What's new

Amazon Finally Pissed Me Off! (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
This week’s Amazon disaster. Poor packaging ended up destroying my Superman III 4K UHD import. I already have this on Blu-ray and the 4K disc looks fine on the surface, so I might just swap the 4K to a new case, ditch the Region B Blu-ray, and put my Region A Blu-ray in the new case. Even though the cover spine is torn from where the package was crushed, I think I can manage to move it over. I’m going to try watching the 4K one day this week and make sure it plays ok since there doesn’t appear to be any physical damage. It came from Amazon Global UK and is now out of stock so returning it for a replacement is probably not a viable option.

IMG_7216.jpeg IMG_7217.jpeg IMG_7218.jpeg IMG_7219.jpeg

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I don't know what is going on with Amazon.ca. We are prime members, and yet every Blu ray I order always comes well after the release date. I had to wait an extra month for Picard season 3, and although I ordered with plenty of time to spare, instead of arriving last Tuesday I got an e-mail stating that they will contact me when they have a date. What gives?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I don't know what is going on with Amazon.ca. We are prime members, and yet every Blu ray I order always comes well after the release date. I had to wait an extra month for Picard season 3, and although I ordered with plenty of time to spare, instead of arriving last Tuesday I got an e-mail stating that they will contact me when they have a date. What gives?
Disc replication plants are stretched beyond capacity this time of year, so studios have a hard time fulfilling orders with retailers. This happens every year.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
So, I placed an order for a Blu-ray from Amazon on 10/22 and selected FREE Prime Shipping. The item was not in stock, and it took three weeks for it to finally be shipped out on 11/14. Except Amazon shipped it USPS Media Mail from Ohio, which takes 5-7 days to be delivered to me. The explanation I continue to receive from Amazon is "the reason for the delay is that the item was not in stock" despite me explaining to them that I understand that as the reason it took three weeks to get the item shipped FROM Amazon, but does NOT explain WHY Amazon chose the slowest possible shipping method once the item was ready to be shipped.

So much for 2-day delivery...

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
So, I placed an order for a Blu-ray from Amazon on 10/22 and selected FREE Prime Shipping. The item was not in stock, and it took three weeks for it to finally be shipped out on 11/14. Except Amazon shipped it USPS Media Mail from Ohio, which takes 5-7 days to be delivered to me. The explanation I continue to receive from Amazon is "the reason for the delay is that the item was not in stock" despite me explaining to them that I understand that as the reason it took three weeks to get the item shipped FROM Amazon, but does NOT explain WHY Amazon chose the slowest possible shipping method once the item was ready to be shipped.

So much for 2-day delivery...
One would think Amazon would have at least kept the 2-day Prime delivery in place after the three week "Item not in stock" issue? Really shoddy service! :(

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
One would think Amazon would have at least kept the 2-day Prime delivery in place after the three week "Item not in stock" issue? Really shoddy service! :(
This has happened to me before with a Blu-ray order. When the order finally arrived, it was very obvious that Amazon had drop-shipped from the studio's fulfillment center, and it was the fulfilment center that shipped USPS standard shipping because Amazon didn't want to pay for an expedited shipping service.

There was even a packing slip included that was NOT Amazon. And yes, I did order "Shipped and Sold by Amazon."

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
*Every* time I go to the Amazon "home page" and see those stupidly large ads for the football game they're providing "free" for Prime members it angers me! I do not watch sports of any type and knowing that my Prime fee was jacked up significantly, partially to pay for this crap, makes it even worse. Let the people who *like* sports pay for it themselves rather than force us non-sports watching folks to subsidize the activity.

Scott Holt

Agent
I dropped Amazon Prime about 18 months ago. I will say I do live in a semi-remote area, but before Covid, I would order and get my stuff within 2 days, hence 2-day shipping. I would even sometimes be able to get 1 day if I paid extra. Then Covid hit, and it was now taking at least 8 to 10 days to get anything. Problem understood. Not a good thing for sure.

Covid is here to stay, but it is not running the world anymore. So, after the world got somewhat settled in late 2021, people were getting their stuff a lot faster. I would still get my stuff in 7 or more days. 2022 and later 6-7 days. I know people in larger areas that would get it the same day.

I called them on this and they said you are getting 2 day shipping. What? It takes a week or more to get it. They said that it means from the time it is shipped that it is 2 day. So, for me, it wasn't worth it anymore. I can order from Walmart and get it in 1 or 2 days. B&H, 2 days, and many other places 2 days, or 3 at most. But no, I'm paying for Prime to get it in 7 days. NOT. I told them I was canceling and did. My friend still has Prime, and his stuff still takes a week to get.

Why has their shipping deteriorated so badly? Can anyone explain this?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Pretty much my situation exactly. All Amazon orders now take at least 7-10 days. The actual shipping may be 2 days, but it takes them nearly a week to process the order and send it out.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I dropped Amazon Prime about 18 months ago. I will say I do live in a semi-remote area, but before Covid, I would order and get my stuff within 2 days, hence 2-day shipping. I would even sometimes be able to get 1 day if I paid extra. Then Covid hit, and it was now taking at least 8 to 10 days to get anything. Problem understood. Not a good thing for sure.

Covid is here to stay, but it is not running the world anymore. So, after the world got somewhat settled in late 2021, people were getting their stuff a lot faster. I would still get my stuff in 7 or more days. 2022 and later 6-7 days. I know people in larger areas that would get it the same day.

I called them on this and they said you are getting 2 day shipping. What? It takes a week or more to get it. They said that it means from the time it is shipped that it is 2 day. So, for me, it wasn't worth it anymore. I can order from Walmart and get it in 1 or 2 days. B&H, 2 days, and many other places 2 days, or 3 at most. But no, I'm paying for Prime to get it in 7 days. NOT. I told them I was canceling and did. My friend still has Prime, and his stuff still takes a week to get.

Pretty much my situation exactly. All Amazon orders now take at least 7-10 days. The actual shipping may be 2 days, but it takes them nearly a week to process the order and send it out.
Yeah, I live in a rural area, about 2.5 hours from the city with lots of undeveloped land in between. I can’t understand why it takes Amazon longer to pick and prepare my orders than it does for the two communities that are halfway points. They can get their orders delivered in 3-5 days, yet I often have to wait a week or more.

And I don’t think Prime even means 2-day shipping anymore, as I have been seeing many of my orders ship UPS Ground from the East Coast when I live in Nevada. I think it just means free shipping with no minimum order.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

What I've read about this is that it's all about the warehouse "local" to you and just what's stocked in that facility. If you order an item that's *not* in a warehouse close to your address they ship it from one that *does* have the item *to the warehouse close to you* rather than just ship directly to you from whichever warehouse has it in stock. That means your item may wait on a loading dock for several days until they get enough stuff going to "your" warehouse to warrant a shipment. It costs *them* less doing things this way. They changed the language of the "2 day shipping" to reflect that it means "from the time it's shipped to you" and totally discounts any warehouse-to-warehouse delay. Those delays are the "processing" time. IIRC it also used to be called "2 Day Delivery" - notice the wording change from "delivery" to "shipping" - which most people simply called "2 Day Shipping" as that's what it was.

I can still get "Next day delivery" and "2 day delivery" on many items as they have a *huge* warehouse ~70 miles from my house. And there are still many items for which I'll wait for a week before it even ships in spite of it showing "in stock" when the order was placed. I'm rarely in a hurry so typically select "Amazon Day" delivery (which is also falsely named and implemented), hoping it'll all come at once (never does and never all in the same box) as much as anything to get the increasingly rare "digital credit" for using "slow shipping."

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
What I've read about this is that it's all about the warehouse "local" to you and just what's stocked in that facility. If you order an item that's *not* in a warehouse close to your address they ship it from one that *does* have the item *to the warehouse close to you* rather than just ship directly to you from whichever warehouse has it in stock. That means your item may wait on a loading dock for several days until they get enough stuff going to "your" warehouse to warrant a shipment. It costs *them* less doing things this way. They changed the language of the "2 day shipping" to reflect that it means "from the time it's shipped to you" and totally discounts any warehouse-to-warehouse delay. Those delays are the "processing" time. IIRC it also used to be called "2 Day Delivery" - notice the wording change from "delivery" to "shipping" - which most people simply called "2 Day Shipping" as that's what it was.
If that were true, then all of my orders would ship out of Reno. Instead, the majority ship out of Ontario or Sacramento in California, which is 1-2 days delivery time for UPS Ground. The point I was making is that why, if I lived 60 miles closer to Reno, the order would ship out of the same Ontario warehouse 3-5 days sooner than an order for the same item shipping to me.

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
Maybe if enough people started canceling their Prime memberships, Amazon would look into why that’s happening, and learn that people are canceling in droves because they are dissatisfied with the reduction in quality of customer service and continual problems with package delivery. Then, they might actually do something about it. It’s worth a shot.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Maybe if enough people started canceling their Prime memberships, Amazon would look into why that’s happening, and learn that people are canceling in droves because they are dissatisfied with the reduction in quality of customer service and continual problems with package delivery. Then, they might actually do something about it. It’s worth a shot.
That would have to be an awful lot of people, we are talking at least hundreds of thousands, for Amazon to even notice.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That would have to be an awful lot of people, we are talking at least hundreds of thousands, for Amazon to even notice.

Yeah, sadly, easier said than done. You would need a massive boycott and there is no way to pull something like that together.

While I do get occasional shipping delays, I am more concerned about ordering Blu-ray/4k titles that go on sale and it takes several weeks to months for them to ship (I am still waiting on Casablanca 4k that I ordered 3 weeks ago).

I recently complained about this to support and they told me that if the title is not at my local warehouse, the order will just sit until new items come into stock. I am assuming they don't pull orders from other warehouses where the item is in stock which seems ridiculous to me.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I recently complained about this to support and they told me that if the title is not at my local warehouse, the order will just sit until new items come into stock. I am assuming they don't pull orders from other warehouses where the item is in stock which seems ridiculous to me.
That is just a scripted response. The fact of the matter is that Amazon is likely completely sold out on that title at all of their fulfillment centers, and once SDS ships enough to begin filling orders again, that is when you order will ship. I recently saw the same thing when I ordered Paul on Blu-ray for $5, but had a ship date of 12/15. Luckily, their warehouse in Ohio got replenished earlier than expected, and my order then shipped ASAP, but was shipped UPS Ground to Nevada (that is where my point of Prime shipping not being what it used to be). The disc arrived last week.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That is just a scripted response. The fact of the matter is that Amazon is likely completely sold out on that title at all of their fulfillment centers, and once SDS ships enough to begin filling orders again, that is when you order will ship. I recently saw the same thing when I ordered Paul on Blu-ray for $5, but had a ship date of 12/15. Luckily, their warehouse in Ohio got replenished earlier than expected, and my order then shipped ASAP, but was shipped UPS Ground to Nevada (that is where my point of Prime shipping not being what it used to be). The disc arrived last week.

Gotcha. I see it happen often. I love the $10 Warner 4k price drops but it often comes with weeks of delay. Still, in the scheme of things, it's still a great deal and worth waiting for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks