What's new

Amazon.com no longer shipping orders overseas? (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I was going to pre-order some titles due to be shipping this week - the 1917 4K UHD, among them - and none of the titles will ship to Norway. Checked all the titles I recently ordered and if I were to try and purchase them again, I'm notified that they won't ship to my address. Any other overseas member experiencing the same?

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Outside of any internal error, has your country demanded that Amazon US charge VAT to your orders and for Amazon to remit the tax to your country's collection agency(this includes on shipping cost)? This happened to me from Australia and I can only order from Amazon Australia who will source some items from Amazon US. This happened in July 2018 after a delay of 12 months implementing it. They source occasionally from non-Amazon business in UK and Europe and add the tax but won't order from Amazon UK/Germany/France.My country has a 10% VAT style tax. Recently New Zealand followed us just in time for Christmas and they charge 15% VAT style. It has cost me a lot of extra money and I am on an Aged Pension from my government. Much I can no longer get. I have had to change the address a couple of times to my name at my local post office where I own a post box anyway. That has worked. I have switched to DeepDiscount for many things now and usually wait for the 15% off sales which helps and they charge the tax, of course and use the US Fedex delivery which has to come to my door which is not always to my liking. DHL does deliver to the post office often thru relabelled Australia Post stickers. Better delivery control. Of course, I can no longer get the Amazon US pre-order refund when prices lower up to the first week after release. Greed of governments that always hurts the people who can't afford to pay extra.

Hope this gives you a clue to what might be going on.

Pictureman

Agent
Real Name
Frank
Several titles I checked will ship to Ireland, 1917 does not in any format. This is happening often for me lately on both Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com. I just order elsewhere.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I just tried to order a CD from Amazon.co.uk and it seemed OK to ship it to me in the US. I didn't confirm but it gave me an estimated delivery date, etc. On the home page there was a notice about increased delivery times to to the pandemic.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I ordered the Laika 3D set with Coraline as a gift for someone way ahead of time. Coming next week. That person is vulnerable to the virus. Will have to figure out what to do.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don't know about overseas shipments, but I was shopping on amazon.com for 4K disc releases this morning, and EVERY title I looked at had this information listed for domestic U.S. delivery. A month out. Every title. Looks like the push to streaming will be getting even more of a boost.

upload_2020-3-22_9-18-37.png

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yep. Posted in case people weren't aware. This affects a lot more than shiny discs. Many people, especially right now, rely on Amazon for the majority of their shopping. This will complicate things.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I ordered some blu rays from Amazon.de (Germany) in very late February and normally they arrive in about two weeks but Amazon.de still shows on its way so I think the entire mail system is affected on both sides of the Atlantic. I ordered some blu rays from Indicator/Powerhouse during their recent sale and the tracking shows they've arrived in the U.S. on March 18th but nothing after that. If I don't get them this week, I'll start to worry.

With the recent news of Warner Archives no longer accepting mail orders, I suspect this will be par for the course in the coming months.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't know about overseas shipments, but I was shopping on amazon.com for 4K disc releases this morning, and EVERY title I looked at had this information listed for domestic U.S. delivery. A month out. Every title. Looks like the push to streaming will be getting even more of a boost.

View attachment 70199

I feel like this is ultimately good and responsible news. Discs are not an essential item and people are now relying on Amazon for critical needs.

I don’t want someone needed supply of medicine or food or diapers or what have you to be delayed because an Amazon algorithm is prioritizing fulfilling a disc order I made. Warehouse workers and delivery workers are in short supply, and as per a New York Times article published yesterday, working in conditions that don’t allow social distancing, are not getting the safety supplies they need to protect themselves, are being pressured to work while sick and possibly showing virus symptoms, are terrified of working in the warehouse and of making deliveries, but have little or no access to health care or paid leave and therefore feel that they must show up or lose their jobs and homes. It’s not even factored into the equation that if they’re sick and handling your food and goods, you might get it too. It’s not considered that making sick people travel to work or travel for work spreads the virus faster and further.

An argument can be made that some risks for some people are unavoidable and that our collective need to eat outweighs those potential dangers to workers. But when it comes to discs... that doesn’t seem to clear that high bar.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I feel like this is ultimately good and responsible news. Discs are not an essential item and people are now relying on Amazon for critical needs.

I don’t want someone needed supply of medicine or food or diapers or what have you to be delayed because an Amazon algorithm is prioritizing fulfilling a disc order I made. Warehouse workers and delivery workers are in short supply, and as per a New York Times article published yesterday, working in conditions that don’t allow social distancing, are not getting the safety supplies they need to protect themselves, are being pressured to work while sick and possibly showing virus symptoms, are terrified of working in the warehouse and of making deliveries, but have little or no access to health care or paid leave and therefore feel that they must show up or lose their jobs and homes. It’s not even factored into the equation that if they’re sick and handling your food and goods, you might get it too. It’s not considered that making sick people travel to work or travel for work spreads the virus faster and further.

An argument can be made that some risks for some people are unavoidable and that our collective need to eat outweighs those potential dangers to workers. But when it comes to discs... that doesn’t seem to clear that high bar.

I don't disagree, and wasn't implying that it was "unfair" for discs to be targeted as non-essential. What I was trying to point out is that there are millions of people who rely on Amazon deliveries to get supplies, even more so now. Who knows what other items might be deemed non-essential, at Amazon's discretion, and become unavailable for weeks or even months, also more than likely by algorithmic means. All that will do is push people to go out in public to seek out what they need, which is not in anyone's best interest. It's a vexing situation and I don't envy the position of any business that's stuck in the middle, so to speak.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think in very short order, most non-essential businesses won’t be allowed to be open to the public anyway. That’s the case in New York. You can’t buy a disc in a store here today, so Amazon not shipping them here can’t force people to go out to buy them.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
As I mentioned in another thread, I'm not going to suddenly overflow the system by ordering a lot of discs, but I am going to keep my existing pre-orders from before the outbreak.

I got an email last night from Amazon informing me that my pre-order of Little Women will arrive Thursday, April 9. That's two days later than the release date delivery I would get under normal circumstances. That's completely fine. But it's interesting that every in-stock title now says April 21, which is farther out than the pre-order is currently being set for delivery.

There is a UK release of another title (which as of yet has not been announced for a US release) that comes out in the end of April that I was planning to import via Amazon UK. I haven't ordered that one yet because the item has to be in stock before they will let the currency converter tool charge me for it in USD, so I was planning to order that on street date. I do hope they will still deliver to the US at that time. If not, I just wouldn't get it for a while, and that's fine. But it's something that I would very much like to have, so I hope the option of international shipping is still there.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I think in very short order, most non-essential businesses won’t be allowed to be open to the public anyway. That’s the case in New York. You can’t buy a disc in a store here today, so Amazon not shipping them here can’t force people to go out to buy them.

True, but again, I wasn't talking about discs.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Like almost every business, Amazon has prepared a message on how it is handling the crisis. I've attached the link below, but this message specifically states that "...in the short term, we are making the decision to temporarily prioritize household staples, medical supplies and other high-demand products coming into our fulfillment centers so we can more quickly receive, restock and ship these products to customers."

https://blog.aboutamazon.com/compan...mmunities-and-customers-affected-by-covid-19/

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Like almost every business, Amazon has prepared a message on how it is handling the crisis. I've attached the link below, but this message specifically states that "...in the short term, we are making the decision to temporarily prioritize household staples, medical supplies and other high-demand products coming into our fulfillment centers so we can more quickly receive, restock and ship these products to customers."

https://blog.aboutamazon.com/compan...mmunities-and-customers-affected-by-covid-19/
The area I live in has several fulfillment centers/warehouses and Amazon says they are wanting to hire people to work in the centers and are giving stay bonuses to the current employees ...

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
  • Amazon has also from last week, stopped posting to Australia.Probably due to our borders being closed and very few International planes arriving. Blame it on the Corona virus.Same for Amazon UK.No point in Amazon posting to countries that have closed their borders as the parcels would be stuck in storage indefinitely..Surely you can all realize this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks