What's new

Second Sight The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Limited Edition 4K UHD & Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I pre-ordered the Second Sight Special Edition - this looks as though it will outshine even their spectacular Dawn Of The Dead box. As the order didn't ship on the expected release date yesterday, and is now listed as "out of stock" on their website, I sent an email to enquire. I received a speedy reply that the stock for the store was delivered late and that this title is their biggest ever pre-order.

Just goes to show: despite there being a concurrent US release for half the price, collectors in 2023 are willing to pay top dollar for a really well assembled physical media package. I've had the German 4K UHD since 2018, but I am really interested in the 190 page hardback book, included with the Second Sight Limited Edition. The supplements also seem to be considerably more than even the US release included.

Only three weeks until Second Sight release their new 4K restoration of Picnic At Hanging Rock - this will also be a very nice Limited Edition.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I've had my eye on this UK label for a couple of years now. Initially I thought they were a startup but apparently they've been around since the 90's. They consistently put out great releases in cool collectible packaging.

I have the TCM box in-hand and it really is a sight to behold (talking about both the PQ and quality of the box and contents). I think the film looks the best it ever has and seriously doubt it can be improved upon. Right from the opening shot it's easy to tell you'll be in for a treat. I skipped the US release in anticipation of this edition and I don't regret that decision although I may grab a copy at some point just to have all the extras. It's worth noting that this UK release is locked to Region B (at least the Blu-ray is). I preordered the Picnic set and I hotly anticipate that release as well.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I've had my eye on this UK label for a couple of years now. Initially I thought they were a startup but apparently they've been around since the 90's. They consistently put out great releases in cool collectible packaging.

I have the TCM box in-hand and it really is a sight to behold (talking about both the PQ and quality of the box and contents). I think the film looks the best it ever has and seriously doubt it can be improved upon. Right from the opening shot it's easy to tell you'll be in for a treat. I skipped the US release in anticipation of this edition and I don't regret that decision although I may grab a copy at some point just to have all the extras. It's worth noting that this UK release is locked to Region B (at least the Blu-ray is). I preordered the Picnic set and I hotly anticipate that release as well.
You lucky thing! How have managed to get your mitts on this box so quickly?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
You lucky thing! How have managed to get your mitts on this box so quickly?

Diabolikdvd.com - a local e-tailer that routinely ships out orders early. Had I imported directly from the UK I would still be waiting, maybe for weeks still. I don't have the patience to wait interminably.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Diabolikdvd.com - a local e-tailer that routinely ships out orders early. Had I imported directly from the UK I would still be waiting, maybe for weeks still. I don't have the patience to wait interminably.
Gosh - seems rather odd that Second Sight would supply retailers overseas, before they receive their own stock to fulfil pre-paid pre-orders! I've ordered from DiabolikDVD before and they have good customer service and shipping - but are expensive for Europeans! I'll just have have wait, now that it's out of stock everywhere else.

I'm impressed that these cult films sell so well. Makes me wonder what would happen, if, say, Sound of Music was given the Limited Edition super duper box treatment, like they did back in the LaserDisc days. Would it immediately sell out? I know I'd buy it!

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Copies are in the wind. There's already tons of youtube unboxing videos. If I'd ordered from Orbit DVD (another great Stateside e-tailer) I would've gotten my copy even sooner. Did you order from Second Sight? I agree it's odd that other suppliers have stock and are shipping but not the actual label.

Cult films and boutique labels are what's keeping physical media alive. The major studios have ramped up production (2023 is already a very busy year) but I rarely get excited with their discs because they're so generic and boring. Not all major studio stuff is lifeless but I get a much bigger kick out of these boutique label Limited Editions. The boutiques are trying to emulate the Laserdisc glory days and I think they're doing a bang up job, even surpassing the fanciest LD in terms of bonus content and packaging. And as long as we keep buying, they'll keep making our dreams come true.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I've been reading the hardbound book, included with the Second Sight limited edition. The essays are very informative and interesting. I have several of Second Sight's limited editions, but I think this is their best effort to date and rate it as one of the best supplements ever included with a blu-ray or 4K UHD disc - well worth the extra cash. There aren't many publishers doing quality stuff like this - the hardbound books included with the Columbia Classics 4K boxes are also superb value. The Lawrence Of Arabia 50th anniversary blu-ray box set also has an excellent hardbound book, with lovely photographs. The book included with Criterion's Ingmar Bergman's Cinema is good, although it is not hardbound. As regarding books included with films, I think I would have to go back to the days of LaserDisc, for the very best: the Pioneer Special Edition of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. That was probably the pinnacle of what was achievable, when it came to books commissioned for inclusion with a home video disc. It was so good, it was almost as if the disc included, was an afterthought!

IMG_3096.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks