What's new

All Things Disney Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Mike Frezon said:
I don't want to derail my own thread ( :biggrin: )...but there's also that Making of..." DVD of the recording of West Side Story featuring Bernstein, Carreras and Te Kanawa.

And there was also a program I saw once of the cast recording of The King and I featuring Julie Andrews and Ben Kingsley. Not sure, though, if that was ever released on home video.

I love "Something's Coming" in the WSS video - poor Jose Carreras can't get the meter to save his life and Lenny gets a little ticked.

And with all due respect to Julie Andrews, who is my Prima Diva of all time, I enjoy the video of the recording session more than the album itself. There was also a video of the recording of her Richard Rodgers album, which is fun but not as special as K&I.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
That's one I didn't know about till Mike mentioned it (the Andrews/Kingsley). Is it available? I'll search, of course...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Charles Smith said:
That's one I didn't know about till Mike mentioned it (the Andrews/Kingsley). Is it available? I'll search, of course...

Kevin'll know. Was it ever released to home video? I'm not thinking it was.

Ooooooh! I forgot Lea Salonga was in that cast. Hers is the voice of an angel. And John Mauceri was the conductor. Very good!

It DOES have an IMDB listing.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Adam Jacobs (who stars as Aladdin in the Broadway production and can be heard in the role on the cast album) released an album of Alan Menken songs today: http://www.playbill.com/news/article/aladdin-star-releases-right-where-i-belong-album-today-375152. It's not clear how we can get this, though. I'm sure it's being sold at the New Amsterdam Theatre in NYC where Aladdin is playing, but as someone who can't get there anytime soon, I'm hoping there's another way to get a physical copy.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Charles Smith said:

It was not released commercially, but it appears to be on youtube in its entirety here (albeit with poor sound)

what was released commercially is the video of the recording session of Julie's Richard Rodgers album. There are snippets of that on youtube.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Aladdin arrived today. I'm hoping to import into iTunes tonight and start listening "soon." Probably would be something good to keep for three plane trips in the next week...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't want to sound like I am pushing here, but anybody on the fence about the Hunchback album might want to get off sooner than later. The 15% off code HOLIDAY15 at Sh-K-Boom.com will expire at the end of the day on New Year's Eve. Meanwhile, Amazon has jacked up their price of same to $18.47 pre-tax. So, if you want to get it for $12.74, act soon. Here is the link again: http://www.sh-k-boom.com/hunchback-of-notre-dame

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
JakeLip said:
Adam Jacobs (who stars as Aladdin in the Broadway production and can be heard in the role on the cast album) released an album of Alan Menken songs today: http://www.playbill.com/news/article/aladdin-star-releases-right-where-i-belong-album-today-375152. It's not clear how we can get this, though. I'm sure it's being sold at the New Amsterdam Theatre in NYC where Aladdin is playing, but as someone who can't get there anytime soon, I'm hoping there's another way to get a physical copy.

THIS makes it look like you are right about physical CDs, Jake. But there are lots of other ways to procure a copy (if you don't mind digital copies).

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
JakeLip said:
I don't want to sound like I am pushing here, but anybody on the fence about the Hunchback album might want to get off sooner than later. The 15% off code HOLIDAY15 at Sh-K-Boom.com will expire at the end of the day on New Year's Eve. Meanwhile, Amazon has jacked up their price of same to $18.47 pre-tax. So, if you want to get it for $12.74, act soon. Here is the link again: http://www.sh-k-boom.com/hunchback-of-notre-dame

PUSHER! :D Seriously, I have mine preordered and I've been very happy with the Aladdin CD I ordered at the same time. I had it playing in the bathroom via Bluetooth over the weekend. Andrey walked in, made a funny face and said it sounded "wrong." I told him it was from the stage show and, again making a face, he wanted to know why I needed another version of the soundtrack.

And then he started singing to it...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Two more new tracks from Hunchback have been released for download -- "Topsy Turvey Part 1" (that song is split among two tracks because there are some other tracks in between, which means they must have reconfigured it somewhat for the stage version) and a new song called "Top of the World." I listened to 30 second previews of these and they are good, but I think I am going to resist buying them separately from the main album, which should be coming in a couple weeks anyway. It's one thing to listen to the opening number early, and quite another to listen to random songs from the middle of the album out of sequence for the first time.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Mike Frezon said:
Dammit! I forgot to set my DVR for GMA this morning.

Anybody catch the performance?

Not it, Mike. I'm sure they'll pop up on YouTube before too long. Everything else does... :)

On another note, I'm not-so-patiently waiting for my Hunchback CD to ship and get here....

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
For Mike, Jason and anybody else waiting on the Hunchback CD from Sh-K-Boom....

Well, I've got some bad news.

Sh-K-Boom (the record label releasing Hunchback) is extremely responsive to questions on its Facebook page. As I indicated earlier in this thread, they frequently ship CDs early for people who pre-order directly from them. So it makes sense that somebody asked them for an estimated date of when the CDs would ship. The response from their official, verified account is:

They will go out the week of the release. No early shipping on this one, unfortunately!

I have to say this is a bit of a surprise to me, as I have been buying their various new releases directly from them for a few years now and this is the first time ever that one of my pre-orders was not shipped in advance of the release date. So I guess we'll all get it shipped out next week and not early. Early shipping is technically never guaranteed with them, but has never not happened in my past experience. Oh well. I guess it will arrive for us either on the release date (if they ship it a few days ahead) or the following week (if it is actually shipped on the release date.)

The good news in all this is: A) we still got it cheaper than Amazon and with free shipping; B) we supported an independent record label directly, which is always nice; and, C) they do actually get here rather quickly once they're shipped. I got shipping confirmation from them on another order (non-Hunchhback) CD order last Friday, the 8th. The CD was in my mailbox today (Tuesday, 12th.)

So, not a terrible wait at all.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, that's alright. I'm not hard up for stuff to listen to and I never expect to get things prior to release date. That's always a nice bonus, but never expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks