bobraleigh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bob
i remember this show fondly from when i watched when i was younger,

i do have a question though, does anyone else here think this set is

overpriced?

why does universal price this so high?

i think riptide is overpriced too, with a 19.99 to 24.95 price point i think these

sets would sell better.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I had to check. The MSRP is $39.98 according to the guys at TVShowsonDVD.com. What does that usually translate to at B&Ms? $32.99 on release week? I don't know. Maybe this could be a $27.99 release?

Sure, I'd like lower...but it doesn't seem out-of-line compared to other product on the market.

Mary_P

Second Unit
It's already on Universal's website for pre-order at $29.99. I don't think the price is out of line at all, although since it was a midseason replacement, it's less episodes (15) than many sets and I haven't seen any extras announced for it. Worth every penny to me, but of course I hope it sells well enough that we'll get the rest of the series.

Hey, at least it's not the $59.99 MSRP that "Quantum Leap" S1 (9 eps) and "Northern Exposure" S1 (8 eps) originally were when they came out....

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Oops...I thought this thread was announcing "ALAS SMITH AND JONES," the UK sketch comedy series with Mel Smith and Gryff-Rhys Jones. ;)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That name was chosen with a big wink to the Western series. Very funny series, BTW. I'm sure it will come to DVD once too.

Mike,

Yes, that 90 min first episode is "the pilot" in my previous post.

Cees

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I've received more than a few pissy emails directed at me for listing "Alias Smith and Jones" as "Alas Smith & Jones" on the website, even when there are 13 years separating the premieres of each show.

Gord

Professor_Echo

Stunt Coordinator
I have every episode on DVD-R except for the pilot movie and the first episode of the second season, which was 90 minutes and later released as a tv movie entitled THE DAY THEY HUNG KID CURRY. Neither that show nor the pilot were included in syndication. I recorded them all off of satellite from the WESTERNS CHANNEL and think I should probably wait to see the reviews on the first set before I decide to replace my home copies. As far as I know WESTERNS CHANNEL showed them uncut and the prints they used were beautiful.

I had the pleasure of meeting both Ben Murphy and Roger Davis recently and they were just as charming and gregarious as they appear on the series. Poor Roger was in a rather no-win situation, but after watching the entire series again I really think his Heyes is as interesting and accomplished as Duel's was, but forced to make a choice, I would pick Duel as my favorite. At least Roger has a sense of humor about it, adding to his autograph the name: "HANNIBAL HEYES II."

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
:laugh:
You must excuse those poor guys: the comedy series was aired in the UK.

Cees

Mary_P

Second Unit
I think "Alas" was aired in the US as well, though I can't remember who showed it here. I wouldn't mind picking that up either. Just got the two "Bit of Fry and Laurie" discs and looking forward to cracking them open; Griff and Mel would be a nice addition to the Britcom collection as well.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
wow I am really lookig forward to this.

I have learned so much new information from this thread alone, never knew all the background info

RobertW

Supporting Actor
I've watched the episodes on the western channel over the past couple of years, remembering that i loved this show as a kid. To me, Pete Duel will always be Heyes, as the show seemed to lose a bit when Roger Davis took over the role. a bit unfair to him perhaps, as someone mentioned above, he was put in a bit of a no-win situation, but I could just never get past it. was a big Pete Duel fan.

If i recall correctly, Davis first read for the role of Kid Curry that eventually went to Ben Murphy.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Received the book yesterday. Just started reading (merely browsing first :) ).
Excellent! And I already spotted a description of why and how they pulled that episode from The Virginian.
Thanks again for pointing this book out!

Also, I ordered the first series this week (DVDPlanet $27.96). It will be released on Feb 20th. Have to wait, but the book will help me through the period. :)

Cees

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

I have the Goodtimes tape of the pilot episode but also need that 90-minute second-season episode to complete my set, having gotten the rest off of Encore Westerns. Slim Pickens completists, frustrated at the unavailability of "Stump Run" (1959), also need "The Day They Hanged Kid Curry."

TomIXG

Grip
Real Name
Tom
Wow, this takes me back to my childhood! I really enjoyed these shows. Now, if we can only get "The Invaders" sci-fi TV on DVD, I'd be a happy guy.

Tom

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Had this on my list to buy and darn tootin if I didn't see a copy for sale - so naturally I bought it. All I can say is, them boys sure was tryin hard to open that there safe! I'm just into the pilot episode and it looks real good - sounds fine too! The four one sided dvds are housed in a case that opens to reveal two dvds per side, mounted on clear holders which Universal seems to like, such as on the Rockford Files - this in turn slides into the slipcase. Simple and it looks good. Only extra is a Commentary on the pilot episode by Writer/ Creator/ Producer Glen Larson. Let's see how fast those 90 minutes go by. :)

Mary_P

Second Unit
Wow, somebody had this out on the floor a full WEEK before the release date? Tsk tsk....

Thanks for the report. Too bad about the packaging -- I really hate overlapping discs. But at least they're single-sided, so that's an improvement over some Universal product. Can't wait to hear the Larson commentary.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Brent, Did you purchase at one of the standard 'Brick and Mortar' stores? Borders perhaps?

Like that avatar, by the way--it's graces the cover of a book I thoroughly enjoyed--"Saints and Avengers".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks