What's new

Amazon Finally Pissed Me Off! (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
It seems Amazon is having a dispute with Combe Inc, makers of Just For Men hair coloring products, Grecian Formula, etc.

I had monthly Subscribe and Save orders with Amazon for Just For Men's Hair and beard coloring products, but as of March 1, these are now only available from third party resellers (not even fulfilled by Amazon) at outrageous prices, and my Subscribe and Save orders cancelled. Worse, even my local Safeway has stopped selling the Just For Men line. I guess I'll be going grey from now on...

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Watch "Just For Men". After years of dying my grey beard brown, I went to use it and it literally felt as if my face was burning off. I was left with a painful rash and a deep red face. I could not use it again.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I don’t dye my hair or beard. It doesn’t bother me in the least that I’m going grey / white and starting to get a thin but not quite bald spot in the back. That’s been happening for 17-18 years now. In unrelated news, I’ve been married for 19 years… 🤔 If others are bothered by it, they can sod right off. As I’ve oft told my wife, “If I went completely bald tomorrow, it wouldn’t bother me a bit. It’d actually be nice and I could save 5 minutes getting ready for work”.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Watch "Just For Men". After years of dying my grey beard brown, I went to use it and it literally felt as if my face was burning off. I was left with a painful rash and a deep red face. I could not use it again.
I have been using it for years and haven't had any problems.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I don’t dye my hair or beard. It doesn’t bother me in the least that I’m going grey / white and starting to get a thin but not quite bald spot in the back. That’s been happening for 17-18 years now. In unrelated news, I’ve been married for 19 years… 🤔 If others are bothered by it, they can sod right off. As I’ve oft told my wife, “If I went completely bald tomorrow, it wouldn’t bother me a bit. It’d actually be nice and I could save 5 minutes getting ready for work”.
When I started going grey (beard first), my kids constantly said "Dad - you should dye your beard!" OK... why? I don't care and that's more time/trouble/expense than I want to deal with just so the beard isn't grey. Now I'm mostly grey all over (hair and beard) and I still don't care.

My dad dyed his hair (never had a beard) my whole life. Mom was a beautician, noticed one day he had some grey in his hair, said "Why don't you let me dye your hair? It'd look nice." So he did. All the ladies at church made a fuss over him and he just never stopped.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I dye my beard because my facial hair is much grayer than my head hair. I have some gray head hair, but my beard is like totally gray. I used to use Just For Men®, but now I use henna powder to dye it. Unlike regular dyes, henna does not have any caustic ingredients. Also, it does not stain skin, so I can slap it on and not worry if I stay in the lines.

It comes in a bag that consists of green henna powder, and is available in various shades. You mix it into a paste with warm water and cover all the area you want to color. A downside is that you have to leave it on for at least 30 or more minutes. As it dries, it becomes a sort of shell (you'll look like one of those bearded GI Joe figures)). When you rinse it off you have to work to get it all out. Another down side is that it does not set the color immediately, but takes 8-12 hours. If the beard is quite gray, that hair will have a greenish tinge until it sets. For that reason it is recommended to apply it in the evening when you are not going anywhere, and it will be set when you get up the next day. I usually do it on Saturday in the morning. Because I do it about every two weeks, my beard does not go totally gray, so the greenish tint is not that noticeable. I keep my beard quite short, which is why I have to do it so often due to the gray growing out. A longer and thicker beard could probably wait longer between colorings. YMMV.

I order this from a company called EARTH DYE. They have FAQs and links to videos on their website that explains how to use it. I feel that the henna dye does not fade as much as Just For Men® does. Also, the color looks more natural. Just For Men® often looks artificial because it colors so intensely. If you leave the Just For Men® on too long it can cause a fake dyed look. The henna does not cover that way. The grayer hair may not come out quite as dark as less gray hair, so you get a more natural variation in the color. I have been using this for several years and no longer bother with Just For Men® products. The henna is available in a variety of colors. I think for black you have to combine two colors. I'm ash brown and order their regular brown.

I also tried Control GX. I didn't care for it as it can dye the skin. It's like a shampoo, and thus is hard to keep off the skin. The henna is best for me.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I’d be clean shaven if I were single. As it is, my wife had decreed that I shall always maintain some form of facial hair so I have a permanent Van Dyke.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
My wife says I look too young without a beard (she's afraid of being accused as a cradle robber), and too old if I allow my beard to go grey.

To steer things back on topic, I decided to give Amazon's Rx Pass program a tryout, and move most of my prescriptions to their Pharmacy. For those unfamiliar with Rx Pass, Prime members can pay an additional $5 per month and receive any generic medications that are part of their Rx Pass program at no additional charge. I found that most of the generic meds I have prescriptions for are on that plan, and was spending roughly $45 a month to have them filled locally with Good Rx coupons (I would be spending hundreds more if I went thru insurance). For those meds, I have found it to be quite a money saver so far. What I also found was that the few meds that were NOT on the list ended up being cheaper thru Amazon as well. The real caveat, though, is that some meds Amazon will only fill for up to 30 days at a time, but they are not exactly specified anywhere on the Pharmacy website storefront. And one thing I just found out today is that sometimes the Prime member price does not always match what the checkout price is. I spent an hour on the phone (after sitting on hold for 45 minutes waiting for an agent) with a supervisor and she couldn't figure it out, either (I had actually initially called about something else). She has filed a ticket for that to be investigated. It is not a huge deal (we are talking at most $0.25 overcharge in one instance), but still...

However, I will say that I have only spoken to US-based agents when contacting Amazon Pharmacy, and calling always requires two-factor authentication before the agent can look at your records. That is something I am pretty OK with.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
No way this is a scam, right? LOL!

1679964007336.png

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Looks like a MP vendor put their offering in the wrong place - or it's some kind of scam as it lists the seller as "Amazon.com Services LLC" and it's a "New Seller" - Amazon does not use "Services LLC" after their name - at least not that I've ever seen. I can't even get what you're seeing to show up doing a search for that album...

Looking it up... Amazon.com Services LLC is "a verified Amazon Home Services provider servingSeattle(WA)." and they *do* offer digital cards for various gaming platforms but don't list mp3 in their separate area catalog.

I still think it's a scam - or Amazon has something really messed up (not outside possibility).

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Looks like a MP vendor put their offering in the wrong place - or it's some kind of scam as it lists the seller as "Amazon.com Services LLC" and it's a "New Seller" - Amazon does not use "Services LLC" after their name - at least not that I've ever seen. I can't even get what you're seeing to show up doing a search for that album...
Go to the CD version of the album, click on "See all 7 formats and editions" then click on the $5.99 price under "New from"

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Go to the CD version of the album, click on "See all 7 formats and editions" then click on the $5.99 price under "New from"
Ahh... I'd just clicked on the main price...

I pulled up the vendor page - it's a scam.

Here's their vendor heading:
1680115796534.png

And when you visit their storefront, here's what they sell:

1680115632175.png

*Every* listing is an MP3 - no exception that I found. Looks like they're listing popular stuff hoping people will snag a copy - which is likely bad/virus laden - giving them a chunck o change before Amazon catches on -or- they're just now setting things up and will soon replace all those mp3's with too-cheap-to-pass-up products that will never ship.

I reported them using the "Tell us what you think about this page" form (link at the bottom of the seller's page).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
This is Amazon and DHL stupidity...

2 packages... 1 from Amazon, 1 from a MP vendor (DHL). *Both* left Memphis, which is ~60 miles from my house, with 1 going to Houston and the other going to Katy, TX (which appears to be a Houston suberb). That's just plain stupid, wasteful, and absolutely not "green" in any way! Both are scheduled to be delivered by USPS and Memphis is a major USPS hub. They likely could have been "walked across the street" from the shippers to USPS and not been trucked hundreds of miles away only to be trucked back to Memphis for USPS injection... What kind of "logistics" are these people using?!?!?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Amazon is hitting me with retro charges left and right today on a package that contained nine orders total that was lost and never delivered, but they did ship replacements. What happened was the agent who processed the replacements used the wrong reason code, despite the fact that I called in when I was hit with e-mails reminding me to return the items I never received.

What I was told was if this happens again, when requesting a call back, ask for the billing department as soon as you are connected, and be firm about it. Once a retro charge is made, the only department that can reverse it is Billing, regardless of what the customer service agent tells you.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
This is Amazon and DHL stupidity...

2 packages... 1 from Amazon, 1 from a MP vendor (DHL). *Both* left Memphis, which is ~60 miles from my house, with 1 going to Houston and the other going to Katy, TX (which appears to be a Houston suberb). That's just plain stupid, wasteful, and absolutely not "green" in any way! Both are scheduled to be delivered by USPS and Memphis is a major USPS hub. They likely could have been "walked across the street" from the shippers to USPS and not been trucked hundreds of miles away only to be trucked back to Memphis for USPS injection... What kind of "logistics" are these people using?!?!?
Unfortunately, that is just how those carriers route their shipments. Fed Ex air shipments, regardless of where they are shipped from, must go thru their hub in Memphis, even if it is only going from Los Angeles to San Diego. All UPS Ground and Fed Ex Ground coming out of California or Arizona going to my home in Northern Nevada are routed thru Sacramento, even if it is closer to route thru Las Vegas. Oh, and anything coming from Las Vegas quite literally goes past my house on a freight truck so it can be sorted in Reno.

Users who are viewing this thread