came in, and looked directly and ask what is a supreme. leave the question open for a power grab???

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Dana, re: the Axeman, true, but
he still didn't seem too unhappy. He almost seemed happy to knock her around. I just figured a serial killer deserved worse. More along Delphine's hell. LOL.

RE: the power grab, most likely. History, sadly, often repeats itself.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
For me this season was eh. Lange was awesome as usual, Kathy Bates was great, and Angela Basset was good, but it didn't have the creepiness factor of the previous 2 seasons. The set pieces were great though. With the mostly younger cast it seemed like one of those tween vampire shows that are on now.

The MTV video opeing was hokey but Stevie Nicks is still awesome. If you listen to the song, it's almost like they created the whole storyline from the lyrics.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
MarkMel, I completely agree about this season. It had its moments, but overall... eh. Had the writing been tighter and the focus more on Lange, Bates and Bassett and less on the girls, I think it would have been better.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I must be in a minority but this was easily my favorite year of the show. I understand the criticism about it not being as scary as previous years. In that same vein though, I thought the first two seasons had a tendency to just try too hard for shock & gore and this season seemed to go for slightly more comedic touches instead. That coupled with the usual great cast and direction made this my favorite year.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
That's interesting, because I found this by far to be the goriest season. I don't remember anything in the first two seasons that came even close to the violence and gore this year.

It's not that I didn't enjoy it, but I didn't love it. And so many plots/characters that never panned out or went anywhere: the Bible thumping neighbors, Kyle, Spaulding. I truly think they wasted Lupone, Peters and O'Hare. Of the "guest" stars, I think only Danny Huston and Mare Winngham were given anything to work with.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I didn't say it wasn't the goriest, I said it wasn't the creepiest. I watch the Saw movies, those are gory, but not creepy/scary like the Excorsist or Rosmary's Baby.

The first two seasons were far creepier/scary. For me there's a big difference between gory and scary.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
MarkMel said:
I didn't say it wasn't the goriest, I said it wasn't the creepiest. I watch the Saw movies, those are gory, but not creepy/scary like the Excorsist or Rosmary's Baby.

The first two seasons were far creepier/scary. For me there's a big difference between gory and scary.
?? Who are you responding to here? I was responding to Travis saying he thought the first 2 seasons focused more on gore than this one did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks