What's new

All Things Disney Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
For anybody interested more in MP3s than physical discs, that album Mike just pictured is being offered by Disney Movie Rewards for $7.99 with purchase of the Aladdin Blu-ray (which I assume anybody who is posting in this thread probably bought anyway.) That being said, I really have no interest in covers myself; I'll just stick to the original soundtracks.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
JakeLip said:
For anybody interested more in MP3s than physical discs, that album Mike just pictured is being offered by Disney Movie Rewards for $7.99 with purchase of the Aladdin Blu-ray (which I assume anybody who is posting in this thread probably bought anyway.) That being said, I really have no interest in covers myself; I'll just stick to the original soundtracks.

Gee, Jake...I've got a ton of Disney cover CDs. I find them a lot of fun...and it seems to me as if each one includes one or two diamonds that I just absolutely love. Some have been obscure: like Sun Ra. Some have been "different": like the alternative disc with Tom Waits version of Heigh-Ho... But I love hearing the different interpretations of the songs which I have come to know inside out!

I guess it's the same reason I enjoy hearing new surround mixes of classic rock songs. It keeps things fresh for me and helps me appreciate the original source material that much more.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Mike Frezon said:
Gee, Jake...I've got a ton of Disney cover CDs. I find them a lot of fun...and it seems to me as if each one includes one or two diamonds that I just absolutely love. Some have been obscure: like Sun Ra. Some have been "different": like the alternative disc with Tom Waits version of Heigh-Ho... But I love hearing the different interpretations of the songs which I have come to know inside out!

Nothing wrong with this in general; I just don't like it, but that's probably because I also generally dislike the type of pop music done by the people on the album. Now, my being a Broadway nut, something like Michael Crawford's Disney album is terrific, but the kind of stuff on the album you linked to, not so much. I just don't generally care for the kind of pop there.

Bob_S. said:
Has anyone seen this yet?

I noticed that a while back. I wonder if the LP will sell well enough as a standalone release to justify the cost of making the album -- I would love a CD, also, but I don't do LPs.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll have to do a roundup of the different covers discs I've gotten over the years. I gotta figure there's nearly every genre represented.

Lots of Crawford-type recordings. Barbara Cook comes to mind. But I'll need to check my collection.

============

That LP set looks spectacular. I've never heard of Fairfax Classics. And I've never been that into the music from the Silly Symphonies to want to pay anywhere near that much for it to listen to it without the cartoons themselves. The Treasures discs are fine for me. Oh sure, I'd get them again in Blu.

I wonder how good they can actually get those recordings to sound?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just discovered this thread and it's been a really fun read.

And I'm really excited to learn about that Disneyland soundtrack!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I thought this would be worth posting here:

Preorders have begun for the studio cast album of the stage score for The Hunchback of Notre Dame, which has additional material by Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz not in the film.

It's being released by Sh-K-Boom/Ghostlight Records, which is an independent label specializing in cast albums. Why Disney doesn't want to release this on their own label is beyond me, but Sh-K-Boom does an outstanding job on their cast albums, so we're going to get a classy release.

Orders directly from the label usually ship early, and their 15% off sale until the end of the year (use code HOLIDAY15 at checkout) will knock the price down to $12.74. Amazon has the same preordering for $14.99 with a January 22 release date.

http://www.sh-k-boom.com/hunchback-of-notre-dame

Sh-K-Boom also has Newsies and Aladdin in stock and eligible for the 15% off sale. I'd recommend those, also, to anyone who thinks they'll be interested. Aladdin features Jonathan Freeman, the original voice of Jafar, reprising his role, with a new song.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Jason_V said:
Thanks Jake! Ordered both Hunchback and Aladdin...I shouldn't have, but I did! :)

I think you'll be pleased with Aladdin. Besides Jonathan Freeman as Jafar, which is a real treat to hear again all these years later, some of the new songs added to the stage version are actually older songs that Alan Menken and Howard Ashman wrote together for the movie which got cut. So, it's a really fun new experience.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I got to see Aladdin when it was in Seattle for their try out performances a few years ago. Super fun experience and I'm happy to get the official album.

I think I've seen Aladdin in just about every way I can: in a theater on original release, on stage, on VHS, on DVD, on BD and the musical spectacular at California Adventure.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
JakeLip said:
I think you'll be pleased with Aladdin. Besides Jonathan Freeman as Jafar, which is a real treat to hear again all these years later, some of the new songs added to the stage version are actually older songs that Alan Menken and Howard Ashman wrote together for the movie which got cut. So, it's a really fun new experience.

There are also a couple of bonus tracks at the end of the cd that are more than worth the price of admission. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Digital preorders for the Hunchback album are open on iTunes now, and they're including "The Bells of Notre Dame" (which is 7 minutes long) now, prior to the release of the whole album on January 22. You can also buy that track individually, and even though I already preordered the CD, I couldn't resist the preview, so parted with $1.29 to get that now. It is the song from the film, but the story has been changed somewhat so there's new verses, and the singing is terrific.

I'm very excited to hear the rest and am hopeful that we might get it early, as Sh-K-Boom/Ghostlight frequently ships preorders out prior to release date for those who order directly from them. They never guarantee this, but the last time I preordered a CD, it arrived in my mailbox on November 25, and its general release date to retailers is December 18.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
You know, it's a 7 minute track, so it's not like we're being asked to pay $1.29 for something short. At least that's my rationalization. ;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
OMG...that looks (and sounds) so good.

I wish, I wish, I wish that they would release a documentary of the recording of the album. I LOVE those! I own a couple: the famous DA Pennebaker film of Company and Guys and Dolls: On the Record (Land/Broderick).

I think they are fascinating. I may be leaving out another one or two that I own but aren't coming to me right now.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Thanks for reminder. I need to get that Guys and Dolls one.

The Company one is beyond great. I'm due for another watching.

If some Wagner opera would be of interest, there's a similarly superb documentary on the early-1960s recording of Solti's Ring Cycle.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't want to derail my own thread ( :biggrin: )...but there's also that Making of..." DVD of the recording of West Side Story featuring Bernstein, Carreras and Te Kanawa.

And there was also a program I saw once of the cast recording of The King and I featuring Julie Andrews and Ben Kingsley. Not sure, though, if that was ever released on home video.

AND...I screwed up a couple of posts ago. Matthew Broderick was NOT ever in Guys and Dolls. The recording I'm referring to DID feature Nathan Lane. But the other principals were Peter Gallagher, Josie de Guzman and Faith Prince. This one is probably my favorite.

Lane & Broderick did, however, appear together in Recording the Producers...the story of the making of that cast album. Mel Brooks also took part.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks